Gay Spiderman?

Would you be okay with Gay Spiderman?

• Yes, because of reasons.

Votes: 7 30.4%
  • No.

Votes: 15 65.2%
  • I am an undecided sheep incapable of forming an idea or thought on my own.

Votes: 1 4.3%

• Total voters

JTM

Formerly Fatality
Best answers
IGN said:
Spider-Man's Andrew Garfield Wants Mary Jane to Be Male
Peter Parker actor asks: "Why can't he be gay?"

There's been a lot of buzz going around lately about the role of Mary Jane Watson in the Amazing Spider-Man sequels. But Andrew Garfield recently pitched his own unique idea for the character: What if MJ was a guy?

While speaking with EW.com, the actor said he recently had a conversation with producer Matt Tolmach about Mary Jane and what he'd like to see. "I was kind of joking, but kind of not joking about MJ," Garfield said. "And I was like, 'What if MJ is a dude?' Why can't we discover that Peter is exploring his sexuality? It's hardly even groundbreaking! So why can't he be gay? Why can't he be into boys?"

Garfield even knows who he'd want to play the part. "I've been obsessed with Michael B. Jordan since The Wire. He's so charismatic and talented. It'd be even better -- we'd have interracial bisexuality!"

Later, EW mentioned Garfield's idea to director Marc Webb, who said, "Michael B. Jordan, I know." When asked if he'd already heard the pitch, Webb replied, "Uh, are you kidding?"

So, this is clearly a joke but it did give rise to some interesting thoughts. At least, for me. What do you think if this pitch was made into a reality?

I'll make the first move here by responding to my question. While I support Marvel in introducing new characters being whatever they be (gay, straight, black, green, woman), I give them no respect in changing an already produced and well-known character into a minority in an attempt to gain new audiences. In fact, such a move would probably be more harmful than good. I believe people in their majority would be outraged by making a beloved character a homosexual and by dropping another established one, Mary Jane, completely. A deal like that would most likely cause them to lose a substantial bit of money as opposed to garnering more from a new audience.

Last edited:
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
A a nerdy single gay guy shooting sticky a white liquid from the palm of his hands...

Thank you Marvel, now everyone one these boards can realistically be Spiderman!

Force Pit Member
Best answers
Worst idea ever, even as a joke! I liked Andrew up until this moment. He was perfect as Spider-Man, but I don't like him being frivolous when it comes to my childhood hero.

Force Pit Member
Best answers
My bad if I don't want one of my childhood superheroes to be gay. Quite frankly, a lot of people will call me on that, but it's not because I'm insensitive - I have a sister who's gay. What's up with people these days thinking that every fictional character needs to be gay?

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
This is slightly dumber than arbitrarily deciding Johnny Storm is black, and adopted.

Super elite
✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
I find this topic EXTREMELY offensive to Stan lee's first character to insult on his creation and his fan films.

Last edited:

JTM

Formerly Fatality
Best answers
It's possible he's implying he doesn't like gays, Eon.

This is slightly dumber than arbitrarily deciding Johnny Storm is black, and adopted.
I did see that. I agree with you. It's odd to see how this results from a business decision, but if there's money to be made it's going to be made.

✔️ HL Verified
Discord Member
Best answers
This reminds me of the prospect of making the 12th Doctor female.

Death from Above
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
In theory it's fine w/e

But in practice, no. Spiderman as an established character is a heterosexual male. Turning him gay changes the character, deletes Mary Jane for a Billy Joe and alters the story.

Why don't they make DareDevil accidentally gay or something. Or even better make a new hero, Rainbow Lord

Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I dunno. With the suits these guys are wearing, gay may not be that hard to imagine.

In any casei dont see an "i dont really care" option in the poll so im holding on to my vote.

Red Saiyan Mod
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
🌟 Senior Member
Best answers
Spiderman is a legend, to change him in such a way would only destroy everything we've known to love about him.
I mean the guy has been through hell and back for the women in his life. Did you know Mary Jane wasn't his first girlfriend?
Yea, long before MJ hit the scene, Peter Parker was obsessed with Gwen. But anyone who's seen "The Amazing Spiderman" movie would know this.
On a side note I just want to say that movie was awful. I nothing against gay people, but I do not approve of changing a well established character like this for any reason.

Eon

TeeHee
Banned
Best answers
I honestly don't see how it would change much at all, I just don't see a reason to make a change so randomly unless there was a lot of underlying themes throughout Spidey's run, which we haven't seen.

Although the Daredevil movie was awful, I thought they did an awesome job with Michael Clark Duncan as Kingpin. Even though the character originally wasn't black, I thought he was a great choice and I liked that spin on him.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I don't see the problem. They already made 3 of these anyway.

Tobey+Maguire+Stupid+Face.jpg

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Spiderman is a legend, to change him in such a way would only destroy everything we've known to love about him.
I mean the guy has been through hell and back for the women in his life. Did you know Mary Jane wasn't his first girlfriend?
Yea, long before MJ hit the scene, Peter Parker was obsessed with Gwen. But anyone who's seen "The Amazing Spiderman" movie would know this.
On a side note I just want to say that movie was awful. I nothing against gay people, but I do not approve of changing a well established character like this for any reason.
Tbh, I quite liked it. I -hated- Toby Macguire as Spider-man. I think Garfield does a good job, and Emma Stone is a good actress but they could've picked a better villian to start the reboot off with. Though the actor that played Lizardman is a favorite from my youth. I remember him in Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle 2.

I don't see a problem with the suggestion, but Peter Parker has already been way too well established as hetero-sexual. I don't want the same thing being done to him as was done to Dumbledore. His creator saying he's gay simply for more recognition.

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Making Parker gay would mean you'd have to change Gwen Stacy, his first love and the death of whom changed his perspective on crime fighting forever, Mary Jane, the woman to whom he devoted his life, and his encounters with Black Cat, with whom there was always sexual chemistry, which both exploited regularly. His relationships and interactions with women forged him into the character he is today, and you'd have to change so much of his back story that he wouldn't even really be Spiderman at that point.

✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
I am not along the people that would consider gay Spider-man being a good idea. Plenty of reasons for that.

But there is a question that keeps coming into my mind without me even wanting to:

Is Spider-man Spider-man because of Mary Jane, Gwen Stacy, Felicia Hardy/Black Cat and whatever other female love interests that he is known to have had or is Spider-man Spider-man because he's Spider-man?

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Are you who you are because you're you or are you the product of your experiences?

sub

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Making Parker gay would mean you'd have to change Gwen Stacy, his first love and the death of whom changed his perspective on crime fighting forever, Mary Jane, the woman to whom he devoted his life, and his encounters with Black Cat, with whom there was always sexual chemistry, which both exploited regularly. His relationships and interactions with women forged him into the character he is today, and you'd have to change so much of his back story that he wouldn't even really be Spiderman at that point.
I think this entire thing is rather lame, but they could get around that by making Spiderman bi instead of gay. Let him keep those major past experiences that defined who he is, just add some minor gay experience in his past or have him start experimenting or whatever.

Did I mention that this entire thing is lame? It's like the ultimate exercise in being politically correct / going way too far to show that you're not a bigot. Why not make Spiderman a black jewish gay transgendered atheist (yes, jewish and atheist) while you're at it?

Last edited:
Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Babysteps, hyb. We're getting there.

Also, Peter was in college when he started banging all these chicks. You'd think he'd have figured out, "Hey, I like everything" before then.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom