OS Troubles

Best answers
Okay, Heres my problem.. I recently bought a **** computer from my friend for fun. So, Whats the first thing I do? Reformat. But, This is my first time. So right now, I'm stuck.. I even followed the tutorial from Http://www.windowsreinstall.com but I keep getting the same error. Its not the OS disc either because I tried installing another OS becase that was my first assumption (Windows ME/Windows 98 SE).

My problem is, Once i get to the install part I get a weird error in the MS-DOS window. This is the error..

" Standard Mode: Fault outside of MS-DOS Extender

EC = 0000 CS = 037F ... "

and there is a bunch more random look errors.. Can anyone help? I'm really stumped here.

Live free or die by the sword
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
The error seems to be in your CD ROM, make sure that it's set up properly, or try a different CD ROM in the comp.

Lost in space
Banned
Best answers
MS-DOS window?

Go into your bios, set your first boot device to be the cd-rom drive, put the install disc in the drive, and reboot.

It should read the disc and launch the setup... without ever seeing a "dos" screen.

It should give you the option to format during the install.

Best answers
If it's not the CD your using you could try grabbing a Windows 98 SE Bootdisk (ignore the fact that it's a Win98 disk, you only use it to format) from www.bootdisks.com. Pop it into the A drive and bootup the computer, once your in DOS type format c:
If it says unknown drive or something of the like, you have to delete the NTFS partition and make a FAT32(temp) partition using fdisk.
This way you would at least be able to format.

Best answers
alright, i got it fixed.. thx but i already had the boot discs and such.. the problem was my ram fried somehow :( oh well, i just have one more problem.. my computer only has one color mode.. 16 colors. what do i install to get 256 colors, etc.?

Best answers
standard pci graphics adapter (vga) is my display adapter im guessing.. where can i find an update for it? maybe that can fix my problem?

Best answers
kk ill try to avoid that but i really dont know what my card is.. all i know its a "Standard pci graphics adapter (vga)" i dont see anything besides that

Best answers
That's because you DON'T have drivers. Best way for you to do it is to pry open your case and look at the card, it's either in the AGP or a PCI slot, usually has a metal heatsink and/or fan. Look at the GPU and see who it was made by.
If it is onboard, meaning it's connected to your motherboard. Then you need to find out your motherboard manufacturer and the model name of the motherboard, then go to their site and get the appropriate drivers.

All this or you could go to windowsupdate.com.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom