sub

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I'm going out on a limb here, but i'm going to guess magic

MC

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
This is what I found on Wikipedia:

Astronomers using infrared imaging have shown that Saturn has a warm polar vortex, and is the only such planet known in the solar system.

A persisting hexagonal wave pattern around the north polar vortex in the atmosphere at about 78?N was first noted in the Voyager images. Unlike the north pole, HST imaging of the south polar region indicates the presence of a jet stream, but no strong polar vortex nor any hexagonal standing wave. However, NASA reported in November 2006 that the Cassini spacecraft observed a 'hurricane-like' storm locked to the south pole that had a clearly defined eyewall. This observation is particularly notable because eyewall clouds have not been seen on any planet other than Earth (including a failure to observe an eyewall in the Great Red Spot of Jupiter by the Galileo spacecraft).

The straight sides of the northern polar hexagon are each about 13,800 kilometers long. The entire structure rotates with a period of 10h 39 m 24s, the same period as that of the planet's radio emissions, which is assumed to be equal to the period of rotation of Saturn's interior. The hexagonal feature does not shift in longitude like the other clouds in the visible atmosphere.

The pattern's origin is a matter of much speculation. Most astronomers seem to favor some sort of standing-wave pattern in the atmosphere; but the hexagon might be a novel sort of aurora. More extreme speculation has Saturn's radio emissions emanating from the hexagon (something we can see and which has the right rotation period) rather than from the planet's interior (something we cannot see). Polygon shapes have been replicated in spinning buckets of fluid in a laboratory.
In March of 2007, the discovery was announced that the rotation of the radio emissions did not actually trace the rotation of the planet, but rather is produced by convection of the plasma disc, independent of rotation. It was reported that the variance in measured rotation periods may actually be caused by geyser activity on Saturn's moon Enceladus. The water vapor emitted into Saturn's orbit by this activity becomes charged and "weighs down" Saturn's magnetic field, slowing its rotation slightly relative to the rotation of the planet itself. If true, this means that there is no currently known method of determining the actual rotation rate of Saturn's core.
Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saturn

I found a .gif version of the video:

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Good to see some good hard science these days. This is very fascinating.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
How interesting...and does it make it any more creepy that Saturn is the SIXTH planet from the Sun? I'm going to guess it's something to do with Saturn's magnetic field and it's low density (less than water actually), but otherwise I'm fairly boggled.

Ah...how is it possible to NOT like astronomy? Not "astrology" mind you, that bull**** is getting old...

Best answers
woah.. 4 earths in this one hurricane thingy? or is it totaly different then a hurricane*hexagon*. this space stuff is so amazing lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom