Internet Explorer Help!

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I'm posting this thread using Mozilla (Not Firefox).

For the past few weeks, I had been having problems with Steam downloading custom content from servers. It would crash to the desktop without so much as a Windows alert. I later heard a rumor that Internet Explorer Beta 7 was the caue of this. Seeing as I had IE Beta 7 installed at the time, I decided to revert back to IE6. The problem was, Mozilla Firefox was set as my default browser at the time, so when I went to revert, something got screwed up. I would open IE6 and type in any address, and instead of opening the page in IE6, Mozilla Firefox would launch and display the desired site. Well, what I decided to do was remove Mozilla Firefox... Bad move...

Here is where I'm at now. I open IE6, which is set as my default browser (I had to do some reading to find out how to manually set a default browser) and type in any address. Now, after entering the address, an error pops up saying "Application not found". I've done my fair share of reading (2 hours of it to be precise) and I've come up completely empty as to how this can be fixed. So, naturally, I turn now to the ESF community to help me in my hour of need. What can I do to fix this?

EDIT: I can set my homepage and it will load when I launch IE6, and from there I can click links to get around. Just thought I'd say it, to give as much information as possible. And if you need more information about anything, just ask me. I'll do whatever it takes to get this fixed (Except, maybe, have sex with you, I don't wanna do that).

Lost in space
Banned
Best answers
Backup your data and reinstall Windows. (and don't use beta software from MS... lol)

Upgrading/Downgrading something as intertwined into the OS as IE = stupid and potentially hazardous (as you've found out)

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Can't reformat my drive, I've already got like 3 other computers running Windows with my CD-key. Microsoft will have a fit. Got an alternative?

Base belongs to me.
👑 Administrator
🌠 Staff
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💎Légéñdārý
Best answers
I can't promise you that this will work, but you could try. Do the following:

Open "My Computer", click Tools --> Folder Options. And click on "File Types". Now scroll a bit down until you see "[NONE] URL:File Hypertext Transfer Protocol & also the transfer one few above if needed.

Click on the "Advanced" button, then click whatever you see and put it as default. Mine is "open" as default which has been set as FireFox. Click on "Edit" as well and de-select "Use DDE" and press oke. Oke again and apply if needed. Then try again.

You might want to mess with the settings over there. I can't say it would fix your problem but its always worth a shot. I say it might not fix it due the above settings are actually (as far as i know) for hyper links/text. But worth a shot ^_^

Solution #2
You could always go to safe mode in Windows XP and do a system restore to a date you wish to restore, well. Your system... Either that, or use your Windows XP cd to go to the installation menu and fix Windows XP from there. (possible overwrites mostly all the files)

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Holy shiznit, it actually worked. I'm posting this in IE. YAY! You're a god, and I am forever in your debt.

Edit: This can be closed now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom