Fibunacci Calculator

Best answers
Something (I'm not sure what...) gave me the idea to create a calculator that can find any number in the Fibunacci series. I've been working on this for a while now, and it's finally finished. I'm posting it here for review, comments and criticism. I'll post the source code later as well.

http://**********.com/files/9211193/Fib.zip.html - For some reason, the word R-a-p-i-d-s-h-a-r-e is filtered...

Usage: Enter a number in the Fibunacci series, and the program will find it's value. For those of you uneducated folks, here's an example of the Fibunacci series to give you an idea:

The 1st number in the Fibunacci series is 1. The 2nd number in the Fibunacci series is 1 as well. The 3rd number in the Fibunacci series is the sum of numbers 1 and 2, which is 2. The 4th number in the Fibunacci series is the sum of numbers 2 and 3, which is 3. The 5th number in the Fibunacci series is the sum of numbers 3 and 4, which is 5. Got an idea for it yet? Good.

Tell me what you think. I'll post the source later on.

P.S. I realize that this has absolutely nothing to do with bugs in ESF, but it seemed like a reasonable place to put it.

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Just so you know, it's spelled Fibonacci.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
It's not hard, there's a mathematical formula for it =/ 5C3 OMG!

So yeah, but hey you created it, which is more than what I can do (i can balance a pencil inside my fist) so grats.

Best answers
Source:
Code:
/*****************************************
*           XENON PRESENTS               *
*      The Fibonacci Calculator          *
*            Version 1.0.1               *
*****************************************/
#include iostream // Add the < and > yourself. It won't show up in CODE tags...

using std::cout;
using std::cin;

unsigned long int fib (unsigned long int n);

int main()
{
    unsigned long int n;
    int answer;

cout << "Enter number to find: ";
    cin >> n;

cout << "\n";

answer = fib(n);

cout << answer << " is the " << n;
    cout << "th Fibonacci number.\n";

cin.get();
    cin.ignore();

return 0;
}
unsigned long int fib (unsigned long int n)
{
         cout << "Processing fib(" << n << ")... ";

if (n < 3)
         {
               cout << "Return 1!\n";
               return (1);
         }
         else
         {
             cout << "Call fib(" << n-2 << ") ";
             cout << "and fib(" << n-1 << ").\n";
             return (fib(n-2) + fib(n-1));
         }
}
Enjoy. Also, any advice would be great. I'm still learning, and this is what I can do with what I know, but I'm learning extremely fast.

Best answers
You could do all of this with Excel easily... But nice work anyway. Good for improving you programming skills.

Best answers
Jariroth said:
You could do all of this with Excel easily... But nice work anyway. Good for improving you programming skills.
This isn't Excel, it's C++. And it was probably just as easy as with Excel.

But thanks for the somewhat constructive comments.

Best answers
Cool, now it would be a good training to eliminate recursion and do the same in a loop. Also, note that to calculate fib(n-1), you have to calculate fib(n-2) first, so you're doing some double work.

Best answers
harSens said:
Cool, now it would be a good training to eliminate recursion and do the same in a loop. Also, note that to calculate fib(n-1), you have to calculate fib(n-2) first, so you're doing some double work.
I haven't read about looping yet. I'm getting there though. Right now, I'm focused on trying to make good use of recursion.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
harSens said:
I've never thought about that. Changing a single line of code would make it much more efficient, without changing the result of the calculation.

Never met anyone who learned recursion before loops, but I guess everyone has a choice.
Have you ever programmed in another language before?

Best answers
Orbit said:
I've never thought about that. Changing a single line of code would make it much more efficient, without changing the result of the calculation.

Never met anyone who learned recursion before loops, but I guess everyone has a choice.
Have you ever programmed in another language before?
No, I haven't. C++ is my first language, although I've had experience with other languages (making simple value changes to scripts in C#, for example). But I'd never actually programmed anything until about a week ago.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Xenon said:
No, I haven't. C++ is my first language, although I've had experience with other languages (making simple value changes to scripts in C#, for example). But I'd never actually programmed anything until about a week ago.
C++ was my first language as well. If you wish to try something a bit more advanced in recursion, create a program which solves the Towers of Hanoi puzzle.

Best answers
frsrblch said:
Not bad. What was your motivation for undertaking this little endeavor? Are you teaching yourself how to program?

A 4th year CompEng I know had to make a program that solves Sudoku. So sure, programming is neat and fun at the beginning, but it quickly grows to be a pain. Just thinking about that guy spending hours debugging pages and pages of code makes me cringe.

Any chance of me liking programming was crushed by my first year CompEng class. It's not that I don't enjoy making programs that find prime numbers, but to have to spend a couple hours on something so useless every single week is irritating.
Believe me, I know how you feel. But it's all part of the learning process.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom