Halflife 2 - and my comp :P

Best answers
Hey there ! Im like having my birthday pretty soon, and as i dont have any other wishes really i was thinking about upgrading my comp for the upcoming hl2 ! Anyway, im wondering what to upgrade so if someone would gimme some tips it would be nice :)

Heres da specs:
AMD athlon 1800+ (1667 mhz)
256 mb ddr ram
Geforce 4 TI 4200 128 mb ram
80 GB harddisk (doesnt really matter though)

Any ideas what would give the best results for the money ?

Thx :)

/Max

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Get more ram, everything else will play it ok.

Best answers
Hm yeah ok i guess ur right - should i buy more than 256 extra or is that waste do ya think?
Btw thx for the quick answer :)

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I heard that the recommended specs for half-life 2 are basically the rig in my sig. So take a look at that and try and find yourself a good balance on your way in that direction.

Your vid card should be fine; at least 512mb ram (if it's DDR, should he get more? I don't know about Ram that much). Your processor could be better but for HL2's physics engine I dunno what it eats more of, ram, vid ram, or processing power. Once you find that out you should have a good idea.

Definitely up the ram and you should be in good shape.

Best answers
Okay thx :) i think il lstart out with an extra 256 mb ddr ram and see where it takes me!

Best answers
I'd buy a 512 ... ram is cheap nowadays..spend the 60$ and save yourself time and money.

256 will be obsolete within the next year with the 64-bit processors out...

Best answers
upgrade your Grapic card, it aint needed but i would make the game alot nicer :)

owa

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Do this:

Get 512 mb of ram
then get a AMD 2500+ mobile and OC it to a 3200+

Or if you don't wanna OC get a AMD 64 2800+ they are running cheap nowadays, and are very much worth it.

But whatever you do, get more ram.

Best answers
you can overclock a 2500+ to a 3200+ ??
then how much can i overclock me 3000+ and how do you do that.

Best answers
actully to tell you the truth that computer will RUN HL2

but it wont be as pretty as mine

i'd actully do 2 things
1. get better ram, qaulity ram, i would spend the extra bucks on this type of ram
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=20-145-401&depa=0 or another equivilent of that Cosair XMS . . . man it makes your heart tingle

2. id get a new GFX card with 256megs 5700FX or 9800XT or above (this is for the better ease of the game on your system)

thats about all unless you have 1200 dollers for a nice custom computer ~_~

Best answers
newegg is retarded, and corsair XMS is a waste of money at the PC2700 level. the latency difference is negligible.

just get corsair value select, and I reccomend ordering from www.mwave.com, they have better prices on 98% of their stock, and they carry about the same amount as newegg.

and depending on what kind of motherboard you have, you might want to make sure you have 2 sticks of the same kind of ram, because if you are running nForce, that is the only way you will get max speed out of your memory.

The graphics card could stand to be upgraded a little, but it will still run HL2. The processor fan/heatsink can be upgraded for about $40, then you can get a good 300 mHz out of you processor safely by overclocking, maybe more if you are feeling confident.

btw, I mean 300 ACTUAL mHz, not like raising it from a 1800+ to a 2100+, but from a 1.66 to a 1.9, which is about a 2600 or 2700+

Best answers
Hmm it sounds interesting, however i dont think ill overclock just about now, as it would require my comps cooling system to be turned on max and hte noise is ****.. but thx for all the tips, ill especially look at those ram links, sound good :) !

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
This all reminds me. I got the Vid-Card and CPU for it, but I need to find 2 cheap Notebook 512s that match my i9100.

owa

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
GaZeeBo said:
you can overclock a 2500+ to a 3200+ ??
then how much can i overclock me 3000+ and how do you do that.
All CPU's OC differently. Plus it depends on which type of RAM and MOBO you got, I just know ALOT of people buy 2500+Mobile to OC them to a 3200+.

Alot of CPU's have a tendency to run hot, ecspecially depending on how high you OC it, so a 2500+ with some decent fans isn't gonna run hot, so you can pretty much OC it pretty high. A 3000+ would need some pretty good fans, and if you tried to OC it to say 3500+ you'd prolly risk blowing up your PC.

AMD 2500+ is locked now, so you need the more expensive (ooh baby a whole 10 dollars more) to get an AMD 2500+Mobile which is unlocked.

Also, I can't really explain well how to OC, but I'd recommend checking out some sites, do a search on google.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom