N00bish Computer Mistakes

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Have you managed to blow up your computer through a stupid mistake?

I did it just once and hopefully never again.

One was an Aim message saying "Check out this photo of me". I knew it was a virus and such, but I clicked it anyways and downloaded and ran it for no reason at all. Next thing I know, I'm sending this virus Link to everyone in my buddy list and I'm trying to say not to open it. Took me a good 2 hours just to clean it out.

Live free or die by the sword
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Once in my youth, I dropped a screwdriver on my mobo, point first, wrecking the leads on the southbridge and murdering my poor main board. I was 18 or 19 at the time.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
My classic screwup was when I defragmented my external hard drive. it so happens that doing this renders it nearly inoperable; I lost every song I ever wrote, and a lot of other things. The nature of the corruption is that it made compressed files of certain natures become completely disintegrated (weird, I know). After days of work I salvaged what I could (which was 90% of it) but the legacy of my musical work over the last 10 years was completely destroyed.

Worse than that, I once helped my bro set up a computer in his room and he put it dangerously near the subwoofer for his stereo system. I warned him to not turn it on until after he moved it away from the computer or it would demag his HDD. He listened. However...

...later that day, I decided to use his room to play God of War on his sweet stereo system and big screen TV. I'm playing and going "Why's it sound all weak?" Then I realize he never turned on his woofer. "Why would he ever turn this off?" I say, and gleefully turn it on. I play to my heart's content and go out.

Then I get a phonecall. "Why won't my computer turn on?"

Oh frak.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Man that really sucks, Loosing all your music, and it sucks of what happened to your brother's comp.

Lost in space
Banned
Best answers
Looooooooooooooong time ago (like, 7 years ago), I was looking at a trojan's batch file and said "there's no way you can delete someone's entire hard drive... because you can't delete processes when they're running!" Turned out I was wrong lol

Oops.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Killbox FTW. I also remember the first time someone I knew installed Daemon Tools and Norton went bat****. For the record my bro's comp was easily fixed, I just reformatted; he had nothing on it anyway. My music though...that is where all the songs I wrote solo were held so now other than those in memory they're pretty much gone.I think the most noobish computer mistake anyone can make is my friend's dad, who repeatedly ruins their computer by believing all those stupid "Click me to win millions" pop up ads. You know that dumb **** where it's like "Click the running monkey to win!" type stuff? Yeah, he sits there for hours at a time being suckered in by pop up after pop up...

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Iv'e had a dodgie led display that will display my temps blow up on me last year, Iv'e also witnessed my brother's friend's front usb port catch fire and the end result being a partly melted cables.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Mh.. well, probably the worst ****-up I made that I can remember was forgetting to back-up my wallpapers and other relatively unimportant ****, last time I formatted my drive.

So, as you can tell, I'm generally pretty decent at keeping my computer running well enough. :3

whereswarren (King_Vegeta)
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Leaving my Startcraft brood war CD in my old comp, and going to fetch it after I wanted to play it on my new one.

I forgot that I had jokingly switched the voltage over after I unplugged it, when I switched the power on, it literaly exploded.

jp

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I installed Suse Linux right over windows, I thought linux would make a way to make it dual bootable, I was wrong.

I'm sure you all know what happened next :p

Lost in space
Banned
Best answers
jp said:
I installed Suse Linux right over windows, I thought linux would make a way to make it dual bootable, I was wrong.

I'm sure you all know what happened next :p
GRUB/LILO easily allow dual-booting (or even triple-booting or more), but overwriting your NTFS/FAT32 partitions won't help you towards that end :p

And for the record, d-tools has never had (and still doesn't) have any bundled virii. I asked a year ago for links to vendor sites describing the "6 miserable viruses" it comes with, and you never showed proof.

Best answers
Most noobish....hmmm.... when i accidentally clicked OK to one of those ads who ask if you want install *insert something here*... I dont remember what i did, but i do remember the next time i started my computer. Desktop full of ad links(pr0n), After connecting to net the screen had about 200 pop-up windows floating over my desktop, more i shut them down, more they appeared... I had to ask my relative who knew quite lot about computers to reformat it, i myself at that time didn't know how...
But that was long time ago, i was running windows 98 at the time...

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
When I was about 10 I got my first computer, a crappy old packard bell with windows 95 installed. I was trying to install some video game but it kept telling me I was low on HD space, so I went around deleting ****, I came across a folder labeled "windows", and decided to delete it, and it didn't let me delete the whole thing, but there where a **** load of important files missing out of there and I couldn't start up again, I screwed up my first computer....I cried like a ***** for days, lol.

Base belongs to me.
👑 Administrator
🌠 Staff
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💎Légéñdārý
Best answers
I accidentally "raped" my computer by some kind of "registry" tool. The website even said. 100% guaranteed no problems. Yea, right! I'll NEVER use those software tools again.

jp

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Kurt` said:
GRUB/LILO easily allow dual-booting (or even triple-booting or more), but overwriting your NTFS/FAT32 partitions won't help you towards that end :p

And for the record, d-tools has never had (and still doesn't) have any bundled virii. I asked a year ago for links to vendor sites describing the "6 miserable viruses" it comes with, and you never showed proof.
I figured out later how GRUB/LILO works.

But eh, I never showed proof... of what? 6 misserable viruses on deamon-tools? D: how can I show proof or something I have no clue what you are talking about...???

/uber confused here.

Lost in space
Banned
Best answers
jp said:
I figured out later how GRUB/LILO works.

But eh, I never showed proof... of what? 6 misserable viruses on deamon-tools? D: how can I show proof or something I have no clue what you are talking about...???

/uber confused here.
The last part of my comment wasn't directed at you. Was directed at the person continuing to spread blatant lies

Lost in space
Banned
Best answers
Back in like 2002/2003 I think the following took place (back when I had an athlon xp still)

I plugged in a floppy drive once and missed one of the pins so one of the power lines was connected to ground...

I couldn't work out why the gibson wouldn't boot, until I smelled smoke and traced it there... Nearly melted half the power cables lol

For the record, I haven't had a working floppy drive in a gibson for something like 2 years o/

EDIT: also, once I asked for computer advice on an internet forum....

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom