Is ESF a fighter?

Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Id say ESF clasifies as a third person shooter game with advanced melee functions.

Kinda the same thing as Oni.

Discord Member
Best answers
Because this is just a continuation of the same pointless conversation from the other topic

Just yes it is, no it isnt, yes it is, again and again

That isn't a conversation or a discussion
Heil Hitler.

Anyways, it's a legitimate question, and Yay or Nay are actual answers. Sub just wants to know people's opinion about whether ESF is a fighter or not. He hasn't asked for an in-depth analysis as far as I've seen that provides for an extensive answer. Just because you think this question is pointless doesn't mean rest of the community thinks its pointless, so please leave your personal bias out of a legitimate thread.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Heil Hitler.

Anyways, it's a legitimate question, and Yay or Nay are actual answers. Sub just wants to know people's opinion about whether ESF is a fighter or not. He hasn't asked for an in-depth analysis as far as I've seen that provides for an extensive answer. Just because you think this question is pointless doesn't mean rest of the community thinks its pointless, so please leave your personal bias out of a legitimate thread.
No if you post in here with just saying yes or no and nothing I will mark you up for spamming. Regardless of if you think so or not.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
What do people do in ESF? Play cards?

No, they fight, your question has been answered Jack.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I don't see it as a fighter, it's more of a third person action game with fighting features, so I agree with Grega.

sub

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
What do people do in ESF? Play cards?

No, they fight, your question has been answered Jack.
You fight in FPS games. albeit gun fights, but its still fighting. Your point isn't valid.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Breakdown is a first person game with guns but its more like a first person fighter with all the punching and kicking.

So being in first person doesn't really disqualify it from being a fighter.

sub

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
My point was that you wouldn't call Halo a fighting game, even though you are fighting 99 percent of the time with guns. You can even punch people, but this doesn't make it a fighting game.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
You fight in FPS games. albeit gun fights, but its still fighting. Your point isn't valid.
If ESF is based on Dragon Ball Z, and in the game, you punch, kick, and perform various techniques, how could/would you question if the game is considered a fighter? If not a fighter, what else would it be?

sub

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I define what the game is based on how the game plays. Your flying around in 3d attempting to outmaneuver someone.

In fighting games, your pressing punch / kick in certain sequences to perform combos in order to drain the other guys life bar. 99 percent of the time it's in 2d.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
eh, you are right sub. its a fighting game but more of a new genre.

i would call it the strate-fighter. its more like an aerial dogfight, but with fists involved. dogfighting is all about getting your opponent to move into a position where you can get a good shot. there aren't any combo's in the game, really. blocking is only a last resort and not a main form of combat. the goal is to knock your opponent down so you can pelt them with energy attacks. in order to do that you have to hit them. too hit them you have to outmaneuver them. too outmaneuver them you have to think and react.

as i've said millions of times, its a game of 1on1 chess. both of the pieces being queens.

sub

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I actually like that definition of the game. It's more like a dog fight then it is a fighting game i think

Discord Member
Best answers
No if you post in here with just saying yes or no and nothing I will mark you up for spamming. Regardless of if you think so or not.
Just fuel the fire to an already dying community. Nice move.

★ Black Lounger ★
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
eh, you are right sub. its a fighting game but more of a new genre.

i would call it the strate-fighter. its more like an aerial dogfight, but with fists involved. dogfighting is all about getting your opponent to move into a position where you can get a good shot. there aren't any combo's in the game, really. blocking is only a last resort and not a main form of combat. the goal is to knock your opponent down so you can pelt them with energy attacks. in order to do that you have to hit them. too hit them you have to outmaneuver them. too outmaneuver them you have to think and react.

as i've said millions of times, its a game of 1on1 chess. both of the pieces being queens.
I agree. Its almost like a flight simulator, not a "fighter". You could call any game that you have to kill the opponent a fighter, because thats what physical conflict is, a fight. ESF is much more about movement than combinations of buttons or attacks, it's completely free form in terms of attacks, it's more about how well you manuever when it comes to melee, it is in that sense I think it's more of a flight simulator. Advanced melee is more like a dance game than a fighter, and beams are like rocket launchers, yet I don't see anyone calling it an FPS, or a dance game here.

It doesn't really fit into a specific genre, It's ESF, it's made its own genre if you ask me.

Best answers
My turn.. I think the game is hard to put into a certain genre, but I would probably call it a fast paced third person action game. Or just third person action game if you play against runners anyway..
I can understand what Sub mean about only 10% contact and 90% distance. I believe this is true with simple melee. Even though I am an offensive player (or was, dunno anymore havent played in ages) - I am offensive because it puts preassure on the opponent, and then I will look for them to make a mistake so I can get an opening.

Esf is really a lot about analyzing during combat, making surprises, changing style, finding openings, fix your own mistakes... All of these things must be done in a match to 10, and you can really adapt a lot during those 10 kills it takes to win. Such things are to keep the right distance and so on. A lot of these things also goes for fighting games such as tekken (which is my main game now) - and I can see a lot of things that are necessary in both games.

OK making it short now: If esf is based on simple melee (which i think it is) then its a third person action game, since there are no difficult comboes etc, its just a 1 hit wonder if you know what i mean, even though it has some beat em up features as well.

Now with Kung-Fu action!
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
ESF is ESF. The only other game I've seen like it is Mechmod. Otherwise it's unique. It gets it's own genre

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
*Cough* Toxen, offensive? Only in language. In playstyle, I don't think so. =o

Anywho, I'd also classify this as a third person action game. It's no more a fighter than Halo is.

Best answers
Who are you to comment on my playstyle? A no one. So don't need to hear anything from you. Ask the old top players of europe and they will agree with me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom