I Hate When This Happens...

Eon

TeeHee
Banned
Best answers
Sometimes when I am playing ESF someone comes in with huge ping and it sets off everyone elses, normally i would just leave a server or something but I recently got wind that there are hacks out there that do that just so they can piss people off,

I am wondering if that is an actual hack somewhere and if it is for the entire HL system so there can be some way to counter it or tell if someone is either mucho lagging, or using this "hack" that i have heard of

Best answers
I've heard there is a hack for hl that when you leave a server your computer ping floods all the players in the server... Causing them to like freeze (like lag) It's possible wouldn't be a hard script to make...

Best answers
hmm i should do that to a person get my friend he knows over billions of each code ftp..cgi..html..hes a awesome mo` fo`

Best answers
;( i agree its REALLY ticking me off,no one joins the main esf server anymore because its a lagg fest :S,do you know any other NON-LAGGY popular servers?

Best answers
noone joins your server? you got a firewall? SHUT UP! i think you do o.o so do i so i join other games ppl boot me for whoopin there asses

Best answers
If people really wanted to crash a server (with their computer) They could start some major downloads run alot of programs join a server, with all the traffic his computer is useing he could take a server down but his computer would go with it.

Best answers
Servers are set up so that there is a maximum download allowed per user, and a maximum upload from server to client.

When a person who is laggy joins a game, they do not cause other pings to sky rocket, that is just the effects of a slow server, perhaps someone is using it at the time the high pinge'd person joined. So there is no hack in terms of that, there are ways to flood the server however, with commands being sent to it that can often cause it to crash. I doubt anyone is smart enough with in this community to figure out how to use those packets, let alone use them.

And for future reference people - hacks do not exist in half-life. There is a thin line between exploits and cheats, exploits are commands with-in half-life that can be manipulated to change the environment of the game to give the client an advantage, and cheats are programs that can be run along with half-life to also give an advantage to that client. Hacks are when you actually run some commands from your client to literally break into the actual server where you can gain access to anything on that server.

I only define them for you because I grow tired of people claiming someone hacks, I see it in half-life so much, its a little quark which really bothers me.( Is quark a word? rofl, if not, I define it as another term for trait.)

Moving with Sonic Speed
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I'm just wondering if whatever this is has to do with the official and hawaiian servers crashing every 10 minutes or so. Maybe somebody is getting pissed off, eh? Well whatever it is I hope we can isolate it.

Best answers
Originally posted by Ultimate Vegeta
noone joins your server? you got a firewall? SHUT UP! i think you do o.o so do i so i join other games ppl boot me for whoopin there asses

people will join my server if i make one,but the official esf server,the ESForces.com server thats always playing kami...

Eon

TeeHee
Banned
Best answers
oh yea and if any mod or anyone that knows this question please answer me this:
Does (or will) ESF have anti cheat technology to prevent hackers in case they are doing some stupid hack or something like that?

Best answers
Admin-mod provides anti-cheat, Half-Life gaurd. Even if no one cheats in ESF, it would still be nice to ban players who have the cheats on their system for other games, stickin' it to 'em for spoilen my fun. :\

Best answers
Originally posted by Minuteman
Servers are set up so that there is a maximum download allowed per user, and a maximum upload from server to client.

When a person who is laggy joins a game, they do not cause other pings to sky rocket, that is just the effects of a slow server, perhaps someone is using it at the time the high pinge'd person joined. So there is no hack in terms of that, there are ways to flood the server however, with commands being sent to it that can often cause it to crash. I doubt anyone is smart enough with in this community to figure out how to use those packets, let alone use them.

And for future reference people - hacks do not exist in half-life. There is a thin line between exploits and cheats, exploits are commands with-in half-life that can be manipulated to change the environment of the game to give the client an advantage, and cheats are programs that can be run along with half-life to also give an advantage to that client. Hacks are when you actually run some commands from your client to literally break into the actual server where you can gain access to anything on that server.

I only define them for you because I grow tired of people claiming someone hacks, I see it in half-life so much, its a little quark which really bothers me.( Is quark a word? rofl, if not, I define it as another term for trait.)
That is quite well put I give ya a high five for that! :yes:

He is actually quite right there is no such thing as a real "hack" in half-life and mods. There are cheats but no hacks. I would agree with him more that there are programs out there that flood the server with spam causeing it to crash. His information is quite accurate!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom