I want to learn to encode.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Something I've wanted to learn for a while, but have been unsuccessful. Most people on the net use the term "learning how to encode" so I suppose it's a little more complicated than just buying random converters and outputing files. Could anyone give me just a brief introduction on how it's really done, and recommend me some software? I heard VirtualDub is good, but every time I encode with it the audio and video don't sync. So yeah, help?

Best answers
heh, Want me to teah ya on msn?

Hmm you aren't online, so anyway I'll first start by recommending some softwares.
1. Winavi Good for storing files. It gets the rm files done quite well without too much loss of quality. Quite n00bish seeing as it doesnt give you the full control over your encoding settings.
2. Xilisoft Video converter. It gives you a lot of control over settings such as bitrates and audio settings and stuff, however it doesnt have rm support.
3. Easy Real Converter. Good for rm files. However not much else can be said about it.

If you are just wodnering about decreasing file size then all files you encode must be in rm. Seeing as rm = one-thirds of avi or any other.
I wouldn't quite recommend learning much about mpeg files since they're pretty useless unless you want to burn VCDs, which dont exist nowadays
For XVid, you'll have to get the separate plugins for Winavi. Which has some cool Xvid conversion settings.

Remember what you're encoding for. Whether its for saving file size or for keeping quality. I think you're going into the file size with quality mode. So for that, choose either divX or Xvid with the minimum quality setting at 75% or preferably 80%.
Don't decrease frame rates as that only makes a crappy video.

The bit rates are good to tinker with till you find the perfect settign yo need. If you've seent eh DBZ low quality episodes that runa round the net, well those have bit rates of 300.
DVD movies have bitrates of nearly 1500.
Remember that all these are the video settings.

Audio is a whole together different thing.
Dont mess with stereo/monoo effects. That just makes the sound crazy. However for anime a setting of mono is better than stereo simply because you don't have theatric audio fx in anime.
In music videos however, keep them to stereo unless you want to lose the song quality.

Keep audio bitrates at 128 for voice and at 192 or higher for songs.

Personally, I leave audio as it is and mess with video.

Oh and video dimensions. Never resize to 320x240 or something lower unless you want to put videos into an ipod.
But dont stretch the file dimensions either.
A common misconception of videos is that if you stretch a video's dimensions, its file quality increases. That is crap. It does. it looks just how it would if you resized in while it played in media player classic or in VLC player. Yeah itll look bad.

But your videos dont need to be 1024x768 either. at 640x480 theyll be good enough.
Oh yeah always dont change the ratio setting.
Dont make 4:3 (Normal monitors) into 16:9 (Widescreen)! Thats the WORST THING you could do.

MC

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Something I've wanted to learn for a while, but have been unsuccessful. Most people on the net use the term "learning how to encode" so I suppose it's a little more complicated than just buying random converters and outputing files. Could anyone give me just a brief introduction on how it's really done, and recommend me some software? I heard VirtualDub is good, but every time I encode with it the audio and video don't sync. So yeah, help?
Encoding isn't too hard to learn though it can be a pain if you don't know which codec you should use.

Anyway, to encode a video with VirtualDub:

Open the video file in VirtualDub.
Go to "Video" > "Compression".
Select a codec from the box (I don't remember which one was widely supported by media players).
Make sure your video meets the codec requirements (if there are any).
Click "Ok".
Go to File > "Save as AVI...".

That's the basic way of doing it with VirtualDub.

I recommend using this site (http://www.virtualdub.org/) for help with VirtualDub. There's even a forums which you can ask for help on.

Best answers
Select a codec from the box (I don't remember which one was widely supported by media players).
Its either xvid or Divx for avis and indeo codec for MPg and Fraunhofer codec for MP4.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
OK thanks you guys, just one question: What's the difference between XviD and DivX?

EDIT: One more thing. I made a list of all the codecs included in VirtualDub:

Cinepak Codec by Radius
ffdshow Video Codec
HelixI420 YUV Codec
HelixYV12 YUV Codec
Huffyuv v2.1.1 -CCESP Patch v0.2.5
Indeo video 5.10
Intel l.263 Video Driver 2.55.012
Intel Video(R) Video Interactive
Intel Video(R) Video R3.2
Intel IYUV Codec
Microsoft H.261 Video Codec
Microsoft H.263 Video Codec
Microsoft RLE
Microsoft Video 1
Microsoft Windows Media Video 9
VP60 Sample Profile
VP61 Advanced Profile
VP62 Heightened Sharpness Profile
VP70 General Profile
x264 - H264/AVC Encoder
XviD MPEG-4 Codec

So which one should I use? Or should I DL another custom one? And yeah, I wanna encode to AVI.

Best answers
xvid!!!

10charsareNOTsexeh!

EDiT: DivX overused in them old days. xvid... overused nowadays... lol.
divx = xvid in reverse.. o_o'
Oh well...
I guess Divx was kind more compression based. Xvid is more quality based.

Hmm Divx not being listed in that virtual dub list just proves that its outclassed.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
[...]
Hmm Divx not being listed in that virtual dub list just proves that its outclassed.
Or that they just don't have the permission to ship that codec with their program.

Best answers
Or perhaps you just need to have DivX Codec installed first... :S

It can only compress with those codecs that have been installed on your computer...

MC

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
OK thanks you guys, just one question: What's the difference between XviD and DivX?
DivX and Xvid are pretty much the same with minor differences.

Cinepak Codec by Radius
ffdshow Video Codec
HelixI420 YUV Codec
HelixYV12 YUV Codec
Huffyuv v2.1.1 -CCESP Patch v0.2.5
Indeo video 5.10
Intel l.263 Video Driver 2.55.012
Intel Video(R) Video Interactive
Intel Video(R) Video R3.2
Intel IYUV Codec
Microsoft H.261 Video Codec
Microsoft H.263 Video Codec
Microsoft RLE
Microsoft Video 1
Microsoft Windows Media Video 9
VP60 Sample Profile
VP61 Advanced Profile
VP62 Heightened Sharpness Profile
VP70 General Profile
x264 - H264/AVC Encoder
XviD MPEG-4 Codec

So which one should I use? Or should I DL another custom one? And yeah, I wanna encode to AVI.
As for which codec to use, it depends on what you're doing. If you want to make a high-quality video, then you should use the Xvid or DivX codecs. The only thing is if you use those codecs, whoever tries to view the video must have those codecs installed.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
They're pretty common though, and a quick search of Google will fix it even if you don't.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Alright, I got the DivX codec installed and working, just one more question: Can VirtualDub be used to encode to RMVB?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom