New Nintendo DS announced

★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
...and it's called "DSi"

During their Fall Press Conference today, Nintendo have - as expected - announced a new version of the Nintendo DS. Called the Nintendo DSi, it eschews the GBA slot (boo!) in favour of a slight downsizing (it's a little thinner) and a range of improvements. The handheld's screens have been enlarged, and will now be 17% bigger (at 3.25 inches) than those found on the DS Lite. As for the rumoured additions, both have proven to be correct, with "audio enhancements" made to the handheld, while it will also now include a .3 megapixel (640x480) camera. And that's just the start of it.

The DSi also features an SD memory card slot, making it possible to take pictures with the DSi and then view them on the Nintendo Wii. The DSi features a built-in browser, and it's possible to download games and keep them on the DSi.

For digital delivery purchases, there is a DSi Shop, from which users can download DSiWare from. Pricing categories for the DSiWare are: Free, 200 points, 500 points and "Premium" or 800 points. Customers will get 1000 free points to spend at the DSi Shop that are good until March 2010.

The DSi will be released in Japan on November 1. It will retail for ¥18,900 (USD$180), and will be available in two colours, white and black. It will be released in other markets sometime "next year".

Liveblogging the Nintendo Press Conference Liveblog

[image]

Read More: DSi Not Bound For U.S. Until Well Into Next Year, Could The DSi Encourage Piracy?, Nintendo Conference Round-Up, Get A Good, Close Look At The DSi
http://kotaku.com/5057870/nintendo-announce-new-ds-the-nintendo-dsi

I really want this, but I never play my DS anymore.

Hopefully there will be more decent games for the DS.

Screenshots: http://kotaku.com/5057884/get-a-good-close-look-at-the-dsi

It looks pretty badass, imo.

Last edited:
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
It's sad to hear about the GBA slot removal, it would better for them to install full backwards compatibly with GameBoy Color, Gameboy, and Advance games.

Last edited:
The Sinister Minister
Retired Forum Staff
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I'm not sure that I'm as stoked for getting a DSi as I am for the fact that this might lead to a price reduction in the DS Lite (as I'm still using an original DS).

I still play some of my GBA titles quite often, so I don't really like the removal of the GBA slot (not to mention that it limits or eliminates the functionality of some games; for instance, those that use the DS rumble pack, or GH: On Tour, which requires you to plug the fret keys into the GBA slot). At the same time, I still have a GBA: SP sitting around, so I could, in theory, get a DSi to replace my current one and not be set back. I would miss the convenience, though.

I really like the fact that a browser will be built-in this time around, and that there will be a method of distributing some original games and apps via an online store. I'm not crazy about the addition of a camera (or is it 2 cameras?), particularly when they're not particularly good cameras (I probably wouldn't use them even if they were amazing, mind you). I am, however, a big fan of the addition of an SD card slot.

I'll wait to see how it all pans out. I am strongly considering replacing my old DS, as it is rather hefty, and the display isn't quite as bright or crisp as on the Lite (or, presumably the DSi), but if the Lite goes down in price a bit after the DSi is introduced, I might be more persuaded to pick the Lite up over the DSi.

sub

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
It looks lame to me. Why should I be excited about a DS without GBA compatibility, a camera which I'm sure will be mediocre, and a browser?

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
If that camera could act as a webcam, I'd be impressed, but the only nice feature I see is the online.

I'll stick with my homebrew PSP <3.

The Sinister Minister
Retired Forum Staff
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Actually, add that as a potential pro for the DSi for me:

If there's an SD card slot, it might make homebrew solutions for the DS easier, as it wouldn't necessarily require the purchase of a homebrew card specifically designed for the DS. SD cards and readers are a lot more readily available, after all, and it might expand the already respectable library of homebrew for the DS :)

whereswarren (King_Vegeta)
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Bah, looks like fail- other than the SD card slot.

Now with Kung-Fu action!
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
My sister has a DS Lite and it's nothing too fancy, this one can't be much more. Handheld gaming doesn't appeal to me much anymore.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom