naruto translation conflicts,

★ Black Lounger ★
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
like most of us here ive been viewing naruto by means other than buying them or watching them on television, and got accustomed to the translations there,

however i recently purchased a japanese dvd set, it has english subtitles, (clearly written by people who do not actually speak english, as the grammar and sentence structure is all messed up) but its not bad enough that you cant understand whats going on (95% of the time)

stuff like, when iruka said, "but he must accumulate more expereince!!"
says "he must accumulate more expereinces", and some are as bad as he famous " all your base are belong to us"

but some of the characters are called by different names in the OFFICIAL translation than in the fansubs, which i found to be a bit strange, namely haku, who is called "shiro" by zabuza(zaibuzan in the dvd), you can still hear the word haku, but it says shiro in the subtitles, also they call rock lee, "leRock", which is wierd

im sure theres more, but im only up to the 3rd dvd, out of 9, is this an error in the translation process, or have people been calling these guys by the wrong name the whole time,

some of the moves are also given different names, all ninjutsus are given the longer name ninja art, not really an error so much as a abbreviation, but its still a difference i noticed,
kakashi calls the chidori "shadow cut",
and naruto, (and everyone else) calls the kage bunshin the "shadow divide art", divide clearly being the word the current fansubs replace with clone,

im not really saying the fansubs are wrong on stuff like attacks, butt he names are what grab my attention, has everyone ben calling them the wrong name in english this whole time? or is it simply a translation error on the official subbers part

EDIT, btw for those of who who didnt know, my internet has decided to crap out on me lately, i typed this message in notepad and pasted it in when the internet decided to work, if any of you were wondering where ive been on aim or elsewhere, thats where, i cant for sure say how long itll be messed up or when itll be fixed,

King of the Hello Kitty Fanclub
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Well you say that you can still hear the names "Haku" being said, so more than likely I'd say that its an error with the translation (if the grammar is as bad as you say) I have a japanese friend who used to read the manga back long ago and he never seemed confused when I refered to characters as Haku and Zabuza.
All the fansubs call the moves slightly different. Although you always hear naruto say Kage Bunshin, sometimes they call it shadow clone, sometimes it directly says Kage Bunshin.

I'd say it was just a dodgy translation

★ Black Lounger ★
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
but the translation was made by the people who made naruto and named the characters, unlike the fansubs,

his name may be haku in japanese, as it was clearly said , but they kept calling him shiro in the subtitles, i doubt it was accidentally as it happened every time

Best answers
Sounds like they're butchering it already for us.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
why would it suck? most japanese names have a meaning, so maybe his english name SHOULD be shiro? and you cant really say they are butchering it, since its the origional creators, and not people like funimation. the origional creaters can do what they like with it, and they would be right, because its THEIR creation.

Best answers
why not just call them the original names? why call him Shiro? is Shiro even an english name? :p

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Almighty_gir said:
most japanese names have a meaning, so maybe his english name SHOULD be shiro?
Then explain to us what Shiro means in English :)

Best answers
Means the colour white if im correct. Which makes sense since Haku's heart was as pure as the snow or something like that. Yeah so they're the original creators...but maybe they could of hired a better translator if the fansubs are doing a better job :/

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
That's not what I meant... gir was talking about the ENGLISH name. And I doubt that
a) Shiro is a word in English,
b) means "white", if it IS an English word.

King of the Hello Kitty Fanclub
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Maybe the people who translated it (the creators) are terrible in english and were attempting to translate the names.

Best answers
well... in this thread i dont see any reasons to not call them by their original names... seriously! theres no point... and after all Haku is 100 times cooler than shiro...

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
nuttzy said:
but the translation was made by the people who made naruto and named the characters, unlike the fansubs
what you fail to realize is this is NOT the offical dvd sets

i own this exact same set with these same mistakes

these are not the offical dvds at all they are bootleged versions with normal bootleg quality subtitles

its no more offical then my zeta box set with its "GO HAS THE GUNDAM!"

just another crappy bootleg translation and just because its translated in japan doesnt make it any more offical and correct then the normal online subtitle jobs

★ Black Lounger ★
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
in that case, i need to ask for a refund from the store that sold it to me, cuz official is exactly what they was advertising it as,

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
there are no offical dvds with english subtitles

Best answers
OMG! I bought the first 21 Naruto eps on dvd from a gaming shop in australia....I hated the subbing, they would make spelling mistakes in every sentence.....These are the sorts of words they would use:
Chakra....In my dvds it comes up as Chak, Chatra, Chkra
Start.....Stort (often words with a's were replaced with o's), Strt (often letters were left out)

and it wasnt just the words, many of the translations made no sense because the subber worded them wrong.....I think im gonna take the dvds back and get my money back

Best answers
for all ur fansub needs i always get my stuff from www.estarland.com their a store about an hour away (the good one) and the dvds they sell really are good so i suggest if u want good subs get em there =)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom