Ocean Marketing PR Fiasco

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
The internet is a tool used by children who believe they're accomplishing something by forcing a company here and there to outwardly change their stances while allowing them to retain their original mentality, which is to **** you out of your money. How attacking a PR company can be construed as a victory or as the result of the full might of "The Internet" smashing its enemies is beyond me. Congrats. You've "defeated" a low-tier company (except the company is still operational, so all that's really been done is lose it one contract in the short-term). The corporations that dictate policy? They're fine. They remain unscathed, because in the end, to beat them one would have to give up all of the little things people love, including the internet itself. Paper tigers aside, even if people on the internet had real power, I've yet to see it used in a responsible manner and against appropriate targets. And even if it were used for that purpose, this would only be facet of a much larger war. And in war, you need to be physically present. This is why all of the Anon-supporters and all of the wrath-filled teens and tweens on the internet will not accomplish anything of merit. Logging onto a site is easy. Going out there and getting OCed in the face isn't. It's all about what is convenient with this generation.

Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
The internet is a tool used by children who believe they're accomplishing something by forcing a company here and there to outwardly change their stances while allowing them to retain their original mentality, which is to **** you out of your money. How attacking a PR company can be construed as a victory or as the result of the full might of "The Internet" smashing its enemies is beyond me. Congrats. You've "defeated" a low-tier company (except the company is still operational, so all that's really been done is lose it one contract in the short-term). The corporations that dictate policy? They're fine. They remain unscathed, because in the end, to beat them one would have to give up all of the little things people love, including the internet itself. Paper tigers aside, even if people on the internet had real power, I've yet to see it used in a responsible manner and against appropriate targets.

Thats just it. Their target wasnt a big company. People can not associate themselves with that. Their target was an individual.

I agree with you that many things are wrong in this picture. And the victory in this case was nothing short of hitting the target at marksman training. But it was nothing more than that aether.

It wasnt even a victory it was a venting of anger by people who think they were fighting a war of justice. Nothing more.

That said i still dont feel sorry for the company. That guy should never have been in PR to begin with.

But as i said. Nothing will change and in a few weeks it will all be forgotten.

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
How about we stop comparing a bunch of kids yelling at a dude over the internet to war.

Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
How about we stop comparing a bunch of kids yelling at a dude over the internet to war.
Im not comparing. Im saying thats what they think was going on. Or was i not clear on that in my last post?

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Your comparison of the internet to a beast leads me to believe it isn't a sentiment you entirely disagree with. In any case, framing the discussion around what they think they're doing rather than focusing on what they're actually doing and what they're not doing serves no purpose, as its abundantly clear that every time mob mentality on the internet kicks in, it's for the singularly most important cause of all time, and nothing less. Until the next one, and so on. I care little for their beliefs, and would rather focus on the reality of their actions.

Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
The reality of their actions is that they didnt really get anything done. The corporate machine will continue to roll. They may get a new face but the internal workings are not affected. The only thing done here is a slandered reputation. And that part will be forgotten in a month or 2.

Live free or die by the sword
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
No, destroyed reputation and destroyed person . . . over internet outrage that was obviously baited and certainly not one sided.

Congratulations, now this guy, who is certainly not a good person, has to support his wife and kid on the **** sandwich that you, the internet served up.

/b/race for impact, other people decided things for you, because they were sick of corporate interest deciding things for them. Where's my medal stash, you guys earned one!-_-

Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
No, destroyed reputation and destroyed person . . . over internet outrage that was obviously baited and certainly not one sided.

Congratulations, now this guy, who is certainly not a good person, has to support his wife and kid on the **** sandwich that you, the internet served up.

/b/race for impact, other people decided things for you, because they were sick of corporate interest deciding things for them. Where's my medal stash, you guys earned one!-_-
Again i do feel sorry for his family.

But are you saying his attitude as a Public Relations person in charge of representing a product to the buyers was OK? He failed as PR not because he was baited, but because he didnt update the users for products they have already bought. I dont condone the sentence passed out to him by outing him like that. Thats Mikes ****storm for not going to the bosses, but instead riling up the people at Penny Arcade. He is to blame for this and should be accountable for reputation slander.

But are you really going to excuse such poor performance on the job simply because hes a family man? Bated or not he did not properly do his job as the PR manager for the product.

Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I don't beleive I said anything about that Grega, the punishment that was handed him was far outside what should have been handed to him. The internet certainly doesn't have the right to pass judgement on his wife and kid.

He got what he deserves from the peripheral company, his contract with them was voided, and he was thusly fired. He deserved that much, what he doesn't deserve is the stigma that will follow him wherever he goes in this horrible economy as he tries to get another job, because you know people will still persue him because people won't be happy until he is destroyed.

I don't condone his actions, nor do I condone the actions of the Pennyarcade internet flash lynch mob. You can condemn both, as there is no dichotomy at work here that I see myself forced into. Ocean Marketing failed horribly as a PR firm, its owner acted horribly as a representative of someone else's company, and the internet's response was over the top and cruel as well as pointless and hypocritical.

Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Well from what you said i kinda get the feeling we both see this the same way.

Again im not backing up Pennyarcade or Mike. He should be accountable for reputation slander. But the fact that Paul got fired is the correct and the only punishment he should have gotten. The whole wrath of the internet was Mikes screw up and he should be held accountable for it.

Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
It does indeed seem that this is the case, I wasn't directing anything specifically at you, I'm angry at the faceless collectivism of the internet that values anonymity only so long as it can remove that from others.

Hypocrites.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom