Flowing water on Mars

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
it could just be some frozen gas.

but would be neat nonethe less

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Those look like landslides to me, but then I'm not a rocket scientist.

Why water is such a big deal to begin with is beyond me. Earth has hot springs, so I don't see why Mars wouldn't.

sub

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Water is a big deal because it is required for life as we know to develop. If we find water on Mars, then we can find water on other planets too and Earth is not special. The probability of life on other planets will increase ten fold. Granted, I have no doubt there is life on other planets, but for those that do, this would help convince them otherwise.

We see humans on Earth so I don't see why there wouldn't be humans on mars.

Best answers
We see humans on Earth so I don't see why there wouldn't be humans on mars.
cuz they don't havle cable TV ofc.

nah but for real. this is really interesting. its something to think about.
good find

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Don't you need water to form rust? Go figure that Mars might have water.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Don't you need water to form rust? Go figure that Mars might have water.
Yes, but you also need oxygen.

We know there's water vapor and water in the form of ice on mars, but we have yet to discover water in liquid form.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
theres water on one of jupiters moons. like real water.

and triton, one of neptune or saturns moons has the stuff for like bacteria and organisms to grow on.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
theres water on one of jupiters moons. like real water.
well there is one moon with an wave-inpenetrable atmosphere (we cant see inside the atmosphere) and one with an active molten core.

so that may be possible but we cant know that yet

Yes, but you also need oxygen
actually all you need is oxygen, but water speeds up the process of oxidization. so if mars has oxygen on it we have another supportive fact for life.

Best answers
There's water on earth as well, and we haven't even explored it all.. Maybe we should try to fully understand our own world before we start wasting money in space-exploration?

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
It's easier to send crap to Mars than it is to explore our oceans.

brainfeeder
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I've said this before on this forum.

But, Venus looked like Earth, Earth will look like Venus, and Mars will eventually look like Earth.

We're slowly rotating into the Sun.

sub

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
And far more interesting / beneficial imo to explore Space.

Best answers
There's water on earth as well, and we haven't even explored it all.. Maybe we should try to fully understand our own world before we start wasting money in space-exploration?
Colonising Mars doubles the chances of our races survival. One ensures our survival, the other allows us to look a purty fishes.

I know which one I'm choosing. Mars all the way.

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
We'll probably colonize the Moon before we ever colonize Mars. That said, don't underestimate what lies within the oceans. The ocean is as much a mystery to us as Mars is.

Colonizing anything before peace is reached in our world is probably a bad idea anyway. We'd just end up weaponizing space at a faster rate.

brainfeeder
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I think it will come down to people who want to stay on Earth for religious and traditional reasons, and then people who want to become a force in our galaxy.

I know what I said was half-logical, half-nerdy... but it sounded appropiate. :D

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I'm just hoping we make it to the point where we can choose between the two.

Gon

✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
We'll probably colonize the Moon before we ever colonize Mars. That said, don't underestimate what lies within the oceans. The ocean is as much a mystery to us as Mars is.

Colonizing anything before peace is reached in our world is probably a bad idea anyway. We'd just end up weaponizing space at a faster rate.
From what I remember, the moon moves away from the Earth a little each year, so that means everyone living on the moon will sooner or later drift off.

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
From what I remember, the moon moves away from the Earth a little each year, so that means everyone living on the moon will sooner or later drift off.
Not in any of our lifetimes o_O. If we ever lose our moon, I'm willing to bet humans would either have moved away already or we'd be extinct.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
well there is one moon with an wave-inpenetrable atmosphere (we cant see inside the atmosphere) and one with an active molten core.

so that may be possible but we cant know that yet

actually all you need is oxygen, but water speeds up the process of oxidization. so if mars has oxygen on it we have another supportive fact for life.

Howstuffworks.com--because wikipedia is overrated said:
For iron to become iron oxide, three things are required: iron, water and oxygen. Here's what happens when the three get together:
Wikipedia.org--because howstuffworks is overrated said:
is the chemical produced when iron compounds corrode in the presence of oxygen and water.
You need water for rust to form.

And just because there is oxygen on Mars doesn't mean there's life. It's called Anaerobic respiration. Where oxygen is not needed to sustain life.

wikipedia said:
Anaerobic is a technical word which literally means without air (where "air" usually means oxygen), as opposed to aerobic. In wastewater treatment the absence of oxygen is indicated as anoxic; and anaerobic is used to indicate the absence of any electron acceptor (nitrate, sulfate or oxygen)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom