Official: HL2 expansion pack

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
its official, hl2 is getting an expansion pack called Half Life 2:Aftermath

It's official: Half-Life 2 expanding
Valve rep confirms that Gordon Freeman and cohorts are coming back in Half-Life 2: Aftermath.

PC Gamers rejoice--Half-Life 2 is getting its first expansion. Valve Software has confirmed that Half-Life 2: Aftermath is in the works, and will make an official announcement with details on the game in the coming weeks.

According to an article on Eurogamer.net, Valve employees Robin Harper and Marc Laidlaw spoke with PC Gamer UK about the forthcoming Aftermath.

Apparently, Valve is working on the expansion rather than doling out the development to another studio, like it did with Half-Life expansions Blue Shift and Opposing Force, both developed by Gearbox Software.

"Right now, we're really, really good at making Half-Life 2," Harper admits.

The specifics of the game are still very unclear. It is known that hero Gordon Freeman's sultry sidekick, Alyx, will play a large part in the add-on, but in what context is anyone's guess. Whether she will be a playable character, as previously rumored, is unknown.

The expansion will take place immediately after the conclusion of Half-Life 2 and will see Freeman and Alyx fleeing from City 17 and its impending destruction. "You and Alyx are leading the flight from the city getting up close and personal with some of the creatures and sights from the end of the game," says Laidlaw.

Valve failed to mention any release dates or game-specific information in the interview.

By Tim Surette -- GameSpot
POSTED: 04/08/05 12:04 PM PST
source: www.gamespot.com

What are your toughts of this?

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Didn't Gordon get saved by Gman/put back into timeless stasis at the end of HL2? I'm not sure, I would've preferred to play the HL2 story from Alyx/Barney/DOG's perspective rather than just more of the same. I'll get it regardless, hopefully they'll expand and clarify the story a bit more.

King of the Hello Kitty Fanclub
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I'll more than likely get it too. Mainly for story purposes, considering the hl2 story made little/no sense.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
yeahwell, I think im gonna buy it too, i really wonder if you get to play with alyx, barney or someone else :eek:

Best answers
Offtopic: Alyx is hot....

Ontopic: Dammit. An expansion? My computer isn't even up to snuff for HL2!! This blows. The entire world is advancing foward without me! *sob*

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
New weapons and enemies is a given, but I wonder if they'll include any new gameplay aspects. For instance, First-person ragdoll. If you get hit by a grenade and live then you just stand in the explosion, whereas if it kills you you go all ragdoll and get flung around. I think you should get flung around ragdoll style even if you survive. I saw something about it in the Steam forums.

King of the Hello Kitty Fanclub
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Wolf Devil said:
Offtopic: Alyx is hot....

Ontopic: Dammit. An expansion? My computer isn't even up to snuff for HL2!! This blows. The entire world is advancing foward without me! *sob*
Considering the time it took to release hl2, don't expect the expansion to be out anytime soon, by the time its released you ought to have a better computer!

L

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Mmm... There going to screw it up =\.
They over-work themselve's for a quick buck, This is why they never put REAL updates to HL2/HL2: DM/CS: S =\
I predict, It will be rushed, and again, turn out 'aright' or 'good' but stamped "Could have been better"..

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
just as a point, spoiler: wouldnt alyx have died from the explosion? and not to mention that even if she survived the explosiong, she was at the very top of a collapsing 200+ foot tall tower. she is SO dead, not to mention most people in city 17 depending on how the tower collapses, or if the explosion sets of a chain reaction causing the rest of the tower to 'splode too. either way, gordans cohorts are screwed.

and yes, gordon was put in stasis until someone needs his services again.

gets a :no: from me...

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Rocky87 said:
Considering the time it took to release hl2, don't expect the expansion to be out anytime soon, by the time its released you ought to have a better computer!
this is not true, it tooks so long for valve to release HL2 because
A) they had to create their very own engine, which is not needed with this expansion
B) they had to code in alot of things and model alot of characters + voice overs, this is not needed now since they can just re-use most of the models and voice overs (the generic ones, such as "OUCH" "COMBINE!", that kind of stuff)
C) Vivendi games didnt want to release HL2 while valve did want to do it, they were arguing alot about it, which is probably not needed now...

And for those who say that Alyx has to be dead, you do not know why? SPOILER:

<font color = white>You do not know if the explosion destroyed the whole citadel, you only saw the portal explode, who knows, the building might still stand and you might have enough time to run to the ground before the building collapses, it is most likely that you will play as alyx this time (just as you played with other people in the old expansion packs for HL)</font>

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
The only thing is, if you play as Alyx there's not going to be a whole lot of conversation. If you play as Alyx and Gordon doesn't talk...are you going to spend the game talking to yourself? Opposing Force didn't have that problem because Shephard spent most of the time with generic NPC's or on his own. Hmm.

The expansion will take place immediately after the conclusion of Half-Life 2 and will see Freeman and Alyx fleeing from City 17 and its impending destruction. "You and Alyx are leading the flight from the city getting up close and personal with some of the creatures and sights from the end of the game," says Laidlaw.
If you're fleeing with Alyx, doesn't that imply that you're playing as Gordon again?

L

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Can somebody remind me, Why didnt Vivendi didn't want to release HL2?!..
I think the Expansion is going to turn out I guess alright =\.
I wish they rather made a Opposing force 2..hehe.. Working with the combine..lol

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
They could be misdirecting us, with who you play and all. For all we know, "You" could be Barney. I hope it is.

And Vivendi didn't want to release HL2 via Steam.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I hope they include some new guns and it better be loaded with puzzels... as hl2 only had a few.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
in one sence , i see this as to be compete against id software and doom3's expansion

but i enjoyed hl2 , this is probably gonna promote more steam use and send steam into a frenzy all over the world (dam stupid steam with files having to be unlocked after u install hl2)

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Yeah, playing as a combine would be kickass. Command a small squad with your radio babble and stuff. I always wanted them to release a Black Ops expansion for HL2, they covered Scientist, Soldier, Security Guard and Alien (PS2 version) but not those cool ninjas?

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I think it'll be good but I wouldn't expect it anytime soon. It took them like 9 months AFTER release to get semi-modern dynamic lighting in the game...in one level. I wouldn't expect this for at least 6 months.

I think HL2's gameplay and such was good, though. If it ain't broke don't fix it; I have no problems playing as Gordon again.

If that engine can be wrangled and its loose ends tied up for the expansion, I'll be much more likely to pick it up, too.

L

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Heh.. I know, Darn shame too, The OF2 would sell allot more copie's then any other expansion ever for HL2.. Unless you get to play as Gman =O.. and the OF2's story line would be really easy too.. Shepard is decided to be left alive, but he is working under cover >;o for the Combine, then, He back stab's the Combine, thus making some kind of huge and effective blow to the Combine in some way, and form's up with the rebel's..and is there when the Citidel explodes.. A boss could be DOG...Or a tech'd up Big Mama, Gargantua or any other unreleased or old HL monster?..lol

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
It's been confirmed that you do not play as Alyx in Aftermath. Whether or not you play as Gordon has not been announced, but in the screens the weapons are being held by a hazard-suit-gloved hand whilst fighting alongside Alyx. Seeing as the HUD hasn't changed, I think it's safe to assume you play as Freeman in his Hazard Suit.

http://game.chosun.com/site/data/html_dir/2005/04/19/20050419000010.html

(If you look in the right of the background on the first shot, you can make out a Stalker Scientist)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom