Girl buys water, spends night in jail

Resting in H.E.L.L
Banned
Best answers
http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/sideshow/uva-girl-water-beer-jail-181104442.html

Kind of reminds me of the time when the cops in L.A. (during the Dorner fiasco) started shooting at a truck with 2 asian women in it, just because for SOME reason they thought he was in there....

Anyways, these girls could be getting rich in a few months after this.

The thing that nobody knows (except for me because I listen to Mark Geragos) is that police forces will stand behind each other's stupid mistakes 100% of the time just because they've got some unwritten rule to always have each other's backs 100% of the time... that being said, they could have paid out the asian women a mere 200k and gotten away with it if they had admitted that those cops made a mistake. Well, they refused to admit that, and ended up losing millions to pay these women.

Reminds me of a Dave Chapelle skit: "When keeping it REAL goes WRONG!"

(unrelated P.S.: DAVE CHAPELLE IS BACK IN TO STANDUP BABY WOOO!)

(P.S.S. I'm a little bit tipsy, there was a party here and leftover bottles of wine.)

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
sounds like she's going to make some money soon... they jumped on her car and tried to smash the windows, it doesn't matter which branch of law enforcement you're from, that kind of behaviour is unacceptable.

Eon

TeeHee
Banned
Best answers
sounds like she's going to make some money soon... they jumped on her car and tried to smash the windows, it doesn't matter which branch of law enforcement you're from, that kind of behaviour is unacceptable.
I hope so, but American law enforcement gets away with the craziest shit. I really hope she lawyers up though as they do have a pretty good case for how they were handled. Even if she DID have alcohol, the Alcohol Beverage Commission cops were on them like SWATs which is bullshit.

Most ABC cops are shitstains anyway

also congrats on your first buzz BlueSaiyan

Resting in H.E.L.L
Banned
Best answers
Lol @ first buzz. Son, my first NAME is Buzz. My full name is Buzz Bud Lightyear.

I agree she's going to get a lot of money if she sues, but then you know how the cops make that money back? Handing out tickets... LOTS of tickets... you coasted 1mph past the speed limit and now they're pulling you over.

Also they hinted that we "didn't know all the details" so it'll be interesting to hear if anything else opens up about this case.

Only go forward sideways
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
🎈 Advanced
Best answers
What the flying **** were those cops on? Even if she did buy beer there is no legitimate reason to pull a gun on them. WHY THE **** does the Alcohol Beverage Commission cops even have guns? At best they should have tasers or sleeping darts lol. They even smashed up her car, do you how much a window replacement costs? Or a dent pulled out of your bonnet? It would make the price of beer look like the Chinese Great Wall being seen from the Moon.

Eon

TeeHee
Banned
Best answers
ABC Cops have more authority than city cops/state troopers, so they go a little crazy with their power. Funny thing is Park Rangers have shitloads of authority and I rarely see re-occurring headlines about them.

Resting in H.E.L.L
Banned
Best answers
ABC Cops have more authority than city cops/state troopers, so they go a little crazy with their power. Funny thing is Park Rangers have shitloads of authority and I rarely see re-occurring headlines about them.
It's true. I was taking my girlfriend to a beach on what unbeknownst to me was on federal land... So anyways this ranger dude pulls me over as we were leaving, because the tags on my car expired 2 months ago. I had a couple glasses of wine while we were at the beach so I was slightly stressed and hoped he wouldn't notice so I lit a cigarette... He comes up to the window and tells me to put the cigarette out so I say okay, and drop it down outside my window and then this ******* says "You know I can fine you for littering, right?" ...... I was thinking (man what a douche-bag, no wonder why everyone hates cops.)... And then he asks me "Were you smoking pot?" and I say "No" and then he asks "Do you have a medical marijuana card?" and I respond "I don't smoke that".... so then he says "Maybe it was the cigarette".... YEAH RIGHT! Who in their life has ever mistaken the smell of a cigarette for weed? This ******* was just trying to get me to confess to a crime that he had no evidence for... Well anyways he goes on to tell me that because I'm on federal land he has the authority to get my car towed with BIGGER fees and fines, because it's federal property bla bla... Guy was such a ****... Anyways he let me go, because I had current insurance... I let him pull out and drive ahead of me because I didn't want the **** to try and pull me over again. I'm just glad he didn't find the open/empty beer can in the back of the car haha :)

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
man you're so badass...

Josh, watch out for this guy man, he out-badasses both of us.

Eon

TeeHee
Banned
Best answers
It's true. I was taking my girlfriend to a beach on what unbeknownst to me was on federal land... So anyways this ranger dude pulls me over as we were leaving, because the tags on my car expired 2 months ago. I had a couple glasses of wine while we were at the beach so I was slightly stressed and hoped he wouldn't notice so I lit a cigarette... He comes up to the window and tells me to put the cigarette out so I say okay, and drop it down outside my window and then this ******* says "You know I can fine you for littering, right?" ...... I was thinking (man what a douche-bag, no wonder why everyone hates cops.)... And then he asks me "Were you smoking pot?" and I say "No" and then he asks "Do you have a medical marijuana card?" and I respond "I don't smoke that".... so then he says "Maybe it was the cigarette".... YEAH RIGHT! Who in their life has ever mistaken the smell of a cigarette for weed? This ******* was just trying to get me to confess to a crime that he had no evidence for... Well anyways he goes on to tell me that because I'm on federal land he has the authority to get my car towed with BIGGER fees and fines, because it's federal property bla bla... Guy was such a ****... Anyways he let me go, because I had current insurance... I let him pull out and drive ahead of me because I didn't want the **** to try and pull me over again. I'm just glad he didn't find the open/empty beer can in the back of the car haha :)
Any time a cop let's you go Is A Good Time.

I used to drive a Delta 88

I also had long hair at one time. I used to drive to work through a slightly upscale city. I would always get followed by cops. Multiple times I'd get pulled over for bullshit reasons. One time they pulled me over as I got into my work parking lot, pulled me out of the car and slammed me against it. They took a knife to my bench seat and pulled it ouf of the car to search it, then after everything was done they just left it on the ground outside. They said my inspection was registered to someone else, and they thought it was stolen (it wasn't registered to someone else). Funny thing is they had no way of finding out my inspection information until AFTER they pulled me over. So it was just a profile. I've been to court countless times fighting ticket charges. They would throw on minor traffic offenses if they could whenever they would pull me over and search my car in vain. Cops suck.

Last edited:
Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Heh compared to those stories, the cops over here are saints.

They do their jobs, but thats it. They dont really harras people.

✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
Well I suppose they did panic and could not think straight in that situation, but being frank here if an enforcer of the law pulls a gun at you, even if it's for bullshit reasons like "Holy Shit! She illegally purchased beer! That chick is dangerous, quick intimidate her with a gun, ask questions later!" you don't start your car and then run.You don't start the engine at all. We also don't know exactly if the jumping on the SUV, smashing window and gun pulling were as a result of the car engine starting, but instead of opening the windows, the optimal thing to do would have been to remain seated hands where they could see them and then step out of the car when asked to and it probably would have only ended with an apology from the undercover team.

This is one of those ridiculous situations where a person will most likely get in trouble and in this case it would be for legitimate reasons, because you can't say that you attempted to flee from the law enforcement out of panic, but even if it's legit it's still stupid, because you also can't expect everyone to do rational things when they are being surprised like that.
Plus that's an SUV, that thing could mow down fools like it's GTA. Don't start the freaking car!

Only go forward sideways
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
🎈 Advanced
Best answers
Well I suppose they did panic and could not think straight in that situation, but being frank here if an enforcer of the law pulls a gun at you, even if it's for bullshit reasons like "Holy Shit! She illegally purchased beer! That chick is dangerous, quick intimidate her with a gun, ask questions later!" you don't start your car and then run.You don't start the engine at all. We also don't know exactly if the jumping on the SUV, smashing window and gun pulling were as a result of the car engine starting, but instead of opening the windows, the optimal thing to do would have been to remain seated hands where they could see them and then step out of the car when asked to and it probably would have only ended with an apology from the undercover team.

This is one of those ridiculous situations where a person will most likely get in trouble and in this case it would be for legitimate reasons, because you can't say that you attempted to flee from the law enforcement out of panic, but even if it's legit it's still stupid, because you also can't expect everyone to do rational things when they are being surprised like that.
Plus that's an SUV, that thing could mow down fools like it's GTA. Don't start the freaking car!
She said they showed them "unidentifiable badges" and weren't even wearing any uniforms. Would you really just stand there and get robbed/assaulted in that situation if you didn't think they were cops? I'd start my engine and try and run them over too.

✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
She said they showed them "unidentifiable badges" and weren't even wearing any uniforms. Would you really just stand there and get robbed/assaulted in that situation if you didn't think they were cops? I'd start my engine and try and run them over too.
Wow then for their sake I sincerely hope you never get attacked by terrorists mister badar**. Oh and have fun on your death sentence, whether sentenced by a judge or by an officers pistol, because if I'm not mistaken, murdering cops means death penalty for you in the US. Life sentence at least. There's a good way to end your shopping trip. Ain't it Rambo?

And don't even give me that horse s*** about "I would start my engine and mow them down", because this isn't GTA or some movie. If a group of people come at you telling you to stop and showing badges, you stop, you freeze in place you don't start your car engine. That is a fact and I'm not exactly sure how that rule sounds exactly but I can bet you it's written in the code. If a bunch of terrorists, or armed robbers come at you with guns you don't try to run them over you stop, because they won't fire warning shots and chances are higher that you will end up shot even in the car before you manage to run down anybody..

Seriously? No uniforms. Why? Undercover. Undercover means no uni's. Showing unidentifiable badges. Yes I'm sure she was an expert in the exact way that a badge is supposed to look like and when she saw those, holy shit she immediately recognized they where some kind of phonies and she had to run for her life. Well I repeat she wouldn't have had to run if she could think rationally in that situation and not start the engine. I'm pretty sure that if that wouldn't have happened they would have searched her found the water on her and not beer and then spend the rest of the day apologizing and she may have been in the right to sew if some misconduct or abuse of power was performed.

Fact remains fact. She started the engine, which could have meant a threat to both flee and injure, cripple or kill somebody. Cops tried to stop her from doing something by using force and then she fled them. It is most certain that she will get in trouble for this. Unfair? Because it was a split second decision that she lost control over? Maybe. But do facts remain facts. Yep. Cruel world we live in, but I really hope this does turn out alright for them somehow.

Super elite
✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
I think I find it stupid when she spends a night time in prison by drinking water because she is thirsty.

Last edited:
Red Saiyan Mod
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
🌟 Senior Member
Best answers
The whole story is ridiculous, but here's what I dont get. Since when is buying a 12 pack of beer such a horrendous crime?
Albeit she was only 20 but still. Jumping up on her hood, trying to break her windows? And they wonder why she panicked and fled.
She's gonna have a nice fat settlement coming her way. Should pay for her college and then some.

✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
The whole story is ridiculous, but here's what I dont get. Since when is buying a 12 pack of beer such a horrendous crime?
Albeit she was only 20 but still. Jumping up on her hood, trying to break her windows? And they wonder why she panicked and fled.
She's gonna have a nice fat settlement coming her way. Should pay for her college and then some.
As I said we don't know if the jumping, breaking and gun pulling happened after she started the car. If it did then it is somewhat legit.

Only go forward sideways
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
🎈 Advanced
Best answers
As I said we don't know if the jumping, breaking and gun pulling happened after she started the car. If it did then it is somewhat legit.
Not sure what kind of police training those guys undergo, but if someone started the car and I was trying to stop them, last thing I'd do is jump on their hood -_-. Sounds like the cops were in fact in close proximity to the car so why not just shoot the damn tires.

PS: Me saying "I'd try to run them over" only applies if someone would be in front of my car because I'd try to drive forward and run away, not purposely turn around and run everyone over lol. Do you know how many GTAs cases have ever happened when a guy jumps in front of a car just for the person to stop and then be forced out and have their car stolen?

✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
Not sure what kind of police training those guys undergo, but if someone started the car and I was trying to stop them, last thing I'd do is jump on their hood -_-. Sounds like the cops were in fact in close proximity to the car so why not just shoot the damn tires.

PS: Me saying "I'd try to run them over" only applies if someone would be in front of my car because I'd try to drive forward and run away, not purposely turn around and run everyone over lol. Do you know how many GTAs cases have ever happened when a guy jumps in front of a car just for the person to stop and then be forced out and have their car stolen?
To answer your question on why he jumped on the hood I'm only going to say this: I'm glad you'd rather run somebody over rather than have your car stolen. Hopefully for you that somebody better not turn up to be a cop. Because... well. Look up.

Eon

TeeHee
Banned
Best answers
Officers aren't supposed to go all SWATon suspects unless they are armed and dangerous. All they had to do was identify themselves as alcohol beverage commission officers and then question/apprehend the suspect in question. They can still be all aggressive if they need to be. "Hey! Stop! ABC!" *show badge* it's not that hard. There was no reason for the amount of force used and was a failure on the officer/whoever trained the officers for not properly identifying themselves in a non-violent manner.

✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
Again. They had to do what they had to do if they did it after she started the car. Put yourself in their position for a moment:

They approach the target. They show the badges to identify themselves as cops. Target starts the car. What do they make of that? Two things possible that are considered one version can be lethal to anyone in the area:
1. Target starts the car to flee.
2. Target attempts to run somebody over and then flee.
Why not a third thing? It is standard procedure that when cops approach someones car for that someone to remain hands on wheel at all times. If she had to open the window, I dunno what car she was driving but isn't it possible to open windows without starting the engine by just inserting the keys in the contact? Any other action can be considered potentially dangerous.
How do you stop this from happening? Pull you gun out to intimidate the driver shoot him/her if necessary, (though not optimal) jump on the hood as if to say: "You aren't a killer stop this vehicle right now!" Smash the window to open the door and remove the driver from the steering wheel.

If that is exactly the thing that happened then the cops were in the right to proceed as they did. What is stupid are only two things: Undercover cops for catching someone illegally buying beer -> girl panicking when they approached and starting the vehicle (that's the stupid things) -> to cops going all swat on them which in this case was legit.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom