Oculus Rift

Former Forcepit Member :(
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Will you get it. I know i will when its relesed i can just imagine my self being imersed in the esf maps or dbxv

✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
🌹 Regular Rosé
Best answers
Its been asked before and i believe the answer was no.

Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Will you get it. I know i will when its relesed i can just imagine my self being imersed in the esf maps or dbxv
The Oculus rift is a great gimmic device. Because in games where it would shine the most (simulations) you usually have more controlls, than arcade ones. And since you cant see the keyboard it makes it a useless device for those things. Itll only shine with games that can be played with a controller really, or games where you dont need to move your hands position on the keyboard.

✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
The Oculus rift is a great gimmic device. Because in games where it would shine the most (simulations) you usually have more controlls, than arcade ones. And since you cant see the keyboard it makes it a useless device for those things. Itll only shine with games that can be played with a controller really, or games where you dont need to move your hands position on the keyboard.
I see your point, but I disagree strongly. Simulation games don't need a keyboard per se. your fingers can be blindly be on the default keys, your mouse can handle a lot of keybindings too, everything secondary can be done through voice commands. If you see limitations, try and overcome them.

I will get one, looking forward to it a lot.

Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I see your point, but I disagree strongly. Simulation games don't need a keyboard per se. your fingers can be blindly be on the default keys, your mouse can handle a lot of keybindings too, everything secondary can be done through voice commands. If you see limitations, try and overcome them.

I will get one, looking forward to it a lot.
Ill probably get one to a year or 2 down the line when its a bit more fleshed out. Or if it actually allows you to see your hands. Since even joysticks require you to look at what button you press, since they have 12 ish buttons or more. And screaming flaps up at my system doesnt really seem like a viable solution for me XD

Last edited:
Death from Above
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I read somewhere there are gloves or something similar for the rift that will simulate your hands in game

✔️ HL Verified
🍂 Regular
Best answers
I know there is the Leap Motion controller for reading both hand (and fingers on each) movement. Then, there's the Myo Armband (which is expensive, especially if you have to get one for each arm) that can read finger movement by reading your muscles.

I actually have quite some experience with Leap Motion (got it for my birthday over 6-7 months ago) and works nicely, though it can be finicky at times (especially with fingers). I'm hoping they make it utilize USB 3.0 soon as it uses a USB 3.0 cable. Currently, it is only USB 2.0 capable.

Edit: And yes, I actually have been conducting some experiments that involve programming for the Leap Motion.

Last edited:
Former Forcepit Member :(
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
all they need now is an harness to allow Free movement with out actualy moving from the spot

✔️ HL Verified
Discord Member
Best answers
Surely we can all agree on the fact that swooping for a second with an Oculus would make you sick.
The fact it works so well for certain games/interactive demo's is that they have a steady surrounding, be it a pod or cart in which the player travels at large speeds through the world over a pre-determined path.

✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Surely we can all agree on the fact that swooping for a second with an Oculus would make you sick.
The fact it works so well for certain games/interactive demo's is that they have a steady surrounding, be it a pod or cart in which the player travels at large speeds through the world over a pre-determined path.
I honestly wouldn't know yet. Though I don't really experience motion sickness during rides/flights or games, I don't think that'll be too much of an issue.

Only go forward sideways
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
🎈 Advanced
Best answers
It will be an interesting fight between HTC Vive (releasing April) and Oculus Rift, considering the Oculus limits you to your chair, while Vive actually let's you move around physically. I am not going to pre-order the Oculus because I want to wait for the first impressions to see if it's ironed out. But after that I will probably buy it straight away for the simple fact I will save myself a lot of money on monitors over the years to come and I've been longing for immersion in games for far too long. From what I've seen so far I think the Vive has better controls, but lacks exclusive titles compared to Oculus which will have 100 VR games for it by the end of the year (boy, feels like a deja vu fight between Xbox vs PS4), however, considering Vive is the official SteamVR, I sure a lot of games will soon follow.

PS: HTC Vive
[video=youtube;JHIiatyuJFI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JHIiatyuJFI[/video]

PS2: The Vive has a camera on the front which sees real-world environment around you and phases it like a grid in front of you when getting close to objects to prevent injury. Pretty neat and many people say it works really well.

Last edited:
Best answers
I got a Dev kit during the Kickstarter so i got a consumer version heading my way for free in march!
if u needed VR testers or anything like that Ide give u guys a hand were i could.
Just have to wait till march to get the new one!

Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
ESF isnt VR compatible you know. Neither is HL1 for that matter.

The speed and twitch camera movements would make 90% of the people motion sick anyhow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom