Forum un-written rule + Old Posts...

Best answers
Is it possible for the forum admin to prune, parse ALL old forum posts because there seems to be some hidden un-written rule going around. I dont see the point of them being there if no one can reply. Also some posts are pretty interesting and need resurecting!

If not u might as well order ALL your mods to close them all or delete them.

i mean u can parse a whole forum and delete or archive old posts. whats the point in having a function when u cant use it and then ***** about people posting to them?

iTs a bit like having a piece of cake infront of you which are not allowed to eat!

Fumoffu!
Retired Forum Staff
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
OK the reason why that won't happen is the following:

Get this scenario..... esf is a growing community.... every day, at least one more person joins esf. If every new person comes to the forum and asks the same question hundreds have asked before or addresses an issue already debated over long before, it becomes a pain answering them all over again. And having those older threads makes it easier for newer users to skim through them and use the SEARCH option rather than annoying mods with the same old questions. If you parsed them all into one huge archived thread, that would make searching into hell. And deleting them makes no sense as most of the old threads are pretty useful.

Best answers
ok good point let me go find a thread which i need help on and resurect it for help because i dont understand! ...

Retired Forum Staff
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
There is just no need to ressurect old topics. Why do you go searching back a month to reply to topics that everyone else has forgotten.

It is an old topic. If you see a topic and the last post is over a month old. Leave it alone. Because the topic is dead and no one wants it brought back.

Best answers
i dont search back, i view all the posts and threads on my screen. Ur screen is probably locked to say todays posts or something

Retired Forum Staff
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
No, I can see all posts. New and old. But if I do open an older thread I make sure the last post wasn't a month ago. Because whatever conversation they were having in that thread is now dead and gone.

And as groovy said, old threads can be used as reference material. So that people can effectively use the search button.

Best answers
hwat happens if people have problems with whatever hlpe they offered?

Best answers
Now, we get gripped out for posting something that has already been posted, but if we post on a topic that is older but already posted we get gripped at. So if we have a comment on a topic, that was forgotten, but is still an issue, we can't post on it period? thats kinda silly don't you think?

Retired Forum Staff
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Ok. I will say, the only way I would allow a resurrected thread to stay open is if the person posting asks a relevent question, furthering the discussion.

Usually what I find is a thread being brought back and the person posting is just adding something meaningless.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
there are 2 reasons old posts are not deleted

1) old posts are there to show old ideas that have already been suggested or discussed

because of the old posts we can just refer people to old topics instead of having them make brand new topics that end the exact same way as before

2) the forums automaticly do prun old posts how ever if the prunning happens to much then important posts can be lost which just ends up in people asking more questions thus making more posts and not saying anything new

cause i dont know about u but hearing the same arguments over and over isnt very appealing to read

so there u have it

its much less of a bother to leave some old posts open and let the auto prun take care of the rest than to actualy go back by hand and delete them or bumb up the auto prun time

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom