Massive amounts of Wii U's brick.

Resting in H.E.L.L
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
http://www.fudzilla.com/home/item/29521-us...-wii-u-consoles

Firmware update is too slow, so users turn it off
So basically, as people boot up their new Wii U's, they are greeted with a 5GB Firmware update...that installs as it downloads.

Now if someone...stops this download, i.e, shuts their system down, they lose power, or their net goes out...basically their firmware is incomplete and you got a bricked Wii U that is useless now.

5GB may not seem like alot to me or you, but most people in the U.S...have slow speeds and very low caps...and think outside the U.S..

So what alot of people basically did was...cut the download and attempt to play the Wii U in Offline mode. Be curious to see how this goes...Nintendo could say it's their fault, make some bogus claim about user responsibility...but it was their dumb idea to replace the Firmware WHILE downloading it.

and 5GB is hardly a "patch" for Firmware. Can you imagine for people who download at like 200KB/s? Christ...they have to leave their console on overnight...one interruption and bam, bricked Wii U.

You just lost your expensive, shiny new console, and can't play it until MAYBE, Nintendo replaces it.

This could spell disaster for the Wii U. First impressions are everything, and unlike the RROD or YLOD, this could happen to EVERY Wii U.

****Also let us consider that, the Wii U is aimed at the ages 6 & up group, it is primarily a console for children, whom would have no idea about these things.

------------

Another thing to keep in mind is; Wii U is out of stock everywhere. Replacements will take -weeks-, if not more.

Death from Above
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Hopefully the firmware comes pre-installed on AU models considering launch is still over a week away

whereswarren (King_Vegeta)
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
All you have to do is decline the update by hitting cancel, you can then run the download as a background process- and continue to tinker around with your new toy.

I feel sorry for the people who messed up/ families that will mess this up on christmas day etc.

Also a user tracked his downloads and the download is apparently around 1-2gb. Not as bad as the rumored 5.

Resting in H.E.L.L
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
All you have to do is decline the update by hitting cancel, you can then run the download as a background process- and continue to tinker around with your new toy.

I feel sorry for the people who messed up/ families that will mess this up on christmas day etc.

Also a user tracked his downloads and the download is apparently around 1-2gb. Not as bad as the rumored 5.
Some people tracked it as well, using Bandwidth meters.

Some reported 4.8, some 2.8, and some 5GB, and some 1GB, some 2GB, as you said. ALot of mixed reports.

But you have to consider this is a console meant for children. That means it should be very easy, intuitive, and able to **** up easily.

Eon

TeeHee
Banned
Best answers
Wow, that's pretty awful. I hope something is done before less tech savvy people end up ruining their consoles.

I hope nintendo doesn't pull a douche move and not fix it, I mean if fkn Microsoft of all companies was replacing 360's, Nintendo should replace these. I won't be surprised if they do or don't.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom