Half-Life now available on Linux

Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Linux stopped working with STEAM.

If they are bringing it back all we would need is the linux client file, since we already have a linux server file for the dedicated server hosts.

And since we are using Open GL and not direct X that is not a problem, since Open GL is cross platform. The only question is if we can compile a linux client file from the current SDK.

Force Pit Member
Best answers
Yeah, Valve is certainly pushing Steam onto Linux again, as the next Steam "console" will probably use Linux as the platform in order to circumvent the costs of using Windows..

Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
What? You missed something? http://store.steampowered.com/about/

STEAM SUPPORTS LINUX:)
Nope didnt miss anything. WON ran fine with Linux server and client side. When STEAM cam out, linux could only be used as a dedicated server platform. You could not play games on linux. Steam is only now returning to Linux since Gabe said "**** you Microsoft" after the windows 8 announcement.

We still dont know if the last Half Life 1 SDK is capable of actually producing Linux client files for the mods, or rather if the one ESF is using does. Namely Half Life SDK 2.3 (i believe was the last on update to it). If we cant create linux client files with it, then we cant get ESF to work with linux even if HL itself does.

Im waiting for Ze Germans to answer that one, since i myself dont know. All i know is that we are able to produce Linux server files for dedicated server hosting.

Best answers
I've been using Steam for Linux since the closed beta. Now that HL and CS made their way into Steam for Linux, I'd be more than happy to see ESF on Steam for Linux as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom