Obama Awarded Nobel Peace Prize

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I'm amused by the lengths people go to invoke godwin's law.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I half-expected to run in like a tornado and find this thread full of Obama-praising robots who's **** I must **** up. I'm pleasantly surprised.

Yeah, it's absolutely ridiculous. The Nobel Council doesn't stand for anything any more. Although when you look into it Hitler and Stalin were nominated for the peace prize too, maybe they were never that reputable.

Instead of Obama, give it to nixon.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Folks, folks...This may clear up some of the confusion.
The criteria for the 2009 Nobel Peace prize is:

1) Is not George Bush
2) Is not related to George Bush
3) Does not support George Bush

Lost in space
Banned
Best answers
Maybe:
possibly: by chance; "perhaps she will call tomorrow"; "we may possibly run into them at the concert"; "it may peradventure be thought that there ...
wordnetweb.princeton.edu/perl/webwn
You were drawing a conclusion (stating your final opinion on the matter) based on the information stated in your post. Throwing the word "maybe" in doesn't change the intent of what was said.

Even if what you said were true, saying they haven't been reputable since then, or ever for that matter, borders on silly due to your ability to see into the past, and their inability to see into the future. Both Stalin and Hitler did wonders for their respective country and they promised peace and prosperity to the world. Obviously, with the aid of hindsight, it was a ruse and a convincing one at that.

brainfeeder
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Folks, folks...This may clear up some of the confusion.
The criteria for the 2009 Nobel Peace prize is:

1) Is not George Bush
2) Is not related to George Bush
3) Does not support George Bush
Also, the voting was supposedly done in Febuary, two months into his term.

So, the award was given to him for the messages his campaign presented and his election (as a racially mixed president) represented.

I guess the award sometimes can basically just be a buffer to a country's accomplishment.

The problem is, this award will be used against him as he tries to end Iraq and Afghanistan.

http://www.foreignaffairs.com/articles/57411/milton-bearden/afghanistan-graveyard-of-empires

Let's hope he has read (and remembers) this factoid, everytime he looks at the award.

Lost in space
Banned
Best answers
Actually, it does. When someone says "Maybe tommorow it'll be sunny", obviously they don't mean "Tomorrow will be sunny". They mean "There is a chance that tomorrow will be sunny". I was merely stating something I had considered, and didn't expect to be judged for it.

And it's not like Hitler or Stalin were that much better than our current politicians, there were plenty of people that saw through them, just as there are today.
Actually, it doesn't when used in the above manner. Example:

Fortnox is arguing semantics. Maybe it's because he doesn't really have a point...

Remove the maybe, and you have what I really think. Same applies to the line in question.

Hitler and Stalin were in power during a point in time where people desperately sought a savior, a hero or a messiah to save them from their condition, be it societal, economic or what have you. They were able to accomplish quite a bit more (and get away with quite a bit more) than the average politician for this reason. Same is true post 9/11. What's my point? When you're as low as you can get, and someone produces results beneficial to you and everyone you love, and promises to do even more, you tend to believe in them. This allowed Hitler and Stalin to be the change they wanted to see in the world. It's easy to understand why someone would think them worthy of the Nobel Peace Prize.

There will always be people capable of seeing through the veil of lies. They will always be in the minority. Knowing is half the battle. Actually being able to alter the course of a runaway train is the other half.

✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Sure just blame monsieur Prozac for all this. Rude sir, rude.
If you hadn't presented the your so called opportunity, I wouldn't have taken it. Stop blaming others.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom