Neverwinter Nights

The Sinister Minister
Retired Forum Staff
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I have been told many things about this game, but I want a strong basis of opinions, if you wouldn't mind, before my bro forces me to get it :rolleyes:

Is it an impossible game to learn/play?

Innovative/entertaining aspects?

Will I want to go back and play it again like I did with BG2?

Any sort of feedback is greatly appreciated.

Best answers
I have that game and honestly... i dont like to play it because its slow.. but hey! i have a geforce 2 mx.. other then the slowness. its ok...

The Sinister Minister
Retired Forum Staff
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Originally posted by Aisha
you would love it majin, trust me:rolleyes:
I'd like to see ure sources on that ;/ j/k

All joking aside, does it at least have some story depth to it? Morrowind had trouble there, it was very vague, almost no story period.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
yes its got a very good story, very very very good, with sudequests and stuff, its nothing like morrwind at all..

The Sinister Minister
Retired Forum Staff
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Then straight to my last huge concern. It follows the rules of AD&D, and I have never been one to understand those, too many dice and numbers to know.

My concern is that these will come into play all too often. I liked how BG2/Icewind Dale took care of that. They through it in only for very technical descriptions. If it is based too heavily on that, I may over-load during something like character creation.:rolleyes:

Best answers
Well, i personally love the game. The game isnt very slow as long as your rig is decent. The rules arent that hard, their pretty straight-forward. As for story, its very in-depth with many plot twists. The character creation can be a pain, and you may just over-flow(a tradition of BioWare i think...). However, they do give you character packages to start right-aways. But for a true challenge, try making your own. Paladins are very messed, so for a bigger challenge try them :p It takes a little while to get used to, mainly as a spellcaster, which you will be mesed over endless times until you do. Overall, id say its great.

Offical NWN site: http://nwn.bioware.com

Best answers
Someone tell me what overflow means? and i jus traded bg2 in at EB for 5$ yay! i played that game to death

Moving with Sonic Speed
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Well, it does deal heavily with third edition rules, but you shouldn't feel too overwhelmed. It's set up a lot like BG and BG2, but with a 3d interface that requires some adjusting too. Really, you don't have to be an AD&D geek to appreciate the game, but scanning through your friend's 3rd edition player's guide will go a very long way in helping you understand a few of the game's mechanics.

Personally I find the single player campaign a little dry... it doesn't get very interesting for a while, and it plays out more like an advanced Diablo clone than a Buldar's Gate game. The real reason to invest into the game is for the online play. The editor that comes with the game is easy enough for anyone to jump into, but allows truly skillful and crafty players to devise some very interesting, very playable modules. I'd say it's worth getting if you appreciate the solid game mechanics of the 3rd edition rule set, but you have to realize that it's really a far cry from its second edition brethren. You should see if you like the third edition ruleset before you buy. Odds are if you don't like the changes (and there are lots of changes) you wont like the game.

Best answers
Scanning though the 3rd edition players handbook for rules will help but dont expect then to be the same in the game. Many many many things are different, overall if you have someone to play with it is a fun game. I haven't played the game single player yet so I can't really tell you if it is as fun as multi or not, but i'm guessing not.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
looking at the rule book will not help majin_you, your smart enuff not too need it i know ^_^ the game does all the working out for u anyways

Defenestrator
Retired Forum Staff
Best answers
I personally LOVE IT! i play an online server that has a constant world, that encompasses trade skills etc. so its close to playing an mmorpg when i use that server. I'd agree that the single player campaign is a lil less than i'd care for, but once again, i cant speak highly enough of online gaming with NWN once you find the server/mods that suit your needs

btw: for reference, the mod i play is called Nordock, fellow NWN players check it out ;)

Best answers
you will pick it up and then sit it down. because for a week it is fun. but they did not do well with muti player. and you could go to peoples games and story tellers. but there is a limit to it. gets boring killing that same dragon with 5k diffrent names

Live free or die by the sword
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I always prefer playing D&D (1e through 3e and regular D&D) tabletop . . . the PC is a horrible DM. ;)

Although to be fair, the last D&D game I played on the comp crossplatformed on the Commodore 64.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Neverwinternights is good :p I havent played it rcently but I mean to. I havent got very far :x

It does all the working out for you. If you like, you can turn on an option that allows you to see what it is doing in the status bar, but it handles it in a very similar way to Bg2.

Best answers
Its pretty decent , as boyster says the campaign is a bit dry but there are some very decent mods (both sp and mp).

Best answers
yeah Neverwinter Nights is a good D&D game, but 4 some reason i wasn't able to complete act2 o_O
btw.: to learn the rulez is easy, just the first time as mage is confusing.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I love the nwn mages, they are the best, cool magic, looks good too, and also they dont start out with 1 spell so u need 10k fighters to back u up lol, they start as a mage, not a guy with "light" spell

Moving with Sonic Speed
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I would just advise people to stay away from the dueling modules... I sat around and built characters up to level 20 for dueling for about 6 months after I got the game, and believe me, reducing the game to a war of statistics is no fun. It's hard to find the same appreciation for the game after you've run the numbers and found all the most powerful combonations. Playing online you can only really expect to find players who power game, even if they don't mean to (i.e.: maximum hit points from reroll after reroll), so it isn't a very .... "relaxed" setting to explore. I'd suggest you tow yourself through the single player campaign first to get a feel for it, and move online if you're comfortable with it. All in all I'd say it's worth getting if you haven't tried 3rd edition yet.

Cheese, you're right, it isn't the same game, but it's pretty close. Don't expect the feats to match up or the spells to be bugless (or all present), but knowing how things are supposed to work helps to prepare you for the skills that actually follow the rules, and give you a better understanding of how the game mechanics are supposed to work together. Again, a lot of the discrepencies are only uncovered through powergaming, so if you're looking for a more relaxed challenge and you aren't abusing the system you shouldn't notice too many issues.

Best answers
Hey wow thx for answerin me on what overflow means :rolleyes:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom