Planetside 2 - Launches on Tuesday

Pwns Mastasurf at TF2
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PlanetSide_2

I've been playing in the closed beta. It keeps getting better and is quite fun when you're working as an outfit with friends. This game is F2P but not P2W. Release at this point is really going to be more like Open Beta. The game dev will continue and the meta game is going to get a lot of love post release, esp when they get all release continents in. Currently we have Indar (Ishundar, really - a desert/scrub planet), Esamir (snow/ice/tundra) and Amerish (forest/grassland). We'll be getting at some point Hossin (swamp/forest), Searhus (Volcano) and Oshur (probably going to be a series of small islands with individual ecosystems). Over all it plays a bit like BF but with large squads, platoons and command structure. Continents will be limited to something like 666 players per faction so it's big. Even if you don't wanna spend a dime on it plays fine. All weapons can be earned in game or bought with station cash but the guns are basically sidegrades of eachother and kind aim to suit individual playstyles. Upgrades to weapons must be "bought" with cert points earned in game. The overall model looks like a mashup between EVE and LoL. So yeah, come play with me. Ingame name is Karrde. My outfit will be rolling Vanu Sovereignty, though not sure which server yet. Probably "Matherson," which is one of the US East servers. Game also has EU and AU servers.

*edit*

Also, it's on steam for ease of access http://store.steampowered.com/app/218230/

Also, lots of vids on youtube from beta if you want to see in game stuff http://www.youtube.com/results?sear...2,+this+month&search_sort=video_date_uploaded

Nice demo of infantry play and night ops.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V0ZmA3j5NaQ

666th Devil Dogs Outfit (New Conglomerate) Spotlight

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P7UDE3lJrH8

Azure Twilight Outfit (Vanu Sovereignty) Spotlight

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wpV6t3EWRuE

Last edited:
Judge. Jury. Executioner
👮 Moderator
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I tried the Closed Beta but everything was a bit too rough and random for me at that point. I will be trying out the Open Beta and see what this game is all about.

Pwns Mastasurf at TF2
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
You also gotta play for a while to get the feel of it. It's a lot less random once you understand how it works.

Judge. Jury. Executioner
👮 Moderator
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Well, I think most of the randomness was due to no one knowing what to do at the time, as it was closed beta.

I mean seeing you team crashing ships into your home base repeatedly isn't going to start making sense after a while. :p

But yeah, looking forward to some coordinated assaults.

Pwns Mastasurf at TF2
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
That makes perfect sense. It's funny XD on the last day of the beta I started flying Galaxies into the TR warp gate for the hell of it. XD

Resting in H.E.L.L
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Planetside 1 was superior in terms of art direction and weapons.

I just don't really like Planetside 2's "MODERN WARFARE" feel. Compared to PS1.

Pwns Mastasurf at TF2
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Agreed, but unfortunately, AAA games have to cater to the COD/BF morons. Otherwise they'll never get enough audience because ppl expect thats what FPS games are.

Just a nice person :)
✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
Yea I agree with you KarrdeKNR.

The subscription model was better it seems. One important reason for me to not try it out (like for at least an hour) is because of the queue system. It's broken.

Pwns Mastasurf at TF2
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Queing is better now. Not so many ppl trying to jam in all at once. Also, for interested parties, me and my outfit run on Matherson as Vanu Sovereignty.

Resting in H.E.L.L
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Played it abit, I just don't like how slow you gain certs.

My friend played 4 hours and had 100 certs, 1/7th of what you need for a single weapon.

Weapons are also not side-grades, they are straight upgrades. People who buy, often have 2-3x HP, 1.5x Armor, and 25% or so more damage...making skill factor a lot less.

Pwns Mastasurf at TF2
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Those are certs not weapons. Those upgrades cannot be purchased. You can't purchase like Nanoweave armor or upgraded shield capacitors, those need to be gained ingame. And it's a bit slow because you're supposed to specialize over time. I've ONLY been speccing my heavy assault. The only upgrades I've managed to get so far are Reflex sight, IRNV sight, forward grip (horizontal stabilizer) and I think one level of some armor. I'm still clobbering people. It really only makes like a 10% difference over all and gives me a bit more range. It's still a game of positioning and shooting first. You're never going to really specialize more than a few things. You can't expect to have tripped out versions of each class. You're supposed to dedicate to only a few roles, thats how planetside is. IE I only run HA, Engi and Tanks. If I run LA or medic I'm doing so at stock. And I'm gonna suck at it.

✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
Karr is completely right, you may be able to buy weapons, which are definite upgrades, but each weapon and each class play differently. Say someone buys a very high damage, low rate of fire weapon? Doesn't mean they'll do well with it.

I have been playing this game for a couple of days now, it is fantastic! Capturing bases taking a couple of hours at least, hundreds of people swarming around you trying to defend, capture, or just overall kill the enemy. The game is fantastic. I can't wait til they add more vehicles into the game, that part is the only part that actually seems lacking to me so far.

L

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I've swapped around different factions and tested out various weapons, I found that buying weapons isn't usually an upgrade. All the weapons are situational, and can be used vastly different than intended with the class/upgrade system. For example, it may be a bit slower but instead of trying to snipe with an infiltrator I could attach a high mag scope and clip people in the face with my Gauss SAW at long range, even though it doesn't kill right away, they certainly run for cover. A few times already I've kept a group of 2-5 people stuck near a large boulder when they had a medic healing them.

Had I killed them with an infiltrator they would have just respawned back to the base we were capturing, and possibly would have prevented us from a capture of a base just outside of a major lab. We had only 3 people in our squad and maybe a dozen enemies trying to defend it, bar half of them stuck under my fire a couple hundred meters away.

But that was only a few situations, I find that buying weapons only saves you time and certs for upgrading more important things; focusing on my certs on my Sunderer has turned the tide of battle more so than my upgraded SAW or Flash vehicle.

Pwns Mastasurf at TF2
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I personally feel most of the weaps are down to personal preference and playstyles. Also Air to Ground, Ground to air, Ground to armor balances this week. New weaps and vehs coming. Hopefully they'll release the armor transport. I miss having the flying shoebox (Lodestar). Been having good fun with my outfit (brbuninstalling.com) We've been running a lot of 20+ player flanking ops and Vehicle columns. A 2 man Magrider is NASTY. Esp if you run secondary as Saron laser and have good aim.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom