Funny noise....

Best answers
Every time that I start my pc I get a odd noise that usally gos away within 2 minutes. Now the noise is alittle diffrent and its not going away. I think its the cpu fan. Wich if it is would it be bad if I ignored it? Has anyone ells have this happen?

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
It could be your hdd or one of your cd drives. If you suspect that it is your cpu fan then clean your cpu fan & case fans & case out for dust.

Best answers
;/ Man I really don't wanna clean that thing out. Every time I open my pc, it makes me want to take everything apart and clean them. I litterly take hours making sure everything is working fine. That why I'm asking if I can just ignore it. I've built two computers so far. Of cource the real big problem with cleaning it out is the wires. If they aren't in the right place when I close the case they will clip the case fan.

So the real question is, if I ignore it will my comp go *blop*

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
It could. Just get a cloth or some toilet paper and clean out your casse fans. That's how I clean out my case & my area can get dusty at times.

Lost in space
Banned
Best answers
Whenever I turn my comp on, my video card fan makes this annoying noise where it sounds like its spinning at 20,000 rpm. I actually have to reach into the case and tap it a few times to get it to stop lol. Just another reason why I leave my computer on for weeks at a time. It's probably a bearing in the fan that is loose or something.

In any case, your problem sounds similar, and you probably shouldn't ignore it

Best answers
It could be everything or could be nothing, I'm no hardware pro, but if you have got really old hardware(preticulary hard disks) then BACKUP, or you might have a fried HDD and your data will go poof.

Best answers
My system is about 2 years old. Update: I've dusted out my system including the fan, when I started it up one of the fans got really loud and then quited down. I checked the system bios for system health and got this: cpu fan speed : 0 rpm, nb fan speed 6020 rpm, system fan speed 3000. I'm no expert, but I think 0 rpm would mean my cpu would fry in seconds. yet its been running fine besides the low noise. Any ideas?

Best answers
Ok so lets say the cpu fan is gonna burn out. How can I tell. Will it start a fire? How hard is it to replace the fan? I've never replaced one. Just installed one. I guess you gotta scrape that goo off the cpu and put new stuff on huh?

UPDATE: I opend up the case and used a can of air and saw the problem I believe. It seems abunch of dust collected onto the MB fan and the cpu fan. One good spray seemed to fix it, but I can faintly detect that noise I heard now. In any case I believe its the MB fan still. No clue if you really need a MB fan.

★ Black Lounger ★
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Kurt said:
Whenever I turn my comp on, my video card fan makes this annoying noise where it sounds like its spinning at 20,000 rpm. I actually have to reach into the case and tap it a few times to get it to stop lol. Just another reason why I leave my computer on for weeks at a time. It's probably a bearing in the fan that is loose or something.

In any case, your problem sounds similar, and you probably shouldn't ignore it

my video card fan did the same thing,

when i took it to have it repaired, the guy initially thought it was the cpu fan so he jabbed a screwdriver in it to stop the fan to see if the noise stopped (thats how we discovered that it was the card's fan and not the cpu fan)

he broke 2 fan blades off the fan and gave me a free replacement and a 512 mb of ram for his screwup. It was a good day =P. i only had to pay the 8 bucks for the replacement video card fan

anywhoo, this is a method taught to me by the same computer guy who broke AND fixed my pc in the same day,

get some kinda tube or something. he suggested an old waterhose, cut about a 1 1/2 ft length from it and put one end up to your ear, and just aim the other end around at the areas inside your computer where you think the noise is coming from.

the end of the tube in the pc acts kinda like a microphone, it should tell you where specifically the noise is coming from. once you know for sure you'll know which area to clean/replace. without needlessly risking the rest of your computer in the process.

please note that i havent actualy tried this, so dont blame me if you ruin a perfectly good waterhose =P

Best answers
MONXver2.0 said:
UPDATE: I opend up the case and used a can of air and saw the problem I believe. It seems abunch of dust collected onto the MB fan and the cpu fan. One good spray seemed to fix it, but I can faintly detect that noise I heard now. In any case I believe its the MB fan still. No clue if you really need a MB fan.
Yeah, you need a Mobo fan. The heatsink gets hot enough for it to overheat, so that fan is needed to cool it off. It pretty much acts like a processor HSF.

Its good that you figured out whats going on with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom