Playstation 3 Launch Causes Violence

jp

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I myself thought it was unexpected.

Its a GAMING CONSOLE, for ENTERTAINMENT.

Its not something that will give you eternal life or something, geeze.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
jp said:

But it is something that can and probably will make you a ton of money on eBay.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Not really, ebay is closing a ****load of PS3 auctions, good luck trying to sell one there.

★ Black Lounger ★
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
they are only allowing one ps3 auction per account, and no "buy it nows" the ones getting closed are likely the ones not following those guidelines,

(unless im missing something)

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Majin You said:
Sony isn't the only corporation that takes hits here, nor is it public enemy #1 in this section, either, and we all know that ;/
Absolutely 100% wrong.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
What would be the point of mugging somebody in line for one of these? Only an idiot goes anywhere with more that $100 cash, and even that is pretty stupid. Hasn't anybody ever heard of credit?

whereswarren (King_Vegeta)
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
SaiyanPrideXIX said:
Absolutely 100% wrong.
I don't believe you...

Take us back about a year ago, who was hated upon by the masses then? Hey?
I can tell you they sure as hell weren't sony fanboys. Get over it pride- it's all got to do with the times. Atleast this time theres some basis for the bashing.

This is not Sonys time.

@topic: This is really sad, people suck.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Impression said:
Yes... it's always Sony's fault. As if it wouldn't have happened if they sent over another 500,000. I didn't hear about any violence in Japan... and they had only 100,000.
I phail at two things, spelling, and seeing where I said "OMG OM GOMG OAHDGOANHGOnto03HTOANGOAITSALLSONY'SFAULTFORTHELOVEOFGODIHATESONYITSALLTHEIRFAULTNOSPACESHAHAH"

I highly doubt that had sony made enough consoles for every family in the US to have one this wouldn't happen. People want them badly because after they sell, there won't be anymore, and once there are no more, people will sell them for higher, and make profit out of the people who want it bad enough.

I don't remember this happening with the PS, or PS2, or any other console for that matter. Yet it's happening with the PS3?

If they kept supplying the PS3's none of this (or at least it would be drastically reduced) would have happened because they could rest assured knowing they could "always come back tomorrow". But they can't do that, so they do what they KNOW will ensure them a ps3. And that's stealing it and using force.

MC

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Chris` said:
If they kept supplying the PS3's none of this (or at least it would be drastically reduced) would have happened because they could rest assured knowing they could "always come back tomorrow".
Sony (any company for that matter) will only produce a certain amount of units to be sold in stores. The amount of units they produce is determined by numerous estimates given by people they hire. Now, I'm pretty sure the cost for making one unit is pretty expensive, let alone multiple units. So, with the cost of production in mind, Sony will only produce a specific amount of units. The amount of units they produce and sell will bring in revenue that will fund a certain percentage of the production costs to build more units. As time progresses, more revenue is generated - more units will be produced.

Sony has already placed a lot of money into the Playstation 3, so they want to minimize how much more of their money they will have to spend on producing units and then utilize their revenue.

Now, if you want to blame anyone, blame the people Sony hired to give them the estimates.

Live free or die by the sword
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
My only comment on this is, gee, wasn't it wonderfull to cut grass and work overtime to get shot and stabbed?

<3 Ken Kutaragi

I'm also hearing reports of console failures already. Also not a surprise.

2D/3D Artist
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
jp said:

You'd be suprised...;[

Best answers
Oh, sorry, was wiping the blood off of my PS3... Children are amazingly protective of the thing... :D

Okay, not really. Still, I expect the same thing to happen with the Wii. People are all like "Noone will do this over only a $280 console..." Bull****. People will do this over $30, nevermind $280.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Well maybe they'll be smarter and have some kind of security around.

Best answers
Chakra-X said:
Well maybe they'll be smarter and have some kind of security around.
Why should the store hire security because people have to be dumb yuppies with their me-first bull****?

You want security to watch your back for the camp out? Hire your own security.

Best answers
Sandstorm said:
Oh, sorry, was wiping the blood off of my PS3... Children are amazingly protective of the thing... :D

Okay, not really. Still, I expect the same thing to happen with the Wii. People are all like "Noone will do this over only a $280 console..." Bull****. People will do this over $30, nevermind $280.
i've never heard of it happening with any other console, not even the 360.

MC

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
tolore said:
i've never heard of it happening with any other console, not even the 360.
There were numerous incidents where people were robbed outside of the store they had just bought an Xbox360 from.

Sandstorm said:
Why should the store hire security because people have to be dumb yuppies with their me-first bull****?
That's why the store should hire additional security.

Best answers
MC said:
That's why the store should hire additional security.
And yet you completely ignored what I said. Security is the responsibility of the shopper, when you're not in the store. If you want to be protected from guns, and knives, and thieves (oh my), then hire your own security.

Did anyone get robbed inside of the store? Hell no. Anyone beat up, mugged, etc? No. It's 2006, and the US is too afraid of those from without to even bother trying to protect from those from within.

What luck, you can vote for fear tactics. But that's not the point of my argument.

Why should the store take a hit of thousands, or even tens of thousands for you? Assuming the price of a security detachment's rate per hour is $1200, and they're there for 3 hours, that's $3600.

Let's say they've got 40 units, $26000 made in that 3 hours. But then you figure, what's the cost of the PS3 before markup? We'll assume $600 (in-store managers, if any are here, this is your moment to enlighten us), so, we subtract $24000, and get $2000 profit. Wait a minute, do you see that there? Not only does the store pay a cut of its profit, but it even EATS $1600 in "profit."

So, to ensure the safety of customers, the store has to pay $1600, when it's not making up that $1600 for doing so. This is what we call "bad business."

If you want to have your cake, and eat it too- make the cake yourself. Either that, or accept the consequences and risks, and stop crying.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
o_O?

Why should the people hire their own security? It's not their fault they have to deal with the irrationals. Even if there were no lines, there would still be crowds eventually, which is still a good target for robbers.

When you have a much-desired, and expensive at that, product that is limited in numbers, I would think some type of security is necessary. A thousand or so (if it is even a thousand, wouldn't know, I'm not a security gaurd) is worth it. Not only for the customers, but for the store itself. A couple stores were robbed of their PS3's/games when it first came out, so paying for security>stolen merchandise.

After seeing these events, when the PS4 or whatever comes out, to not take the iniative to get SOME type of security would be unwise.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom