Game Crashing.

Best answers
Are you using Steam?
Yes
Are you using version 1.2.3 of ESF?
Yes
Are you trying to run any ESF add-ons?
No
What game are you trying to install ESF into?
ESF is installed and running fine for the most part.
Are you behind a router or firewall?
Yes but port 27015(default port for servers is forwarded to my pc.)
Are all your drivers updated?
Yes
What in-game video mode are you using?
OpenGL 1280x1024
If you have an error message, what is the exact error message?
Sorry this doesn't apply to me.

Ok heres basically the run down. My friends and I play this game occasionally in our random moments of boredom and random acts of gaming. So with that being said we had a spur of the moment since last time we played and had this problem then. I'm running as a server (listen server cause i don't have a dedicated box for it) and they connect in. They are able to get in fine and we're able to play for a limited amount of time. So far its been completely random but the game will just completely lock up on us and stop running. No crashing to desktop, no error message. The screen just sits there playing the last sound played over and over and over. Been trying to figure out whats causing this and a possible fix. I looked over the stickied topics to see if this problem was listed in there, which to my knowledge it was not visible. I'm running Windows XP Pro SP2 fully updated. Current video drivers are 84.21 newest for Nvidia based chips at this current time less i'm a day or 2 behind. USB mounted headset so no drivers there, HL1 and all steam updates are installed and currently operational. Everytime its crashed its normally in a lock with the laser beam thingies not sure of the original names so bear with me, or as the last one happened us 3 vs 3 bots had a spirit bomb and a few others charging or firing across the map.

Current System Specs:
Amd Athlon 2600+ 1.9ghz oc'd to 2.3ghz running stable temperatures.
Nvidia GeForce 7800gs 8x agp 256mb
Plantronics DSP-500 usb digital proccessing headset.
2x 17 inch CRT Dual view performance mode setup.
40gb Maxtor 7200 rpm ata hard drive(OS Drive)
250gb Western Digital 7200 rpm ata hard drive(Game installs and backups drive)
DirectX 9.0C with the december update I believe it was.

On a side note I can run CS 1.6 and CS : S for over 3 hours straight with no crashes or lockups and I can run World of Warcraft for 7-8 hours with no lockups so only persistant to this mod.
All game I run are in OpenGL on 1280x1024 resolution in 32 bit.

Thanks for any help in advance hope i posted everything you needed to know.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Bots have been known to cause crashes when hit by beams, does it happen as often when it's only you and your friends?

Best answers
Actually yes. First night we played it was without bots. 2v1 me playing the guinea pig and it crashed within the first 5-10 minutes of play. With the bots we were going probably and hour or so I would guess.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Sorry to say, but there are some random crashes in the game. It's unlikely we'll be able to help you, which is a shame because for someone who put so much information into their first post (that never happens), I'd really like to solve your problem.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
akatagyourit said:
Are you using Steam?
Yes
Are you using version 1.2.3 of ESF?
Yes
Are you trying to run any ESF add-ons?
No
What game are you trying to install ESF into?
ESF is installed and running fine for the most part.
Are you behind a router or firewall?
Yes but port 27015(default port for servers is forwarded to my pc.)
Are all your drivers updated?
Yes
What in-game video mode are you using?
OpenGL 1280x1024
If you have an error message, what is the exact error message?
Sorry this doesn't apply to me.

Ok heres basically the run down. My friends and I play this game occasionally in our random moments of boredom and random acts of gaming. So with that being said we had a spur of the moment since last time we played and had this problem then. I'm running as a server (listen server cause i don't have a dedicated box for it) and they connect in. They are able to get in fine and we're able to play for a limited amount of time. So far its been completely random but the game will just completely lock up on us and stop running. No crashing to desktop, no error message. The screen just sits there playing the last sound played over and over and over. Been trying to figure out whats causing this and a possible fix. I looked over the stickied topics to see if this problem was listed in there, which to my knowledge it was not visible. I'm running Windows XP Pro SP2 fully updated. Current video drivers are 84.21 newest for Nvidia based chips at this current time less i'm a day or 2 behind. USB mounted headset so no drivers there, HL1 and all steam updates are installed and currently operational. Everytime its crashed its normally in a lock with the laser beam thingies not sure of the original names so bear with me, or as the last one happened us 3 vs 3 bots had a spirit bomb and a few others charging or firing across the map.

Current System Specs:
Amd Athlon 2600+ 1.9ghz oc'd to 2.3ghz running stable temperatures.
Nvidia GeForce 7800gs 8x agp 256mb
Plantronics DSP-500 usb digital proccessing headset.
2x 17 inch CRT Dual view performance mode setup.
40gb Maxtor 7200 rpm ata hard drive(OS Drive)
250gb Western Digital 7200 rpm ata hard drive(Game installs and backups drive)
DirectX 9.0C with the december update I believe it was.

On a side note I can run CS 1.6 and CS : S for over 3 hours straight with no crashes or lockups and I can run World of Warcraft for 7-8 hours with no lockups so only persistant to this mod.
All game I run are in OpenGL on 1280x1024 resolution in 32 bit.

Thanks for any help in advance hope i posted everything you needed to know.

The problem is, is that you're running the server >.o

Join a server that's actually paid for like the Zr clan server or the US clan server. Servers that people pay for usually crash less. Granted they do crash every so often, the crashes are short, and you can easily rejoin the server.

Best answers
Pain said:
Sorry to say, but there are some random crashes in the game. It's unlikely we'll be able to help you, which is a shame because for someone who put so much information into their first post (that never happens), I'd really like to solve your problem.
Heh no worries man. I did search the forums first and didn't see anyone who had this problem so i read the faqs to see if I could find anything in there then read the faq on posting. I know its rather hard to run a mod and its community, so figured I should do what I can to make it easier on you all since you get a good few posts a day and this isn't exactly a real time job just something you do in free time. Oh well I'll tweak around on my pc see if I can figure out a way to fix it. We did have a 2 hour game the other night going before I had to leave. Server did crash prior to that though. I'm starting to think it might be the bot pathing and terrain causing these problems. Hit a few areas on some maps where the ground is flat but you hit an invisible wall and such so.

In reply to Fire Phoenix. Actually I used to be able to host and play on a prior version to this and it never crashed had probably 10 of my friends and 10 bots just tooling around and never had it crash on our 5 hour smashing spree. When I did that though i think I had the dedicated server window in the background and was playing like a normal client connecting to the server so I may try that again and see if I get a random crash again.

Best answers
hey i have the same problem as you but my comp will not support OpenGl but it does crash with up to date video card GeForce MX 420 so ur not the only one lol

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Nice specs there :). I think the problem though is more likely related to your overclock, try decreasing it slightly and see if it makes any difference. If you desire to keep the clock speed you have now, rasie the core voltage a little but not to high (I assume you have some overclocking knowledge to know when is to high etc). I have a simlar setup to you, a 2400+ throughbred clocked at 2.3ghz, however I keep it a 2.2ghz currently untill I replace my bios battery since there was a nasty blackout here that seemed to cause my pc to act a little haywire at this speed (I ripped out a bios battery from a pc I was repairing for my aunty to see if this problem held up, and it seems to function properly at 2.3ghz with a perfectly working battery, however I put it back in my auntie's pc purely because it's hers, and i'll probably go buy a new one tomorrow anyway, problem with the other battery being that when browsing files on my hdd it will sometimes crash and it doesn't do it with the battery from my auntie's pc), I'm pretty sure though you have a Barton core 2600+ though.

Usually esf is stable for me at these speeds, my core voltage for my processor is set at 1.7, with multipler at 11.5x200 (11x200 as of currently). When I was still suing an nvidia card (my brother's FX5200), I noticed that with some of the later Nvidia drivers caused some games to show texture corruption. I saw this mainly happening in hl2 and CS Source. Also, last night when my mate was over and had reformatted we had notice problems with the latest drivers he had downloaded for his graphics card (he has a 512mb 6800GS), he noticed some werid blue squares in some games when in their ingame menu.

Super/Mega/Ultimate bots are usually known to crash the game with their laser that drains hp/ki, which can be turned off using the Super bot editor in the esf_bot folder in the esf dir.

That's all I can think of for now, other then that have you tried reinstalling Steam/half-life/esf?.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom