MIGHT!!! fix FPS prob for comps

Best answers
Allright, this worked for me with Half-Life with my older comp to raise the FPS.

1. make a shortcut to ESF or Half-Life if you don't allready have one
2. right click on the shortcut and go to properties
3 where it says target add this after what is allready there

+heapsize (your RAM here in kilobytes, 1 meg = 1100 kb)

This is what my Halflife shorcut looked like to me:
C:\sierra\half-life\hl.exe -heapsize 350000

I hope this helps at least some of you!

Best answers
I rounded up, but i didnt round up in the example cause its easier to calculate 1000 in your head.

anyways, its -heapsize not +heapsize

Live free or die by the sword
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Yeah, but you should have a calc app in your start menu ;)

BTW, check and see how much ram you have free at idle, and check how much RAM, AGP is allowed to take for texture mem before assigning that. If you set Heap too high, you can cause mem errors if AGP needs to steal from system memory. For instance, on service pack 1 of XP, with an onboard GeForce4 64MB, 64MB Aperture, 512MB RAM, and everything shut off in taskman but services, tray, and explorer I gave a 350MB heap to HL.

Best answers
Im in my school right now, some punk must have deleted the calculator.

Oh, yeah, i forgot to say that you should leave some ram free for your comps other actions (thanks cucumba, I may have messed up some peoples comps if it wasnt for u)

E-Mail me back with results, good or bad...

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
He's wrong, very wrong at that. If you do what he says HL will hog ALL of your RAM, which is NOT a good thing. Here's how it goes, take your RAM (Ex. 250MB) Multiplay by 2/3 which will give you 170 and 2/3rds (Using 256MB as the example), drop off the 2/3rds and you have 170 then add 3 zeros and you have 170000 < That's your heapsize.

End Example For 256MB RAM >> -heapsize 170000

Also, I doubt that'll fix the FPS problem everyone else but me an a selected few seem to be having. Try other command line options like -noipx and -nojoy not to mention -numericpings

Live free or die by the sword
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I already stated that . . . in fact, my method is more accurate. In addition, you too need to learn how apply the proper 1024 to the desired amount of ram in MB :rolleyes: :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom