I can no longer get to my desktop

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I'll get right to the point. When starting up my computer, it doesn't make it to the desktop anymore. It goes halfway and then restarts.

What happened was I left my computer idle while I was playing a console game on the computer monitor via an adapter. I then unplugged my internet cable to plug it into the PS2 to play it online. However, I needed to get my ipconfig/all, so when I tried to do that, I found my mouse wasn't responding anymore. This happens every once in a while, and usually a restart or a complete shut-off fixes it.

I restarted the computer, and the mouse still didn't work. So instead, I flipped the swith in the back of the PC to completely shut it off. However, the computer was still starting up on the desktop, but I've done that before without problems.

I turn the computer back on, and all of a sudden I get to a screen that says this:

We apologise for the inconvenience, but windows did not start successfully. A recent hardware or software change might have caused this. (Note: The only changes I made recently were the unplugging/replugging of the internet cable, mouse, and keyboard).

If your computer stopped responding, restarted unexpectedly, or was automatically shut down to protect your files and folders, choose Last Known Good Configuration to revert to the most recent settings that worked.

If a previous startup attempt was interrupted due to a power failure or because the power or reset button was pressed, or if you aren't sure what caused the problem, choose Start Windows Normally. (Note: This is pretty much what happened).

Safe Mode
Safe Mode with Networking
Safe Mode with Command Prompt

Last Known Good Configuration (your most recent settings that worked)

Start Windows Normally

Use the up and down arrow keys to move the highlight to your choice.

Now then, I was given 5 options. 3 safe modes and the other 2. I tried all 5 of them. When choosing a safe mode option, I get a big list of .sys files to pop up, and then the computer restarts and I get the message again.

If I chose the other 2 options, the computer gets to the Windows XP logo screen with the scrolling green bar, and then restarts and I get back to the screen again. In short, none of the options worked.

So now I have no idea what to do. If none of the given options worked, what else is there for me to do? My computer can't be completely destroyed due to a manual shutdown. There has to be a logical explaination to this. Please. Help me out.

MC

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
~*Logan*~ said:
I'll get right to the point. When starting up my computer, it doesn't make it to the desktop anymore. It goes halfway and then restarts.

What happened was I left my computer idle while I was playing a console game on the computer monitor via an adapter. I then unplugged my internet cable to plug it into the PS2 to play it online. However, I needed to get my ipconfig/all, so when I tried to do that, I found my mouse wasn't responding anymore. This happens every once in a while, and usually a restart or a complete shut-off fixes it.

I restarted the computer, and the mouse still didn't work. So instead, I flipped the swith in the back of the PC to completely shut it off. However, the computer was still starting up on the desktop, but I've done that before without problems.

I turn the computer back on, and all of a sudden I get to a screen that says this:

We apologise for the inconvenience, but windows did not start successfully. A recent hardware or software change might have caused this. (Note: The only changes I made recently were the unplugging/replugging of the internet cable, mouse, and keyboard).

If your computer stopped responding, restarted unexpectedly, or was automatically shut down to protect your files and folders, choose Last Known Good Configuration to revert to the most recent settings that worked.

If a previous startup attempt was interrupted due to a power failure or because the power or reset button was pressed, or if you aren't sure what caused the problem, choose Start Windows Normally. (Note: This is pretty much what happened).

Safe Mode
Safe Mode with Networking
Safe Mode with Command Prompt

Last Known Good Configuration (your most recent settings that worked)

Start Windows Normally

Use the up and down arrow keys to move the highlight to your choice.

Now then, I was given 5 options. 3 safe modes and the other 2. I tried all 5 of them. When choosing a safe mode option, I get a big list of .sys files to pop up, and then the computer restarts and I get the message again.

If I chose the other 2 options, the computer gets to the Windows XP logo screen with the scrolling green bar, and then restarts and I get back to the screen again. In short, none of the options worked.

So now I have no idea what to do. If none of the given options worked, what else is there for me to do? My computer can't be completely destroyed due to a manual shutdown. There has to be a logical explaination to this. Please. Help me out.
I had the same problem, the only way I could fix it is by reformating and reinstalling Windows.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
MC said:
I had the same problem, the only way I could fix it is by reformating and reinstalling Windows.
Well thats just dandy. I don't have the windows CD with me. It's at HOME x.x

Well, I'd prefer to find a way to fix this without resorting to that, but if that's the ONLY way, I can just have the CD mailed to me.

MC

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I spent a week looking for a solution but nothing worked. So I had to reformat and reinstall Windows. If anything, just wait until |Overlord| or someone else to see what they can do.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I already called my stepfather and asked him to mail me the CDs, so they'll come regardless if I fix it or not. But still, I'd like to find an alternate solution.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Is there anything you may have installed recently that may be causing your system to be unstable?. At most, all I can think of at the moment would be to get a XP CD and repair your installation of windows. Other then that, If you're using Integrated LAN, disable it in the bios then boot up into windows to see how it behaves (And if that doesn't work re-enable it and try your luck with repairing your XP installation).

Best answers
Same problem happened to me a couple of weeks ago. Mine was a change of hardware. NO fix, had to reinstall XP, a bad driver, or an updated driver that is geared for newer cards and you have an older card (you didn't say, just guessing) can cause this problem.

A virus can cause too. If you have access to a bootable cd that does a boot time virus scan, you should try that too.

But unfortunately, something has become corrupted on your hard drive, and even if you get it running, a clean install may be still your best bet.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
|Overlord| said:
Is there anything you may have installed recently that may be causing your system to be unstable?. At most, all I can think of at the moment would be to get a XP CD and repair your installation of windows. Other then that, If you're using Integrated LAN, disable it in the bios then boot up into windows to see how it behaves (And if that doesn't work re-enable it and try your luck with repairing your XP installation).
The last thing I installed on my computer was well over two weeks ago. There was no recent changes. As for BIOS changes, I have no idea how to do that.

I asked for help on other message boards and they told me to write down what appears on the blue screen before it restarts, so I turned off automatic restart from the F8 menu and I got this message on the blue screen:

A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

UNMOUNTABLE_ BOOT_VOLUME

If this is the first time you've seen this stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

Check to make sure any new hardware or software is properly installed. If this is a new installation, ask your hardware or software manufacturer for any Windows updates you might need. If problems continue, disable or remove any newly installed hardware or software. Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing.

If you need to use Safe Mode... (Note: Just steps to get to the Safe Mode option from the F8 menu.)

Technical Information:

*** STOP: 0x000000ED (0x822E6E30, 0xC0000006, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

So there you have it. From what it looks like, the error is the UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME but I have no idea what that is or why this is happening now. Like I said, the only changes that have been made to my PC before this happened was the unplugging of an ethernet cable and my mouse and keyboard, and I already tried putting everything back the way it was before, and it didn't help.

MC

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
What caused it was how you shut off your computer. You stated that your mouse wasn't working so you manually turned off your computer; that's a bad idea. That's how I had the same problem, by manually turning off my computer.

Try reading through this: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555302/en-us

If that doesn't work then you have no choice but to reformat.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Yeah...I found that page as well when I did a google search on this error. A lot of it is greek to me though. I have no idea what 1/2 of the steps mean. All I know is...I need to have my XP CD.

So, it looks like I'm playing the waiting game until the CD shows up in the mail. I appreciate everyone's help so far.

Oh well. No computer gives me a chance to play my console games more. I'm in the middle of Valyrie Profile 2 right now and Tales of the Abyss comes out on the 10th, and I'm also back and forth on Breath of Fire 3, so at least I won't be bored. just no ESF or FFXI for the next week.

Beta Tester Squad
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
in the worst case you culd burn some hardware , i say unplug internet conetion look inside your pc and press beter the pices keep your fingers cross and try safe mode, and if safe mode work it culd be your video driver

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
MC said:
What caused it was how you shut off your computer. You stated that your mouse wasn't working so you manually turned off your computer; that's a bad idea. That's how I had the same problem, by manually turning off my computer.

Try reading through this: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555302/en-us

If that doesn't work then you have no choice but to reformat.
Iv'e shutdown my pc many times before in the past without shutting it down properly and never came across a strange error such as this. This was mainly due to an application being unstable or having problems in general. At most, sometimes files would be truncated, but it was very rare for that to happen for me. You're link in that post though does provide some useful information to him however.
john_volkov said:
in the worst case you culd burn some hardware , i say unplug internet conetion look inside your pc and press beter the pices keep your fingers cross and try safe mode, and if safe mode work it culd be your video driver
What you are saying in that post makes hardly any sense, plus from what I understand I very much doubt your advice on the issue.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Problem solved.

My parents gave me a surprise visit for my birthday yesterday and also brought my XP CD. After they left to go back home today, I ran the CD and did a repair. Now everything is back to normal.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
~*Logan*~ said:
Problem solved.

My parents gave me a surprise visit for my birthday yesterday and also brought my XP CD. After they left to go back home today, I ran the CD and did a repair. Now everything is back to normal.
Glad you fixed it on your own :yes:.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom