Karrde Does Costuming

Pwns Mastasurf at TF2
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Ok, I've been posting about this in the chatbox for a few weeks, and now I'm actually done. Did this for a competition at a local sci-fi con. Not the most complicated thing I've ever done, but I had a good time doing it. So, quick background. The costume is of Death/The Grim Reaper and took about 3 weeks to design and build. The scythe blade is made out of medium density fiberboard and was shaped with a combination of orbital power sanding, hand sanding, and dremel work. It was then painted and polished. Took about 6 days including drying time. The mask was made by molding my face using plaster strips and then affixing the teeth and horns, which were made out of "Model Magic", which is a kids clay-like foam compound :p Then painted to resemble bone. The cape and tunic were a ***** and a half. I've never sewn before. 14 fsking yards of fabric. Took about 8 days, 3 of which was actual sewing, and I spent most of my time doing it during those 3 days. In the end, I won the award for best prop, which was nice since that's my specialty. Look at the bottom of the post to see why :p So, pictures!

And here's an old picture of the most insane thing I've ever built. Mos of the work was done by my friend and I. It's the Dalek (from Doctor Who) on the left. The Hello Kitty Klingon (Hello K'tteh) was done by some friends of ours.

We kinda buggered the belts but we ran out of time to fix it. The lights on top actually work and we originally had it wired to a voice system but we didn't have the amp we needed so we just rewired the lights to a switch.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
It looks really good, but sir, your scythe should be WAY bigger. Like.. towering!

Pwns Mastasurf at TF2
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I was limited by the fact that I wanted to use the handle I did. It's a tree branch that I've had for like 15 years and used in a death costume when I was a kid so it was kinda nostalgic. Also, there's plenty of instances when death has been shown with smaller scythes. Not to mention that when props get big, they get heavy :p

brainfeeder
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
If he went to a con it would be annoying to have a scythe that dealt with confined spaces... have to hold it all day as well.

Pwns Mastasurf at TF2
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Nah, it was for the stage performance only.

Now with Kung-Fu action!
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Nice costume, you certainly earned the best prop award. That Hello-Kitty is amazing, I almost want one.

King of the Hello Kitty Fanclub
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I got excited when I saw this topic and thought I'd see Karrde in a nurse outfit.

Is disappoint.

Death costume is still awesome though!

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Holy ****. That's pretty awesome. And that Dalek!?

EXTERMINATE!

Pwns Mastasurf at TF2
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
DEATH DOES NOT WEAR SOCKS
Nope :p

I got excited when I saw this topic and thought I'd see Karrde in a nurse outfit.

Is disappoint.

Death costume is still awesome though!
I'd do it if I could sew better. It'd be lulz as hell. Maybe I'll do it next year if I have time. Let my beard grow for like 2 weeks or something :p

Pwns Mastasurf at TF2
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Death's Head Masks (and the various cultural/religious variants) traditionally don't have a lower jaw.

King of the Hello Kitty Fanclub
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Halloween is big in the US? Could totally sexy nurse outfit with epic beard for Halloween.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom