I'm sorry if this is not allowed

Status
Not open for further replies.
✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
Sorry to bother you people i'm kind of ashamed to ask this. Anyway as some of you might know i own the old WON version of Half Life which works but i can't activate it on steam. Whenever i type in the CD key on steam it says that it's not valid. I asked around on the steam forums and they couldn't(or wouldn't help me).Anyway i guess that is what happens when i'm an idiot and borrow my originals to my friends so i don't have the right to complain. The main point of this is that i want to buy HL from steam but i don't have a credit card (im only 18) and there are weekend actions where it's being sold for 0.99$ if i heard correctly. Now i'd like to ask if anyone here is willing to gift the game to me when it's going to be 0.99$. So far i started visiting those PTC sites but damn i earn like 0.0010$(i'm not kidding) per click and i get limited number of clicks. So when i earn enough i'll pay you back. Anyway sorry again if this is not allowed and please don't ban me.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I don't think it is wrong to ask someone to gift you the game as long as you pay back. However, there might be a couple of other things you can try. If you still legitly own your Half Life game, try contacting Steam (not through the forum, try their support) they may be able to help you further, if you still have the legal jewel case (If I remember correctly, you need to show them a picture of the CD with the CDKey). You can also use Paypal on Steam, no credit card is required, you can link your bankaccount to your Paypal account.

Last edited:
✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
I don't think it is wrong to ask someone to gift you the game as long as you pay back. However, there might be a couple of other things you can try. If you still legitly own your Half Life game, try contacting Steam (not through the forum, try their support) they may be able to help you further, if you still have the legal jewel case (If I remember correctly, you need to show them a picture of the CD with the CDKey). You can also use Paypal on Steam, no credit card is required, you can link your bankaccount to your Paypal account.
Thanks for the reply. I'll try again with the steam support as soon as i find the game since i buried it somewhere but i don't think it'll work even if i take a photo because it seems one of the guys that got a hold of my game linked it to their account and then somehow blocked the original one or whatever and when i even try to explain that all to myself it sounds unbeliveable so i don't think steam is going to believe me either but i'll try once more. And what do you mean by linking a bank account. I don't have one

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
friend of mine had this issue, he contacted steam support who asked for some evidence of ownership which was basically a screenshot of the CD/case. after which they enabled it on his account on the day. might be worth doing that!

Now you say that someone else has linked the key with their account, again as your the owner you can ask for them to deactivate the key and shift it onto your account assuming you can provide the above evidence.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
friend of mine had this issue, he contacted steam support who asked for some evidence of ownership which was basically a screenshot of the CD/case. after which they enabled it on his account on the day. might be worth doing that!
I love Valve.

✔️ HL Verified
Best answers

Now you say that someone else has linked the key with their account, again as your the owner you can ask for them to deactivate the key and shift it onto your account assuming you can provide the above evidence.
Well i'll try that. I can't actually say what happened because i didn't quite understand what the "friend" i initially borrowed the game to said. He said that he borrowed the game to someone who again borrowed it someone else.Now the game has been sitting there for quite some time(5-6 months or so) until i finally got it back. I guess that during that time that guy linked the game to his steam account and then asked valve to change the CD-Key with some false statement that someone stole his CD-Key and has been using it(and i guess for that he had to prove he "owns" the game). When i finally got the game back i tried linking it to my steam account but always got the Invalid CD-Key error so i contacted the support and went on the forums and the support said that someone proved that he owns that CD-Key and that if can't in any way prove that i bought the game first(and that is true sadly) they can't do anything.But it is all my fault so i can't expect anything anyway

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Just tell the support that you tried to activate your CD key but that you couldn't for whatever reason. Don't tell them that you lend the game to a friend or something.

Last edited:
Sound Artist
Best answers
I've had similar troubles with Valve, when HL2 came out I tried to add it to my account linked to HL1, only it wouldn't let me register because of my username, now i have 2 accounts and I have to switch logins for any HL1 mods. For 2 years i've been emailing them to link the 2 accounts together, they used to offer it for free. Every time i'd get no response, now it's not allowed :p Effin Valve!

✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
Just say tell the support that you tried to activate your CD key but that you couldn't for whatever reason. Don't tell them that you lend the game to a friend or something.
I didn't tell anything the first time. I guess they checked the CD-Key, noticed that it has been changed, looked it up and saw what the other guy did.

Anyway when are those Half Life "action prices" when it's only 0.99$ ?

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I think they are random, when there are any holidays. Still Valve usually is very customer friendly, so they just might help you if you keep nagging them about it. I don't believe they would just turn someone down when their account/Half Life has, essentially, been stolen.

✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
I think they are random, when there are any holidays. Still Valve usually is very customer friendly, so they just might help you if you keep nagging them about it. I don't believe they would just turn someone down when their account/Half Life has, essentially, been stolen.
Heh... i'm afraid that if i keep nagging them that i'd get banned for...well nagging. As i already said this is all my fault. I was just careless and didn't look after my stuff so i got punished and now i resort to begging. The worst thing about all this is that there are absolutely no stores that sell old Half Life. Hell you can hardly find The Orange Box and that got released what? 2 years ago? Stores here in Croatia only sell the newest crap and you're even lucky if you find a store that sells original games. Most of them sell pirated copies disguised as originals. Only the stores in the shopping malls have original games and only the newest ones

Last edited:
Best answers
Do we need an account to host servers? Or can those of us without an account join eachothers servers through the client itself instead of the "master" servers?

Base belongs to me.
👑 Administrator
🌠 Staff
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💎Légéñdārý
Best answers
Do we need an account to host servers? Or can those of us without an account join eachothers servers through the client itself instead of the "master" servers?
Yes, you need a steam account as far as I know in order to download the required files. How ever, you don't need the Half-Life game in order to run one. if I'm mistaken, please correct me :).

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
As far as I know, you can just (freely) download the Dedicated Server stuff in Steam, and use it to run a dedicated HL server.

Pwns Mastasurf at TF2
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Valve will get it done for you 100%. They're usually quick anbd easy about it during business hours. If you're trying during off hours, it might take a few days of back and forth between you and support, but it'll get done.

✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
Valve will get it done for you 100%. They're usually quick anbd easy about it during business hours. If you're trying during off hours, it might take a few days of back and forth between you and support, but it'll get done.
Don't think it'll work and i already got rejected twice so i'm giving it up. Also i apologize for shameless begging and i've decided that i'll try to find a way to buy the game myself(again)(does anyone know of any way to earn/transfer money to paypal fast if i don't have a credit card) so sorry for wasting your time bothering to read my topic and it's kind of misleading title(not exactly misleading but couldn't find the right word for it).Anyway i'd like to ask the mods to close this and if anyone would be kind enough to inform me (PM or email) when HL gets the 0.99$ pricetag again. Thank you all

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom