Joystick Help

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
There is an option to use a joystick right? Well how do I set it up? I have a PSX controller with a USB adapter so I can basically use my Playstation controller for PC games. And before any of you say "Why would you want to use the gamepad?!" My answer is...because I prefer it and it would be easier for me.

So how do I set up my joystick/gamepad for this game?

Best answers
You go to controls\advance activate joystick and then just enter your key's like you would with a keybord

lol joystick in ESF might aswell just type kill in the console and you would have a better chance of surviving :rolleyes: oh well youll find out sooner or l8er

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
XXX said:
You go to controls\advance activate joystick and then just enter your key's like you would with a keybord

lol joystick in ESF might aswell just type kill in the console and you would have a better chance of surviving :rolleyes: oh well youll find out sooner or l8er
1) Tried it. No reaction.

2) Maybe you think using a controller is stupid, but between using a controller and a keyboard when it comes to fps....I'll take the controller any day. I have far better control when the buttens are right by my fingers rather than trying to struggle with looking around with the mouse and hitting all these keys on the keyboard, causing me to look away from the screen and rendering me helpless.

Lost in space
Banned
Best answers
I don't think Half Life can recognize the analog joysticks use on most "next-generation" consoles...

I just tried it, but it doesn't work. Only the directional pad works.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Kurt said:
I don't think Half Life can recognize the analog joysticks use on most "next-generation" consoles...

well damn...I guess I'll have to make my keyboard and mouse more user-friendly because right now the controlls suck defaulted.

Best answers
Kurt said:

hate to bring threads back from the dead.. but eh I can't help it am a necrothreadmancer..... err yeah anyhoo

um ok I just got one of those ps2 Dual shock to pc converters from http://www.merconnet.com/products.php?ProductID=44

Am having problems configuring it too but I just noticed something. In the console commands there are joystick axis x, u, v, z, y options. Um if am not mistake the x y-axis would be for the left analog stick and the v and z options would be for the right analog stick. (Am assuming that because that's how it is in ut2k4) am going to mess around with the commands a bit to see what I can come up with.

Other then that there is this 3rd part program called easy Joy-mouse that maybe a little helpful. It allows you to do things like have an analog stick (just one analog stick from the looks of it) act as a mouse. It also allows you to assign the keyboard keys to the game pad keys.. Ect

http://dynamic5.gamespy.com/~hlpd/index.pl/Configuring_Joysticks

that should help alot

Best answers
i think ESf on a ps2 gamepad would rock..id love to try it myself if i had a converter

Best answers
yeah it does especially if you set the analog sticks to act as analog sticks and not digital. In any case if anyone is interested am gonna post my configuration here. You have to make a txt file (right click anywhere on your desktop and click new --- > tex document) then rename it to userconfig.cfg

Joyname "Dual PSX-USB Adaptor"
Joyadvanced 1

Joyadvaxisy 1 <-for the left analog stick, for moving foward and back

Joyadvaxisx 3 <-for the left analog stick, for moving left to right (strafe)

Joyadvaxisr 4 <-for the ps2 pad, for the right analog sticking looking left/right

Joyadvaxisz 2 <-for the ps2 pad, for looking upand down

Joyforwardsensitivity -1.5 < - for forward and back analog movement
Joyforwardthreshold 0.15 <- to adjust how smooth

Joyyawsensitivity -0.5 < - for looking left and right (analog)
Joyyawthreshold 0.15 < - to adjust how smooth

Joysidesensitivity 1.5 < - left and right analog movement
Joysidethreshold 0.15 < - to adjust how smooth

Joypitchsensitivity -0.5 < - for looking up and down (analog)
Joypitchthreshold 0.15 <- to adjust how smooth

Joyadvancedupdate

The negative numbers on the sensitivities are to invert. For example Joyyawsensitivity -0.5 is to look left when you press left and right when you press right. If it was 0.5 it would be opposite i.e. you'd look right when you pressed left and left and you pressed right.

AUX 13 - digital pad up
AUX 14 - digital pad right
AUX 15 - digital pad down
AUX 16 - digital pad left

If your using an xbox controller I think the right analog stick is Joyadvaxisu and Joyadvaxisv not sure which is for left/right and which is for up/down

hope that helps :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom