I'm downgrading W7 RC back to XP

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
The switch isn't that good for me to stay or upgrade when it releases. Edit: I just figured it out but I'm not sure if the partition will be there if I install XP?

Maybe recommend some programs like CCleaner and JKDefrag and AVG.

Last edited:
✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
If your hardware permits you to use a 64bit OS then I'd highly recommend not going back to XP.

You're gonna want Vista 64bit...cause it's alot better than it used to be.

I mean, I don't know what hardware you have, but XP now is for, well, low end machines.

Here's why you should go with Vista64 and not XP.

• Newer, better kernel with greatly improved memory management.
  • A far better display driver model. Windows XPs driver model is strongly based off of Windows 95's driver model, which just plain isn't very suitable for modern computer hardware.
  • Desktop Window Manager, which provides 3D compositing, uses the GPU to render the desktop as opposed to the CPU, and uses vector icons and graphics as opposed the raster icons and graphics used in XP and older.
  • A newer audio stack
  • A better security model, including UAC which uses split security tokens and registry virtualization to improve system security.
  • Many new APIs, including the DirectX 10 APIs.

G-Bear
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
Discord Member
Best answers
While Vista has it ups, it still peforms worse then XP. Especially gaming wise.(And reliability)

I suggest you downgrade to Windows XP 64bit, the only thing you might miss is DirectX 10.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
While Vista has it ups, it still peforms worse then XP. Especially gaming wise.(And reliability)

I suggest you downgrade to Windows XP 64bit, the only thing you might miss is DirectX 10.
I'm fine with a 32bit OS system. I like what Windows 7 and Vista offers as a user friendly system. It makes everything easier for the user but I absolutely hate the performance on the games and I'm guessing it's the same on Vista. I couldn't even play with decent graphics in TF2 and on here on XP I can play without skips even with some desktop application enhancements.

I tried Assassins creed in before I uninstalled W7 and I see no difference but instead of seeing a regular blur I saw more of a "box" blur. Looked great but not enough for me to switch to either one.

🚂 Steam Linked
Discord Member
Best answers
When Windows XP first came out it also had bluescreens, loads of bugs and stuff. But when SP1 came out most of them were fixed and XP became very usable. When SP2 came out XP was very stable, had no bluescreens and was very fast. SP3 made it even faster and that's why I hope that when Windows7 will have it's SP1's and SP2's out it will be the future Windows XP. Right now Windows7 is a very fast windows for a windows that has the same engine as Vista.

Death from Above
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Win 7 isn't finished yet so you can't fully judge :)

✔️ HL Verified
Discord Member
Best answers
As a user to Windows 7 Professional (official build 7600 - actually legit as well MSDN ftw) I have to say the operating system has huge advantages in both the 32bit and 64bit realms. A lot of my older computers seem to be adopting Win7 very nicely, and to top that off, this might just be me, but my games actually perform better than they did on windows vista. My laptop is sitting on a nVidia 8600GT 512mb edition and it just flat out plays all of my games, from meager games like WarCraft III to Assassins Creed and Team Fortress 2 just better in general. My framerates have increased and my system is just more stable. But that again might just be me. I'll all for the Windows 7 bandwagon at this point, especially with all the nice little features in between (I love the window shake minimize, I personally think thats genious).

I WANT A PICTURE NAME
Banned
Best answers
go to xp.. and if you miss w7 get a theme and a wallpaper ^^

Best answers
go to xp.. and if you miss w7 get a theme and a wallpaper ^^
lol, he wont miss 7 cuz of the eye candy, he will miss it because it performs better overall. i have it installed on a mid-range gaming rig (x64 vista -> x64 win7), and my laptop (x86 XP pro -> x86 win7) and overall i have seen huge performance gains, even on my laptop, which barely makes the minimum requirments.

if you have the hardware to run it, i fully say stick with win7, here are my reasons.

- better resource managment.
- better file indexing, and boot times
- stability (while you may argue that your xp is more stable then the win7 beta. i have yet to crash it, and i spend alot of time on my computer(s) )

so, if you do downgrade, you will regret it because XP is a POS compared to even vista.

Best answers
I'm on dual boot with x64 Windows 7 and x86 Windows XP and I've got to say 7 > XP in everything including gaming.

Base belongs to me.
👑 Administrator
🌠 Staff
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💎Légéñdārý
Best answers
I downgraded back to XP. I had too much network issues with Windows 7. I couldn't even share files on the network and it already disconnects right away when attempting to do so. Windows 7 is great, but I prefer sticking on XP for now.

Best answers
I downgraded back to XP. I had too much network issues with Windows 7. I couldn't even share files on the network and it already disconnects right away when attempting to do so. Windows 7 is great, but I prefer sticking on XP for now.
yeah, the networking in win7 could use some work, i had to do alot of tweaking to be able to file share, and stream video to my xbox. but whats nice is thats the only issue that i have ever had with win7. no crashes, no driver problems at all. works better then vistas final does xD

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom