Flying upside down

Best answers
Being able to turn all the way, even if that puts you in an upside down position... At least thats what i think he means..

Couldn't agree more..
Not even the flying upside down part is important to me, but it really pisses me of that when someone flies over or passes me from below, i can't follow them all the way cuz i can only point down 180 degrees..

I think the extreme mobility feeling is part of the dbz experience, and this really hinders that..

✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
heres your joy ride cl_picthup 999 cl_pitchdown 999 type it in and fly ur head off

Moving with Sonic Speed
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
This isn't a flight simulator people, it isn't designed to let you make loops or cruise upside down because they almost never did that on the show, and getting hit with melee or a beam would knock you out of it anyway. Ending up upside-down in the middle of a fight because you were trying to find somebody could be seriously distracting and disorienting too. Let's keep things up-right for now.

Best answers
it's just for fun, for ppl who are very bored and want to fly freestyle, like you would do if you could REALY fly

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Just thought I'd add that the default values for cl_pitchup and cl_pitchdown are both 89, incase you want to change it back. ;)

Best answers
Sentient said:
Not even the flying upside down part is important to me, but it really pisses me of that when someone flies over or passes me from below, i can't follow them all the way cuz i can only point down 180 degrees..
Like i said, perhaps ending up side down can be distracting for some people, but not being able to aim down far enough for someone to fly past you from underneath can be seriously irritating.. ;/
Perhaps it would be an option to add a control (push and hold a button) with wich you can enable total free looking/moving, even if it makes you end up upside down.. If you let go of the button it would return you to upright postion after 2 secs or something...
Or make it possible to aim lets say a lil' further than in a straight line under you..

I have to add to that that i'd rather see the team work on other, more important things right now, but i think it's a good idea for the future.. :laff:

Moving with Sonic Speed
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I'm fairly certain that the engine is incapable of handling that. What you are asking is for the game to allow you to look at something upside-down, because going straight up over your head and on further would make you in look at stuff upside down (obviously). You can manually tell the camera to go upside down, or program it to go upside down if you press a button or trigger an action, but just looking as high as you can couldn't trigger that kind of thing, and even if it did, how would you reset it? You say press a button to let you go upside down, but that wouldn't stop your viewpoint from ending after looking straight up.

It's an engine thing if anything.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
It's a awsome idea and should be used!
LIke in BFP its great to fly upside down!

But THAT would mayby interfeer with advanced melee.

Best answers
the idea came to me whilst i was watching Kid Buu fight SS3 Goku and i was thinking damn that would be cool.

Distrcting no way, if it distracted you why the hell would ya do it?

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Sonic Boyster said:
This isn't a flight simulator people, it isn't designed to let you make loops or cruise upside down because they almost never did that on the show, and getting hit with melee or a beam would knock you out of it anyway. Ending up upside-down in the middle of a fight because you were trying to find somebody could be seriously distracting and disorienting too. Let's keep things up-right for now.
They have flown upside down ALOT dude, Gokou/Gohan/Piccolo/Tien/Cell/Buu
have all done it, anyway I suggested this a LONG time ago. But I also suggested
it w/ a "Critical Hit"...

When the enemy is on the ground you can come at him and knee him in the
stomache or the face/leg area. Like when the Cell Jr. Knee's krillin on the back...
I loved seeing that useless bald midget get hurt.

Best answers
flying upside down :no: .........what´s the use? It would just be a waste of time for the coders

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Whats so hard about flipping a model over?
You can do it w/ the cl_pitch cmd, only it looks kinda lame
sometimes. basically it'd just be flying down with your player
model looking another way, I dont see any use for reanimations or anything.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
All of you disagreeing with this idea, shutup, it would be an important feature, it would change the way the game is played and up it up to another level at the same time.

Like Sentient said, you cant aim up or down far enough to hit someone, so they go around the back of you and your hit instead, with this you would be able to flip upside down and hit them, canceling their suprisee attack.

This would make melee more interesting, imagine being able to thorw someone while being upside down and into the ground at a backwards angle, they did that so many times in DBZ its not funny.

No engine was built to support model flipping, but they did it in BFP, with some coding it can happen in ESF. Doesn't mean it has to be in 1.2, or 1.3, but it can eventually come in.

I bet most of you are saying no because it would delay 1.2, would you agree if it goes in 1.3?

Best answers
I know what he whants! He whants something like in BFP (bid for power), look:
Go here: www.brit-brit.go.ro/bfp.jpg

Best answers
Sonic Boyster said:
I'm fairly certain that the engine is incapable of handling that. What you are asking is for the game to allow you to look at something upside-down, because going straight up over your head and on further would make you in look at stuff upside down (obviously). You can manually tell the camera to go upside down, or program it to go upside down if you press a button or trigger an action, but just looking as high as you can couldn't trigger that kind of thing, and even if it did, how would you reset it? You say press a button to let you go upside down, but that wouldn't stop your viewpoint from ending after looking straight up.

It's an engine thing if anything.
Actually, being able to go upside down has been done on the HL engine already (http://www.bits.bris.ac.uk/randomnine/ - The site seems to be updated and doesn't have the old information anymore, but I'm working on finding better proof :S ) I "think" it was called objload closest thing I see on the site to it. What I remember is that it's a spaceship game where you (out of memory) can fly around a big sphere as a planet and not worry about having the default view lock hinder you going around it.

Moving with Sonic Speed
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Sierra Sonic said:
All of you disagreeing with this idea, shutup, it would be an important feature, it would change the way the game is played and up it up to another level at the same time.

Like Sentient said, you cant aim up or down far enough to hit someone, so they go around the back of you and your hit instead with this you would be able to flip upside down and hit them, canceling their suprisee attack.

This would make melee more interesting, imagine being able to thorw someone while being upside down and into the ground at a backwards angle, they did that so many times in DBZ its not funny.

No engine was built to support model flipping, but they did it in BFP, with some coding it can happen in ESF. Doesn't mean it has to be in 1.2, or 1.3, but it can eventually come in.

I bet most of you are saying no because it would delay 1.2, would you agree if it goes in 1.3?

1.) Watch your attitude. Everybody is entitled to their opinion, and if you don't like it, leave.

2.) Explain why this would be an important addition to the game instead of just stating that it is.

3.) There is a strategy to going over or under someone right now. If your opponent doesn't know how to Aim at you when you pass over his head you can use it to your advantage. If he doesn't, why doesn't he just teleport up or down a couple of times and then swoop? Why make it even easier to follow someone than it already is? I'm sure it would be far more confusing to end up upside down on accident with reversed controlls than it would be to get hit from behind once in a while.

4.) Give me some input into how it was more tactically sound to throw somebody while you were upside down in DBZ than if you were right-side up? Sounds like you're just into the aesthetics of it and aren't considering the confusion that would ensue with the reversed controlls issue and how potentially stupid it would look to get grabbed by somebody with a model that was flying around upside-down. It would make melee look clunky too unless they built in new code for it, which would take too long to be reasonable.

5.) Quake 3 and Half Life are different engines, sorry. The same code wont work on both. It would require a whole new string of code.

Finally: No, I don't think it would be a positive addition, even if they waited until 1.3 . I don't want to turn upside down while following somebody and have to hit some special button to flip myself back around. All it would do is give me a headache when I got into fast-paced swoop and tele fights where my opponent and I end up circling each other. One of us ends up upside down because we were trying to follow too closely, now left is right and right is left, up is down and down is up, uncool. It would also be uncool if my opponent could just swoop in a ridiculous looping pattern to hit me from behind if I wanted to try and block them (think Krillin or Buu).

Best answers
Recoom headplanted Vegeta correct? How did he achieve that? Flying right-way up and in a nice slow downward motion? NO! He was upside down. Maybe you just not good enough to keep up with some of us? :rolleyes:

The swoop has to be charged now it wont resultin in any worse a rediculous circle than you could do now think about it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom