Playstation 3 Launch Causes Violence

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
FP, I don't think it had anything to do with money, I think it was just physically impossible for them to produce enough. I'm under the impression that the yield rate for some of the parts were extremely low. Also, the Blu-Ray Diodes were in short supply. I could be wrong, but from reading numerous things online, that's the impression that I got.

My teacher was actually covering this in school. He used this as an example of a company creating an artificial shortage to generate consumer interest. I just sat there knowing that he had no idea what he was talking about [God forbid I actually get involved, we couldn't have that].

The fact is Sony messed up the launch. They indirectly caused the violence, but it's the people who actually commited the acts that should be punished. Not getting a PS3 at launch is no reason to have violence.
Although I never thought of it that way, I'm not really sure it's a valid reason to produce so little consoles. I see movie commericals already saying "Available on dvd and Blu-Ray Disc" all over the place. And I don't even own a T.V. But you are right, Sony did indirectly cause the violence, but shouldn't be punished, the people who committed the crime should be.

Like I previously said, had Sony created enough consoles for each family in America to own a PS3, none of this would have happened. Or it would have been drastically reduced. I don't hate Sony like most people here do. Sony as a company kicks ass, and makes great stuff, and the PS3 looks awesome and I want one, but to produce only 500,000 for one of the leading nations in the world, is a little stupid.

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
As stated, they couldn't produce more than that. We just don't have the technological capability as of yet to produce those diodes faster than they currently are. Since Sony doesn't own the manufacturing plant, they have no choice but to wait, and as a result, we have to wait as well.

Super Moderator
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Although I never thought of it that way, I'm not really sure it's a valid reason to produce so little consoles.
Yeah I mean, they fact that it was physically impossible to meet launch demands, due to low yield of certain components isn't really a valid reason not to make more consoles. Great logic Chris.
I see movie commericals already saying "Available on dvd and Blu-Ray Disc" all over the place. And I don't even own a T.V. But you are right, Sony did indirectly cause the violence, but shouldn't be punished, the people who committed the crime should be.
Let's assume I got killed by a Ford Focus on my way home from university today, did Ford indirectly cause my death?
Like I previously said, had Sony created enough consoles for each family in America to own a PS3, none of this would have happened.
Had Ford never created the Focus, I wouldn't be dead.

You're grasping at straws Chris, let's figure out who else indirectly caused the violence:
- The manufacturer of the gun.
- The manufacturer of the ammunition.
- The the manufacturer of the automobile that the shooter drove that day.
- And so on...

Eon

TeeHee
Banned
Best answers
Although I never thought of it that way, I'm not really sure it's a valid reason to produce so little consoles. I see movie commericals already saying "Available on dvd and Blu-Ray Disc" all over the place. And I don't even own a T.V. But you are right, Sony did indirectly cause the violence, but shouldn't be punished, the people who committed the crime should be.

Like I previously said, had Sony created enough consoles for each family in America to own a PS3, none of this would have happened. Or it would have been drastically reduced. I don't hate Sony like most people here do. Sony as a company kicks ass, and makes great stuff, and the PS3 looks awesome and I want one, but to produce only 500,000 for one of the leading nations in the world, is a little stupid.
Because manufacturing the materials and being able to afford them at such a quantity is just that easy.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Yeah I mean, they fact that it was physically impossible to meet launch demands, due to low yield of certain components isn't really a valid reason not to make more consoles. Great logic Chris.

Let's assume I got killed by a Ford Focus on my way home from university today, did Ford indirectly cause my death?

Had Ford never created the Focus, I wouldn't be dead.

You're grasping at straws Chris, let's figure out who else indirectly caused the violence:
- The manufacturer of the gun.
- The manufacturer of the ammunition.
- The the manufacturer of the automobile that the shooter drove that day.
- And so on...

Then I was say you're taking it to the extreme. If you look at everything like that, then every murderer on the planet should be let free. Would you like that? And I still stand by my position. If they can make 600,000, they can make more.

Eon

TeeHee
Banned
Best answers
Then I was say you're taking it to the extreme. If you look at everything like that, then every murderer on the planet should be let free. Would you like that? And I still stand by my position. If they can make 600,000, they can make more.
does it occur that 600,000 units is all they could afford at the time? o_O

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I don't even think it had to do with them being unable to afford more than 600,000. They just couldn't do it. They didn't have the components to continue building the machines. I don't see whats so difficult about the concept o_O.

Let's think of this in highly unrealistic terms. America has produced the Nex Apparatus. It is a giant super laser machine that orbits the Earth. We have all the components, but a limited supply of...orichalcum. We have enough right now to fire 3 times. Ok, we just blew up Russia, China, and Australia (we missed; sorry about the friendly fire). Oh no! Germany has unleashed the Deus Luguolo! We have to fire at Germany! However, we can't yet. We have to wait until more orichalcum is mined. There's nothing we can do. We can only wait until this rare mineral has been mined. There is no point in making more Nex Apparatus' because we just don't have the orichalcum to power them. Fortunately, Germany had China build their warmachine so it's a cheap piece of crap.

Sony is in a similar position. It takes time to build those Blu-Ray diodes. It isn't something that can be done very quickly yet, and so Sony has to wait until enough are produced so that they can continue manufacturing their product. Because Sony has to wait, we are forced to wait.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom