• ESF

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • DMZ

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Best answers
so well...
that's the map i became an EVOSSJ4-mapper with
;) and...big HURRAY i made it !with! the hullfile!!!
esf_lagoon
so enjoy! :p

πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
Could you post some screenshots, please?

Lost in space
Banned
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
As usual, Nice work (though some people may crit you on the moutains and how they may look a little strange given that youv'e just made em look a little rectangular, but I don't care about that, it doesn't bother me at all, and it's something you may learn how to avoid in future as you get better at mapping). After playying with this map, I really do enjoy it, 9.5/10 :yes:.

ESF Head Team Mapper
πŸ‘‘ Administrator
🌠 Staff
βœ”οΈ HL Verified
πŸš‚ Steam Linked
πŸ‚ Regular
Best answers
see attachment.

Attachments

Best answers
hey wasn't this supposed to be a map for evossj4? or i just missunderstood o_O

Best answers
lord_striker said:
hey wasn't this supposed to be a map for evossj4? or i just missunderstood o_O
no just a map to show the evo team that i'm good
most of my following maps will be only for evo! :p

@ djready: i'll upload a new version:
lagoon

ESF Head Team Mapper
πŸ‘‘ Administrator
🌠 Staff
βœ”οΈ HL Verified
πŸš‚ Steam Linked
πŸ‚ Regular
Best answers
the basic layout of the map isnt bad, but WTF?! almost 5000 wpoly!!
i pity evossj4 if they take you because of that map because its as horroble as it could be r_speeds wise.
do what i told you already in another thread and learn.
it actually helps

ESF Head Team Mapper
πŸ‘‘ Administrator
🌠 Staff
βœ”οΈ HL Verified
πŸš‚ Steam Linked
πŸ‚ Regular
Best answers
ok lets analyze this a bit.

you used many smaller water blocks to act as one, which causes alot of uneeded faces between them
http://img74.imageshack.us/img74/6715/12zk.jpg

you made the whole underwater ground func_wall? wtf?!
http://img74.imageshack.us/img74/8647/20rw.jpg
a func_wall is NOT ment to be used for stuff like this. Also, entities (func_wall in this case) do NOT block VIS, thus you can "see" through them. In this case, you get alot of uneeded faces since VIS looks through the func_wall and you can "see" below the map
http://img192.imageshack.us/img192/2760/39co.jpg

the same goes for the hill top thingies, func_walls arent that bad at that spot, BUT close the holes below them, else you have a ****load of uneeded faces
http://img192.imageshack.us/img192/4674/41zg.jpg

there is no lightning in your map. very bad.

use NULL textures for unseen surfaces

learn how to effectively scale textures to reduce r_speeds.

make use of the grid, use a snap of 8 or so for most of the stuff, makes it easier for the mapper to keep the overview.

read the stuff i mentioned before.

so, even though the overall layout looks fine to me, and i think it could be a fun map to play, i give it a 1/10 because of the enormous lack of technical understanding resulting in almost 5k wpoly ...

Best answers
well i donno at my pc there were no "invisible" brushes or so....
well please let it be so far i do NOT want to fight with THIS map anymore
(costs me two nights - ****ing map! :p)
atm i'm making a more simple map (i'm not that good at terrain mapping ;P )
ok ? thx! ;) ;) ;)

ESF Head Team Mapper
πŸ‘‘ Administrator
🌠 Staff
βœ”οΈ HL Verified
πŸš‚ Steam Linked
πŸ‚ Regular
Best answers
bleh, it was not ment to offend you, but to help you to do it better next time.

πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
ok. im not a mapper, nor can i map at a higher level than you yopyop, i like the general idea you had for the map, but the map itself looks very jerky and blocky...like a peugot 106

Best answers
yopyop said:
yeah i know
but...well..oh forget it k?
every map looks blocky if you havn't the right texturey thats what smooths a map XD

Lost in space
Banned
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
If you're experienced in, or would like some experience in 2D art, try experimenting with making your own textures. That way you can have the map look exactly the way you want, and not have to change the design or go with "well, it looks good enough" because of your available textures. Besides, seeing new custom textures in a map makes it all the more spiffy. =)

You've got a redundant problem with far too high wpoly. I'm not trying to pick on you either, but you've really got to work on that. A good number for wpoly that many people seem to agree on is <= 600. I'd use 800 as a maximum. Sure the map may run smooth for you with 2000 wpoly, but imagine that on top of 10 people playing. If people can't play your map smoothly, they're not going to like playing on it, and they won't. If you really need to cut down on wpoly (which you do) there's quite a few things you can do.

• The most obvious, simply remove brushes and/or redesign some congested areas. <br>
  • Texture scale. The screenshots that DJ took from BSPViewer shows how the map brushes are laid out after the map is compiled. When a brush is compiled, even if it's one solid brush in VHE, it's split into units of the texture size. If the brush has a 64x64 texture scaled to 1, that brush is going to be split into 64x64 pieces. So, you can see why scaling up textures helps.<br>
  • Make sure none of your brushes intersect. When this happens, they're split, or "shattered," because it usually looks horrible. You'll be creating many unnecessary brushes upon compiling the map, which will lead to unnecessarily high wpoly counts. If two brushes simply must intersect, make one or both a func_wall. Entities do not contribute towards wpoly. <br>
  • Look around for tutorials and more information, as I'm sure I forgot some things.

Don't be discouraged. We're just trying to help you, and you don't want to keep making the same mistake over and over again. Keep it up, I look forward to seeing more work from you.

Best answers
well i felt that that the wpoly was too high too so i posted a "beta" version
on evossj4 and the peiple said no lag i was confused but continued.
i donno what pc's they got but must be very good cuzthey played online with a few people and said no lag ??!!!!
:p

@nitro: yeah i used cuz i wanted it very good looking normaly it doesn't do that look at gokuhouse or kamehouse :p but i'll never use it again(toomuch poly's =) )

Best answers
yopyop said:
@nitro: yeah i used cuz i wanted it very good looking normaly it doesn't do that look at gokuhouse or kamehouse :p but i'll never use it again(toomuch poly's =) )
you can use this editor if you know HOW.

Triangle brushing isn't that hard at all, once you've done it good you know how :laff:

also making your own textures isn't that hard just takes some practise :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom