I'm kinda lost...

Best answers
I bought a new computer and I haven't played ESF in a long time. So anyway, I installed half life on this computer and uh what patches do I need to install before installing ESF? There's just so many different patches and so many links. I'm lost.

ESF Head Team Mapper
👑 Administrator
🌠 Staff
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
🍂 Regular
Best answers
or just install 1.2.3 full ... >_>

Best answers
Isn't there another half life patch I'm supposed to install?

★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Umm, your not supposed to be using the Half-Life that comes with the disc. Instead get the new Half-Life at www.steampowered.com

Best answers
I've played ESF before with the CD version.

And the latest patch isn't working. >_> man I'm so lost.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Maybe it's because you stopped playing before WON's shut down. Now you have to use Steam in order to play online.
Go here and get Steam. Install, and Steam will update itself once you run it.
Then you create a new Steam account. After you've done that, go to browse games (at the steam main menu) and choose 'Register a product I already own'.
Type your Half-Life CD-Key and wait for Steam to download Half-Life. Finally, you can install ESF in the new directory of half-life. It's supposed to be:
C:/Program Files/Valve/Steam/Steamapps/(account name here)/half-life.
You can download ESF's latest version (1.2.3) without waiting, from here:
Redsaiyan Mirror (Just press download)

Best answers
I downloaded the updates and registerd the cd key for half life but steam didn't "download half life"

I have that directory but instead of half life I have counter strike. So it says:

C:/Program Files/Valve/Steam/Steamapps/(account name here)/counterstrike

>_> sorry for all the questions but did I do something wrong here?

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
i saw some steam patch on hlfiles , i was wondering how to setup hl on steam (iy seem'd rather mind boggling coz of how dodgey steam can be at times) it's about 293mb , go get that installer

Best answers

The install button won't light up. >_< man i really wanna play this game. ESF was the only reason I even got half life.

Best answers
Ok I got it installed and now I have another problem. Man I feel like a moron.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
It's looking for ESF in C:\SIERRA, it's a dead giveaway you installed it into the wrong directory, or you have the wrong version.
It should look like this:

Best answers
Yeah I installed ESF into

"C:\SIERRA\Half-Life\esf"

although the error says it's looking for the dll in "C:\SIERRA\Half-Life/esf"

I downloaded the client from http://www.redsaiyan.org/pafiledb.php?action=file&id=3

Isn't that the latest version? If it's not what should I do? Or if it is the latest version then what directory should I have installed it in?

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Perhaps you don't understand.

ESF will NOT work for online play in C:\SIERRA.

You need to install Steam. You can find a very nice walkthrough here.

Once you have Steam installed, you need to make sure you have a working copy of either Half-Life or Counter-Strike.

Once you do that, install ESF into the directory you have. For the purposes of this explanation let's say you have Half-Life.

Run Half-Life once before you try to install ESF.

Once you have installed Half-Life and ran it once, you can install ESF to this location:
C:\Program Files\Steam\SteamApps\AccountName\half-life\esf

Once you have installed it into the correct directory simply run Steam and select ESF from the "Third Party Games" menu.

If you have Counter-Strike for Steam, simply replace Half-Life with Counter-Strike and you should be fine.

Best answers
Yay it worked. Thanks allot everyone for helping me out. And thank you pain. Wooo :D

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
make sure u don't install the patches to steamapps/accountname/Half-Life/esf , just cut out esf from the end part , the installer just overwrites the esf folder that's previously in there with the updated content of that patch , tha's what can screw an install of esf up

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom