Meaningful careers

Best answers
AI is regarded a subfield of computer science, at least nowadays. Of course AI builds upon mathematical knowledge.

Double checking (who would do the check?) would not be good enough for me. I would want a formal proof that such code works according to specification. Of course the specification should be made in close collaboration with someone who understands nuclear physics.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Many scientists I know are probably better coders than you are. Again... To them, it's a tool. To do their jobs they have to know their tools well.

sub

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Avenger has thrown down the gauntlet. Are you going to take that **** from him, Harsens?

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
They've also coded since the seventies, and wrote software for various tools that they use on their own. I'm not saying Harsens is a bad coder, I'm saying he hasn't been coding for 30-40 odd years.

Best answers
Many scientists I know are probably better coders than you are. Again... To them, it's a tool. To do their jobs they have to know their tools well.
I've never said that computer science cannot be applied as a tool. As a computer scientist I regularly apply math, physics, psychology, bio-mechanics and linguistics as a tool. That does not mean they are not valuable research fields on their own or that I would not value the opinion of an expert in e.g. psychology when setting up a user test.

Computer science does not equal coding; it is NOT a programming course. In fact, the computer science bachelor+master program at our university offers only 3 programming courses, each covering a different programming paradigm. Most subfields of computer science require very little or no coding (AI, theoretical computer science, information retrieval, computer vision, ...). Even in software engineering, coding is just only one step in the software development process. Other steps include requirement specification (and figuring out what your clients really want, which is often surprisingly hard), planning, architecture design, documentation, testing, deployment. If you build small programs and you are the only user of such programs, as your scientist probably do, then you can indeed often get away with collapsing all of these processes into a single coding process. For larger projects (say the linux kernel or the software used by your bank) that's probably not a good idea.

Btw, interesting read on the role of computer science:
http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v440/n7083/pdf/440419a.pdf

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom