First Impressions

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
This applies to me, I don't know if it does to anyone else but hey, that's what i'm trying to find out in this thread, it's not a psychological experiment or a one-word poll, just a good old fashioned oppinion thread.

Whenever I see someone, anyone post, I immediatley judge them on every aspect of it and subconsciously build up a mental portfolio of that person. Not just obvious things like spelling, but postcount, avatar, sig, join date and so forth. I automatically assume the poster/member looks like the character in his or her avatar, and hate them accordingly.

For instance, if I see someone with no avatar, sig or whatever, I immediatley think 'This person isn't worth the time of day to help.' If the same guy asked the same question with an avatar and sig, i'd probably be willing to help.

A sort of example of this is when I see an avatar of a DBZ character, I immediatley associate that character with that person forever. Perfect Cell's tend to be greasy, arrogant bastards. Super Saiyan 4's suggest 'OMFG I R TEH MOST POWAH-FUL!!!1!1' n00bs and so on, whereas Gotenks' are bursting with ****yness. Even if they're not like that, I assume they are, and act upon it.

Anyone else find this?

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Ehh....a tad judgemental lol (apparently so am i <_< >_>)?

I dont judge people from forums unless I've had several conversations with that person (or i begin to notice a pattern with the way the person addresses and acts towards others). After a while, i categorize that person and decide whether or not contact with this person is necessary (or just fun). If yes, we're friends. If no, goodbye.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Lol I love the way you think, I see what you mean though.

But....You don't have an avatar :O

(I look nothing like my avatar cuz I aint white/japanese)

Bolteh2

B
i just associate ppl with anime **** in their sigs with retarded 10-year oldes

don't get me started on ppl that call themselfs "god's gift to females"

Best answers
Yea i sometimes think like that, like if someone gives me advice on my model, my mind automatically tells me to look at the post count....i dont know why i do this though, is it because of trust?? but yea, i also dont like teh ssj4 avatars as well, makes me think down on them but if i actually know them then , you get my point dont you??

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
every time i see a certain person post, all i can think is "gooch"....

but no, normally if im reading someones post, ill judge purely on its content, and then decide if they seem like they know what they are talking about, or if they are trying to look good. (this applies to the modeling section...outside of their, i get owned pretty fast by all you off-topic regulars)

Best answers
well...i dont purposely mean to judge...but when i read those...when does the game release...type of posts n threads...i wish i could just IP travel and smack the life out of them...

but yea...anyone else...uhh is cool with me

Best answers
ok so if u were to look at my avatar and sig. thingy what would u say....

and i do the same thing i look at the avatar and then that immage is posted in my head of what the person looks like or how they would act....and i chose my avatar cause i thought it looked cool like...lol

:EDIT: I only have like 14 posts cause im new here

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I look at everything the user has to offer: Avatar, Signiture, Register Date, Post Count, etc, etc., then I make a mentle footnote of how I would class the person, what their age would probably be, etc.

Other than that, nothing.

Best answers
Yeah, I always judge people straight away. It's a bit more psychological though, I don't just hate someone because of having no sig or whatever, it's a combination of everything that I judge them on, and I'll keep doing it because I usually end up being right about people. Having said that, I do always envision people as their avatar which is pretty cool.
Btw, I'm nothing like my avatar. I'm not gangsta in any way, shape or form :p

★ Black Lounger ★
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
i dont like to judge, i listen to what they say and think about if i agree with them, if i think its entertaining etc.... if i make any "judgement" on them as a person its because of that.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
basicly my first impressions are mass hunk of secks

Right? :0

owa

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I just look at their grammar and spelling. Not in a nazi way. Just to see if they atleast made an attempt, rather then use prefixes or leet speech like a handicap. Obviously, I'm not the best speller or best with proper grammar, but I like when people atleast spell words to the best of their knowledge, and that their topic makes sense when I read it.

The Sinister Minister
Retired Forum Staff
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Though I also find that I'll put an avatar or sig image in place of the person's actual appearance, I cannot say that I generally use those to judge character. For instance, why I have the Grim Reaper as my avatar eludes even myself. I have no obsession with death or with learning about it...I just liked it because it was from Castlevania: Symphony of the Night :)

I do, however, use post count to judge some important things, though character is not among them.

Live free or die by the sword
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I rarely use anything but the persons behavior learned over time to judge them, I do not have the luxury of making incorrect calls.

King of the Hello Kitty Fanclub
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I try and base my impressions of people on what they say and do rather than post count or join date (face it we were all noobs once.) as for the avatar thing. Its so true, I was watching movie 9 and theres a part where ssj2 Gohan is walking and its a closeup of his head. That image is the avatar of Engar and it immediately made me think of him.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I think theres probably some psychological stigma, like, we see a character/person, empathise, associate it with ourselves and put it as our avatars. Then when other people see the avatar, they imagine that the person is like the character. It's good to know i'm not the only one who finds this...phew...thought I was going crazy.

I don't really have any gripes about low post counts...it's idiots with high ones that astonish me o_o

King of the Hello Kitty Fanclub
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I think join date is more relevant than post count. It shows how long they've been here and you can always use post count in association with join date to work out how active the user is. Although how active shouldn't take away from what kind of person they are.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom