[Old PotW] POTW - 5/15/14

3D Animator and Rigger!!!
✔️ HL Verified
🎈 Advanced
Best answers
purdy :scared:

Best answers
Oh ShIZZ!!! That is a badass picture!! I haven't really seen Dying Namek since the maps release 2011 (officially released in 2012) video. Is the map working well????

Dream Match SSJ Vegeta vs 4th form Frieza on Dying Namek ;D

Death from Above
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Oh ShIZZ!!! That is a badass picture!! I haven't really seen Dying Namek since the maps release 2011 (officially released in 2012) video. Is the map working well????

Dream Match SSJ Vegeta vs 4th form Frieza on Dying Namek ;D
I haven't played on it yet but Ryo has been working hard on it lately getting all the shaders to work how they should

Best answers
Ooooooooh shit son! Looks cool buuuuuuuuuut hows progress with the aaaaaaaa models and animations? xD

✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
Good job, ofc picture edited with PS but still, i like that map with fire, i think it will be fun to play in that map. :)

Super Cool Wicked Guy
🌠 Staff
Best answers
LoL sry..i took the pic and i'm waaaay to lazy to use Photoshop(i even used Paint to save as png XD)

Red Saiyan Mod
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
🌟 Senior Member
Best answers
Awesome screenshot! Wow just looking at that and I remember what Namek's end used to look like back from the alpha days. There's just no comparison.

Only go forward sideways
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
🎈 Advanced
Best answers
It's pretty dramatic and nice but to me the lightning doesn't look right it's too straight and made up of curves. Kinda looks like tree branches or a SWAT team is gonna rope down from the sky lol. Lightning looks more radical as such:

Think of it as it's more made up of lots of zig-zagging straight lines like this:

Last edited:
Super Cool Wicked Guy
🌠 Staff
Best answers
Well the lightning itself is quite random and still heavy WIP^^ All other methodes i found wich can produce a more realistic shape also eat way more power to create the shape and i didn't want to spend much time and cpu power on them(they don't exist that long)

Super elite
✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
If we can predict thunder in real life. That'll be awesome. I will keep screaming and yelling.

Only go forward sideways
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
🎈 Advanced
Best answers
Well the lightning itself is quite random and still heavy WIP^^ All other methodes i found wich can produce a more realistic shape also eat way more power to create the shape and i didn't want to spend much time and cpu power on them(they don't exist that long)
Well from an anime perspective I believe they usually have lightning which doesn't branch off a lot and it's more of a single zig-zagged line. Eg.

To make it look good just try to make the direction changes in the lightning straight instead of curved that's all you need really. One way you could do it is just draw lots of single dots on the path you would like the lightning to go and then play a game of connect the dots :p. Make sure you have good thunder sounds which I'm sure you do judging from the clash videos we've seen :D

Last edited:
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I think the lightning itself is fine, I'm just not a fan of the white clouds that are above it. It looks like the skybox is pretty cloudy, I think it might look better if you guys made it look like the lightning was coming from that instead of the white clouds.

Misanthropist
🌠 Staff
🌈 Beta Tester
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I think the white clouds are actually the same clouds lit up from the lightning, Damaera. It's hard if not pointless to critique lightning from a single frame.

@Ryo - why would they be so system intensive? Using midpoint displacement, drawing lightning with script is rather simple, even for things like Flash. Detail doesn't even need to be that high to get a good effect.

Last edited:
Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I think the lightning itself is fine, I'm just not a fan of the white clouds that are above it. It looks like the skybox is pretty cloudy, I think it might look better if you guys made it look like the lightning was coming from that instead of the white clouds.
What Kynetik said. Its the light from the lightning itself reflected on the clouds.

Super Cool Wicked Guy
🌠 Staff
Best answers
Yep there is no skybox visible in that screen. It's all done in realtime so the white clouds are just lit up from the lightning. @KYnetiK Intensive in a way that a decent thunderstorm needs to create at least 1 bolt per frame. And those bolts now have allready around 150 random places controllpoints. Don't want to risk stuttering because of requesting to many random numbers

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom