Portal 2 E3 Presentation Cancelled

MC

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Valve, ever the trickster, has sent an e-mail out to members of the press from Aperture Science declaring the cancellation of the previously scheduled Portal 2 E3 presentation, which occur on Monday, June 14.

Within the email, written entirely in "character" from Aperture Science, is the promise of a surprise. Whether this surprise has something to do with Portal 2 or something else is anyone's guess.

My guess: Half-Life 2: Episode 3, which will crossover with Portal 2. The full email, which is hilarious, can be found here:

Dear Subject Name Here,

Aperture Science is pleased to inform you that we have partnered with Valve to announce the gala CANCELLATION of the June 14 Portal 2 event at the Regal Theater. The event will be replaced by a surprise. And even though the cancellation of the event certainly counts as a surprise, we are pleased to further announce that the cancellation of the event is not THE surprise. However, per International treaties regarding the definition of the word "surprise", of which both Aperture Science and Valve are signatories, the time, date and content of the actual surprise will only become available as you experience the surprise.

If you'd like to ask fruitless questions about the E3 Portal 2 surprise or, more fruitfully, schedule an appointment to attend a Portal 2 screening at the Valve booth during E3, please contact Valve's Special Envoy to Surprises, Doug Lombardi.

Thank you for **RECORD SCRATCH!!!**

PS: The surprising record scratch is also not the surprise.​
Source: http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/64064

Former Forcepit Member :(
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
if its episode 3 i am so getting it

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I love Valve so much. That e-mail almost makes up for it.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I love how they do stuff like this.

sub

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Counter-Strike: Source just got a huge update so it probably has nothing to do with that

Team Fortress 2 is still going strong / that community is already spoiled to death. Probably has nothing to do with TF2

Left 4 Dead 3 would be hilarious, but they wouldn't do that

Portal 2 just had its event canceled so that's out

Episode 3 is what everyone wants, and it's certainly about time, but I feel like this would steal Portal 2's thunder (remember that Portal 2 is coming out relatively soon). Maybe they'll do another bundle type deal and release it at the same time.

They could announce a new game (they did hire the guy who made the warcraft 3 defense of the ancients mod, I think he was hired to create something in that same vein), although I can't picture this happening for the same reason; it'd steal Portal 2's thunder.

I feel like whatever is replacing the Portal 2 event has to be Portal related. Therefore my bet is on a showcase of a new engine that Portal 2 / Episode 3 will be using. I know that source has been constantly updated, but there are some aspects of the engine that are very dated - Brush based mapping for instance. They're still using the same method of mapping that was used to create games like Quake and Half-Life (14 years is a huge amount of time in the software world). Everyone else has moved on, the fact is that Valve has their hands tied behind their back and they still manage to kick everyone elses ass. Imagine if Valve unties their hands and moves onto a new engine with model based mapping.

ANBU
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Whatever it is, i'll love it. Valve ftw :)

Force Pit Member
Best answers
Valve is really boundary breaking. They really started a lot of things we didn't see much before, and as far as I can remember, in 2004, when HL2 got released its graphics were the closest thing to realistic graphic and nothing too colorful like GTA.

brainfeeder
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Portal 2 and Half-Life Episode 3 are not surprises. :|

Half-Life 3, would be one.

Last edited:

MC

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Gabe Newell just shocked everyone by showing up at Sony's E3 2010 press conference to announce Portal 2 for the PlayStation 3.

"When the PlayStation 3 was introduced, I was the one of the platform's biggest critics," said Gabe Newell, president and co-founder of Valve. "However, Sony Computer Entertainment has proved that the PlayStation 3 is the most open platform of all the current generation consoles and has worked extremely hard to make the platform the most desirable for consumers and developers. As such, we are delighted to announce Portal 2 for the PlayStation 3 and believe the Steamworks support included will make it the best console version of the game," Newell said.

Portal 2 will be released for the PlayStation 3 alongside the PC, Mac, and Xbox 360 versions of the game. The PlayStation 3 version of Portal 2 will be the only console version to include Steamworks support.
Source: http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/64320

Trailer:

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/e3-2010-portal-2/101562

Last edited:
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
[video=youtube;-No_qvE5ItA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-No_qvE5ItA[/video]

He's also pretty funny.

ANBU
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Great trailer. :)
I can't wait for Portal 2.

Just a nice person :)
✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
Amazing how they are able to make the story go one.
You have to make a story which everyone likes (HARD) and still make the graphics look good all the same.

Valve is one of the most costumer friendly publishers I'm sure of that.

Base belongs to me.
👑 Administrator
🌠 Staff
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💎Légéñdārý
Best answers
Yea, I pretty like the way the story goes on after the first one. Seems the computer system is Literally rebuilding everything on its own.

ANBU
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
New features:
[video=youtube;Bq2mZoKkqMw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bq2mZoKkqMw&NR=1[/video]
Looks awesome. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom