Need help with PSU fan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Best answers
Basicly, my dad saw that the PSU fan wasn't working, so he went out and bought a brand new one, as well as 2 GB's worth of RAM ( 2 sticks of 1 GB, don't know if this might of cuased the problem) the trouble is that now his put the fan inside the main computer, it restarts after a few minuters logged in and before that a window will pop up saying " Windows has recovered from a serious error" and asks if I want to send a error report, even if I ignore this the computer will yet again just turn off and restart anyway

Now my dad has said he wants to look at the BIOS and edit what he thinks will help there and I'd rather get advice before he ruins the computer even more... (and before you wonder how I'm getting this posted, i'm using a laptop with internet cable)

Now I know very little about PSU fans so I know I haven't given you much information to go on but I don't really know what I could give you, so if theres any information you think might help or that I should list then please ask and I will find out ASAP

Thank you for reading and any help you can help would be great !

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
What kind of PSU did he buy?
What kind of videocard and cpu do you have and how many Hard disks, cd-roms etc. do u have?

I think it's either not enough Wattage on the PSU or overheating.

Best answers
CPU: AMD athlon XP 2600
Video card: Nvidia Geforce FX 5200
Hard disks: 1 and one slave unit, both being 120 GB
and I have a CD-rom and a DVD-rom, both of which have all the -'s and +'s to write and rewrite anything
CPUID:681
Voltage: 1.65
clock speed: 2133
Max power (w):68.3
TYP power (w):62.0

I'm not sure what he got but on the box it says
"X-Power"

-Real Power

-Super Silent

-Dual 80mm cooling fans

and it says ATX-450TD in the corner

sorry if that isn't what you meant

Best answers
I don't know how to find that, also, would anything in the BIOS be helpful ?

✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
Discord Member
Best answers
Just go into the Bios upon boot up press "del" or whatever the key is that it says to enter set-up/bios.

Click on "Load Performance defaults".
While your there, Look at the temperatures of the CPU.
Let it sit there for about 15 minuets, half an hour.
Don't be surprised if its something like 50-60 degrees, the Athlon XP ran hot anyway.
And Athlon Stock coolers, have never been that flash. -.-

Try putting the old ram back in the machine, see if that makes a difference.
Or maybe you need to adjust the voltages of the ram?
If you could, Post the brand and model name of the ram sticks, see if I can find the settings for them.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Damn man, you scared me. Thought you were talking about Phantasy Star Universe.

On topic: I don't really know what to do in this situation, I'm not that good with hardware. But when you fix it, you should get some sort of overheating protection software, it's quite easy to find, and you know what they say, "better safe than sorry."

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Just go into the Bios upon boot up press "del" or whatever the key is that it says to enter set-up/bios.

Click on "Load Performance defaults".
His cpu is running at stock speeds so I don't think it would be a problem. Sometimes doing this on some mainboards lowered the multiplier and fsb of the multiplier in some cases, my 2400+ upon installation needed to have the multiplier uped as the mainboard defaulted the chip to 1800+ speeds. However if any other changes you may have made to the bios may be causing such issues, then it may be an idea to load the bios defaults.
Or maybe you need to adjust the voltages of the ram?
If you could, Post the brand and model name of the ram sticks, see if I can find the settings for them.
Seconded.

✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
Discord Member
Best answers
Most Bios's Come with over-heating protection.
In the Athlon XP 3000+ I have it set to 70 Degrees. (some times hits that when doing gaming on a 40 degree day).
The stock cooler just wasn't enough. It would even hit that temperature with the 7 case fans buzzing around. (Australia heat... Ugh!).
I strongly believe it has something to do with the ram though.

What motherboard ya got under the hood overlord?
The only boards that I noticed with that behavior were the old Athlon Boards with a Via Chip set? Could be wrong though...

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Pemalite said:
What motherboard ya got under the hood overlord?
The only boards that I noticed with that behavior were the old Athlon Boards with a Via Chip set? Could be wrong though...
I have a A7N8X-E Deluxe. However, it's nothing that going through and changing the multiplier or fsb to what they should be can't fix (assuming that the chip is multiplier unlocked or that board unlocks the multiplier).

Best answers
just to say, I found out the problem and I'm sorry to say it was the RAM chip all along, as I first tried putting the old broken PSU fan back in and I had the same problem, then I took the new 1 GB ram chip out and all was fine, I can logg on, post and do anything I can normally from my main computer and me and my dad had a huge arguement and lets just say, he won't be changing the computer again anytime soon and I consider the matter closed and because of my wonderful mom who convinced my dad that he was wrong, he offered to buy me any graphics card I chose :p

thank you all for your posts and help on the situation !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom