Phonebloks

ANBU
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
It's definitely something new. I like the concept and more importantly... i'd buy such a phone if it were available on the market.

I am no more
✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
Everything should be like this . Nowadays , everyone build everything so you waste your money , throw away the old stuff and buy new , instead of upgrading the old.

ANBU
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Well that's how our society and economy work right now(consumerism). Of course it's not the best way to do it but it will take a whole lot of change to make it different.

I am no more
✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
Well the world economy bosses , wouldn't allow a revolution that would actually do good for the consumers , they wouldn't get money they are getting right now :p

Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
They will have to allow it if we the consumers step together and tell them to do it.

I am no more
✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
They will have to allow it if we the consumers step together and tell them to do it.
There would be only small part who would do that , most people just don't care , they have money and they just pay for what they get.

Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
There would be only small part who would do that , most people just don't care , they have money and they just pay for what they get.
Thats because they are either unaware or afraid of actually speaking their thoughts out loud.

JTM

Formerly Fatality
Best answers
This video has received almost 10 million views in just four days. Hopefully, this type of virility will garner enough attention from the bigwigs in the mobile business. I wish them luck. It's a brilliant idea, and Hell, I'd buy it.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Thinking about it, but it'd have to be some impressive stuff. I don't want to go back to the days of my Nokia 5110 in terms of weight, size and dimensions...

Just a nice person :)
✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
Thinking about it, but it'd have to be some impressive stuff. I don't want to go back to the days of my Nokia 5110 in terms of weight, size and dimensions...
Dimensions like that won't happen. You still get the big screen as shown in the video.
Size, as it stands currently: Bigger = Better. IPad, new IPhones, all get bigger.
Weight is your choice. You plug in the components you want. Make it less heavy by using better/smaller/less components.

I am no more
✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
Dimensions like that won't happen. You still get the big screen as shown in the video.
Size, as it stands currently: Bigger = Better. IPad, new IPhones, all get bigger.
Weight is your choice. You plug in the components you want. Make it less heavy by using better/smaller/less components.
Every phone nowadays miss the part that old Nokia's didn't - you could use them as hammers and the case didn't even drop off xD Now you drop a phone and it disassembles into the smallest detachable pieces it can(case flies off, battery flies out etc.)

ANBU
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
That's a good article, especially for those not in the science field.
It's more about the concept and good intentions concerning the environment that's great with the phonebloks.

JTM

Formerly Fatality
Best answers
** UPDATE **

It looks like the idea is being picked up by Google.

Here is the article: http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/02/27/googles-modular-smartphone-could-start-at-50

IGN said:
Last year, designer Dave Hakkens positioned the concept of a modular smartphone--or Phonebloks--as a way to cut down on the electronic waste of handsets. Motorola would go on to work with Phonebloks to eventually bring the idea to fruition, with the end result being Google's Project Ara. And according to a report from Time, these customizable phones could be out next year for an incredibly affordable price point.
This is wonderful. I'm also surprised how committed Google has shown itself to be in its continued entry into the hardware market and with such an innovative move in the mobile-tech industry is nothing less than impressive. It may incur a following from other corporate giants and eventually breach into other conventional fields of electronics.

Force Pit Member
Best answers
I really hope it will end up being used by samsung, lg, sony and all the other companies too.

competition will be good, I don't want to know what would happen if google gets monopoly on this..

JTM

Formerly Fatality
Best answers
If it shows to be marketable, I'll bet it will. I'm not sure it will be a success staple considering most consumers would rather buy something that's built to their specifications beforehand instead of customization. Reference the figures for how well home-built PCs sell in parts to the pre-mades. I don't know what they are, but I'll take a wild guess and say your general consumer prefers a product they consider "finished." That's just my two cents, though.

Last edited:
Force Pit Member
Best answers
Im more tehinking about if Google managed to find a way to patent it and calling it their own.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom