opengl

Best answers
it could be many things that slower ur computer, viruses, almost full hdd, etc. If u want somebody to help u, please describe ur computer more precisefull

Your graphical card, cpu, ram, etc...

Best answers
I have this on my computer is it good to play with, or do i need better?

500MHZ, Pentium4, 10GB harddrive, 64MB Ram, 40X CD ROM, 4MB VIdeo Graphics, ATI Rage Pro VIdeo Card, Cable modem, Windows 98,

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
It's your video card, I garauntee if you go out and get anything better than a G-force 3, you'll be pretty much fine.

Lost in space
Banned
Best answers
500 mhz Pentium 4? ........................ That would be a P2 if it's 500 mhz.

That small amount of ram would really hold your system back. Go to the store and buy a 128 or 256 meg stick of ram (probably PC133 SDRAM) for like $15.

Make sure your hard drive isn't full, since Windows likes to whore space for it's swap file.

And you're graphics card isn't helping either. You can go get a 64 meg GeForce 4 MX for like $50 or less nowadays.

And, to top it all off, the Half Life engine is crap. You'd probably get better FPS playing Quake 3. :p

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
500 mhz is pretty crap, really. An all round update to your pc wouldn't hurt.

Best answers
Kurt said:
500 mhz Pentium 4? ........................ That would be a P2 if it's 500 mhz.

That small amount of ram would really hold your system back. Go to the store and buy a 128 or 256 meg stick of ram (probably PC133 SDRAM) for like $15.

Make sure your hard drive isn't full, since Windows likes to whore space for it's swap file.

And you're graphics card isn't helping either. You can go get a 64 meg GeForce 4 MX for like $50 or less nowadays.

And, to top it all off, the Half Life engine is crap. You'd probably get better FPS playing Quake 3. :p
I can play ESF with Quake?

Best answers
I am not too much computer literate. what type of classes can i take so i wont ask these questions?

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Didn't see that low amount of ram, you should probably take the advice of the rest of the people here and go with the ram first. The video card will come in handy too.

Sound Artist
Best answers
I recommend a serious upgrade, or a new computer system altogether. Normally, i would tell you to get a new motherboard/processor, athlon xp 2000 or so would be good for you, some ddr ram pc 2700 make sure you get 512mb ram, atleast a 40 gb hd. Video card is all up to you, half-life, especially hl2 is specifically designed to run good with ATI brand video cards. All geforce's are (for the most part) the same design, just seriously over clocked. ATI has redesigned it's architecture with newer cards. This setup should run you about 300$ or so if you upgrade yourself, close to 500$+ if you have someone do it. With 500 Mhz your severly limiting yourself. Even if you get a brand new card and more ram, your going to bottleneck your computer. I've got a 900Mhz amd processor which runs at about a 1.4Ghz p2, 384 sdram and an ati raedon 9700 pro and i get 35-40 fps max by myself. More ram and a new video card will make it playable, not by much. Unless you run it in software mode, or lower the resolution to 800x 600 or even lower..

Best answers
ok dumb question, but where would be the best place to buy these items at? which store has the best selection?

Sound Artist
Best answers
Don't buy from Gateway:p Your best bet is to buy a system from a place that's not advertised all over the media. Some quiet little computer store, if your building it yourself i can recommend some websites.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
www.pricewatch.com That's a site where you can get individual parts for your computer at low prices. Probably your best bet. Get someone that knows how to put a computer together and have him help you upgrade.

Best answers
FreeDoM said:
Don't buy from Gateway:p Your best bet is to buy a system from a place that's not advertised all over the media. Some quiet little computer store, if your building it yourself i can recommend some websites.
sure what do you recommend?
I have spring break next week, and i can spend it doing something consructive

Sound Artist
Best answers
Make sure you know what your doing if you build it yourself.

Okay let's see:

www.pricewatch.com Pricewatch is pretty good, it doesn't sell anything itself, but directs you to several websites for whatever you need.

http://www.pcboost.com/store/index.asp

Pcboost has some pretty good motherboard/processor combos, as well as barebones, which basically. All you need is a monitor, OS, stuff like that.

www.newegg.com Newegg is pretty good.

www.computergeeks.com Computer geeks is pretty good also.

All together:
+AthlonXp (2000+) Try to get the highest and stop right before the price gap gets big.(Look for a motherboard combo for this, they usually glue the chip on the mobo for you) Make sure it supports usb 2.0, AGP 8x, and some sort of onboard audio.
+512 DDR ram, Pc3200 is the best type, most newer motherboards support 2700 and 3200.
+400 Watt Power Supply
+Case Fan
+Ati/Geforce card
+40gb Western Digital HDD with 8mb cache 7200rpm. (if 80gb is only a few $ more get that)

You should have a Monitor, Mouse/keyboard, Windows, Floppy, CD/DVD/Burner Drive, Maybe an audio card, but it's not required. If your old computer is 500 Mhz im guessing your using Sdram, that's an old type of ram, it might be compatable with your newer Motherboard but i don't recommand using it. Make sure you have screws, cables.. all the extra junk you might need. Good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom