Increase the ESF-TEAM

Best answers
I would suggest a certain modeller to be on the team, but he probably wouldn't either, and you the team would think it would slow you down. Anyway like I don't see how somethings take so long. Not to flame or anything, but this is my opinion. Ok say it took a full year to do 1.2. Ok like now I was looking at certain things. LIke the maps or whatever. If it really takes that long, why can't the maps be Identical to the show wait no thats sugar coating. why can they be near perfect to the show. Like the Cell games map. Its identical, but not perfect for example. Now I might be a perfectionist a little too much, but if it takes a year to do something I think somehting should be almost flawless.

Moving with Sonic Speed
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I don't think it's the models that take the longest, I think it's the coding, and you can't just hire more coders to get it done faster because they would have trouble following each others' code and wouldn't know where to look for certain parts of the code that they didn't work on when there was a problem of some kind.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
The team already has three coders (to my knowledge, Greg, HarSens and PCJoe) so if you say adding more would only slow down development then theres not much anyone outside the team can do to speed up the process.

How did the Tien contest fail? I saw some excellent models on the site when it was on.

Maybe have a monthly mapping competition too? It would give us something else to focus on than v1.3, and you could have prizes like the <a href="http://www.esf-world.de/main.php?content=news&lang=en">1st Official ESF World Tournament</a> did, or you could include the best ones in v1.3's (or even v1.2.3) mappack.

whereswarren (King_Vegeta)
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Now see that is using youre head. People can start producing high quality models, maps, sprites and sounds , but with reason, they would not only be honing thier skills but also the possibility of your work being in esf is enough insentive to bring out the best in people.

King of the Hello Kitty Fanclub
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Yeah, I like Ravendust's idea too. Not like I can model/skin/map anything, I could record sounds though. I have the entire DB series so I could get some good Tien sounds.

Best answers
Ravendust said:
How did the Tien contest fail? I saw some excellent models on the site when it was on.
Yes. But none of them got animated. As I said before, we could have hundreds of awesome models, sounds and sprites, but with noone to animate them and code them ingame they would be useless.

Greg doesn't code for the game, just for the website. Right now, Joe and Rick are doing the most of the coding, I'm mainly doing planning and design work, but I should a least be doing the new PS system for 1.3.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
there could be an map competition, the best map get's in the game.
if you agree then i will make a tread for it ^_^.
just pm me and say the rulez for the competition in it so i can post that with it.

2D/3D Artist
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
i once wanted to join the team, it was sometime ago and i thought i wasnt good enough.
besides, now they have GG, Kama, Smo (did he left or something?)..
anyway, i think they got it under controle, if they wanted more modelers/skinners/mappers they would have said something...
i really want to join but my problem now is time, i hardly have time to do anything cause of school... ;l

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Super Veggeto said:
i once wanted to join the team, it was sometime ago and i thought i wasnt good enough.
besides, now they have GG, Kama, Smo (did he left or something?)..
anyway, i think they got it under controle, if they wanted more modelers/skinners/mappers they would have said something...
i really want to join but my problem now is time, i hardly have time to do anything cause of school... ;l

You and NeD are the two best modellers i have ever seen -.- Don't ever say you're not good enough. I think Smo did leave. And i didn't even know Kama was on the team.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
ive recently been doing some some sound editing myself, not only just recording the sound clearly, i mean actually editing. Ive been wanting to get FreeDom to look at them since he himself is a sound artist, just to see if he thinks they are ok...

Old School
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
niobe said:
there could be an map competition, the best map get's in the game.
Ha, yea right. Seeing how the last "competition" has failed, I bet a mapping contest would share the same fate.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
TwisteR said:
Ha, yea right. Seeing how the last "competition" has failed, I bet a mapping contest would share the same fate.

Don't be so sure MP, Maps you don't have to animate, skin, etc.

It's not as hard building a map than it is making a model, skinning it, animating it etc.

But i bet you knew all this already. I'm also against this idea thought, because anyone could make a decent map. But i will admit, a lot of Dj-Ready's maps are a lot similar to each other. But they are still good mind you :smile:

Old School
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Im sure it would fend better than the modeling contest, for the obvious reasons youve said. But the reason the Tien contest was going on in the first place is because it was the fans that wanted it so badly, so they were given a chance.
Fire Phoenix said:
But i will admit, a lot of Dj-Ready's maps are a lot similar to each other. But they are still good mind you :smile:
I agree. His newest map reminds me of esf_cell_games, without the ring and a different tone of green, for the grass.

Moving with Sonic Speed
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
The Tien contest was a golden opportunity for the community to show that it would be willing to support something it wanted in game. One person to model, one to animate. The sounds were there, the model was done, but that is as far as it got, and nobody bothered to make sure it got finished. It could easily have gotten in game, but there wasn't enough effort put into it. It's a black mark against the community that wanted Tien in the game so badly at one point. My thanks still goes out to the modelers and sound pack people.

The Viking
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Fire Phoenix said:
Don't be so sure MP, Maps you don't have to animate, skin, etc.

It's not as hard building a map than it is making a model, skinning it, animating it etc.

But i bet you knew all this already. I'm also against this idea thought, because anyone could make a decent map. But i will admit, a lot of Dj-Ready's maps are a lot similar to each other. But they are still good mind you :smile:
Not as hard hmm, i'd like to see you pull off a good map.

Best answers
My appoligies to the team and other forum-members..
Some of you didnt really understood what i meant..
I agree with some treads and disagree with others..

The Tien contest for example was a briljant idea..my suggestion was similair to that.
It CAN help increasing the speed of coming versions..and i know that the team has there own lives.

That's why i suggested that the team should increase, because of that let's say there are 20 on the team now..each working 2 hours a day.. increasing the team making 30-35 members work 2 hours a day or with the increase members they could work 1,5 hour a day.

I didnt ordered anyone it just a mere suggestion that could help.
I would actually be better if the team puts lines in the forums like.. each week an head-subject like: Attacks (suggestions of attacks), Characters, Maps etc.

And sorry that i didnt replied earlier..i was a week without internet..

Best answers
Optimus Primal said:
My appoligies to the team and other forum-members..
Some of you didnt really understood what i meant..
I agree with some treads and disagree with others..

The Tien contest for example was a briljant idea..my suggestion was similair to that.
It CAN help increasing the speed of coming versions..and i know that the team has there own lives.

That's why i suggested that the team should increase, because of that let's say there are 20 on the team now..each working 2 hours a day.. increasing the team making 30-35 members work 2 hours a day or with the increase members they could work 1,5 hour a day.

I didnt ordered anyone it just a mere suggestion that could help.
I would actually be better if the team puts lines in the forums like.. each week an head-subject like: Attacks (suggestions of attacks), Characters, Maps etc.

And sorry that i didnt replied earlier..i was a week without internet..
I don't think you understand us.

You can't just add more people and expect development to go faster. Imagine doing the dishes. Now with 2 people you'd do a fine job. One of them would be drying, the other would be washing. You could increase the speed a bit by adding 2 extra people (one to grab the dishes from the table and give them to the washer, one to grab clean dishes from the dryer and put them away). Note that while you double the amount of people this won't speed up the dish washing by 2. Adding even more people might even slow down the dishwashing task, because they would get into eachothers way in the small kitchen. It's the same with a mod team.

Now you say we could get the esf community to do separate "pack" like stuff for us. Well, as the Tien contest shows, not even 3 community members (skinner, modeller, animator) can get together and produce something usefull of ESF quality. So everything they produce would require the team itself extra time to put in. To get back to the dishwashing anology, we'd basicly have one external guy washing dishes in his kitchen at home, while we have to bring him the dishes, pick them up again, dry them and put them away. Not very efficient.

Also, as I said before we need a good ratio of people doing different team tasks. Ofcourse we could hire thousands of dish dryers, but that wouldn't speed us up at all if we can only find one dish washer.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
i agree with harsens, when you have 20 members that know eachother well and can work with eachother, everything goes fine

harsens fixes a bug, sends the coding to joe, he fixes some, sends to harsens
but if there kept coming more coders in the team, they would need to keep sending eachother ALOOOT of updates which could get annoying and messy, not to forget, maybe other coders do something different then harsens would like, with 2 coders, differences in toughts can be settled but with 6 coders this gets alot harder

and also...more coders doesnt really mean better and faster finished versions, more coders can actually make the game buggier if they cant code well, its hard to find good coders these days...

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I like this idea, the team could sticky a concept and everyone can post there ideas, when the team has enough feedback and inspiration they can de-sticky it. Like 'New attack for Krillin' as an example, aside from that (and custom content) there's nothing we can do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom