Expanding the 24 hour day

What do you think? (Expanding the day or not)

• Oh man, this will help me alot!!

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • Sounds nice, could be a nice change!

• Eh, I don't think theres much need of a change

Votes: 3 37.5%
  • This won't help

• Expanding the day is wrong!

Votes: 2 25.0%

• Total voters
Force Pit Member
Best answers
Well, I thought about something lately so give me your objective thoughts fellas.

What do you think if we would double our day, means we will have a 48 hours day. (Don't stop reading now, let me finish) I don't mean not sleeping for 36 hours then do sleep. Ill explain in 2 situations,
1 Is a high school student
2 Is a working man with family.

1 - student: Current day order: Lets say he wakes up to school at 6:30 AM, goes to school, comes back to his home at 3:30 PM, usually high schoolers get a 2-3 hours of homework a day and also come back tired from school. So lets say he ate and slept for 3 and a half hours. It's 7 PM, he still needs to do homework, lets say it took him 2 hours, its 9 PM, not much to spend the day, ah? maybe a bit with the family and a bit TV or computer or whatever, then sleep at about 11 PM cause theres school tomorrow.

New day order: He woke up at 6:30 AM, got to school, came back to his home at 3:30 PM, he could get some sleep till' 7 PM then relaxing at his home a bit or maybe go out with his friends, he came back to his home at about 2 AM (if gone out with his friends), goes to sleep, waking up at about 12 PM, now, because he has 12 hours free, he has enough time to do homework, being with his family, do his errands. (Like buying clothes if he needs or something like guitar lesson, or gym workout and such) Now, lets say he finished all his stuff at about 6 PM, he has some time again to chill out, playing the computer and just chilling. He finished "chilling" at 10 PM, in 10 PM he goes to sleep. (A teenager needs a good night sleep because his growing) A all new day, waking up at 6:30 AM and goes to school. So its 48 hours a day.

2 - A working grown up: Current day order - Usually grown ups wake up very early, so lets say 5 AM, his waking up at 5 AM, goes to work, and comes back at 7 PM, he is very tired but he gotta have some time for his kids and his wife but he is very tired, so he holds until 9 PM. Wakes up at 5 AM again. Pretty tough ain't it?

New day order - Wakes up at 5 AM, going to work, coming back at 7 PM, having an hour with his family, going to sleep at 8:30 PM, wakes up at 9 AM and has some time to be with his family for a logical amount of time, can do his errands (Grown ups have lots of this) can relax in his home, spend some time and "quality time" with his wife, going with friends and maybe even keeping is health up (its very important in this age, my dad got an heart attack because he didn't worked out at all)
and a more peaceful way of living and keeping a stress - free life style. Lets say he finished everything at 9 PM, goes to sleep with a decent amount of time and the next day work ;)

I know some people organize them self well but even they live on the edge, its not healthy!

Please, please be objective.

And theres no need to flame anyone, not me and not other repliers.
If you are against this idea please explain yourself, and if possible improve it.
Oh and yeah, no "this stupid idea" posts.

Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Wouldnt that kinda make 182.5 days per year?

So wee would need 2 years to get the 365 days in. Allso due to the less time actually spent on school it would allso have to be extended or speed up by two times. Now if it would be two times faster then some people migt have problems keaping up. But if it was twice as long, youd have summer vacation only once every two years. That would allso mean one class in school would take 2 years.

As for the working man. Company profits would get sliced in half. And while your solution does suit the individual it in no way suits the economy.

All products would take either two times longer to get finished and thus less pay or the company would have to hire more people to fill in the second "half" day shift in order to maintain production. That would lead to either reducing pays again or raising the price of the product so the workers can keep their pay. Since more workers need more money.

While your solution do fix the stress and problems of a single person (generaly speaking) it would not do well for the country. Taxes would get higher, stuff would cost more and people would get less payed, school would take longer or it would go so fasst that people couldnt keep track. Imagine school like this. Either 2 years per class or going through the subjects of a whole year in only half a year.

Objectivly speaking i think the cons outweight the pros. There should be other better ways to fix theese things. And one of them would be to erase capitalism from this planet.

Force Pit Member
Best answers
yeah, but how erasing capitalizem will help students to get less so stressed from all the homework and tests and such? btw, I think if there was no capitalizem my idea could be used. (Money....)

The Duke of Juke
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
yeah, but how erasing capitalizem will help students to get less so stressed from all the homework and tests and such? btw, I think if there was no capitalizem my idea could be used. (Money....)
I don't think this is so much a problem of economy as it is man's natural sleeping rhythms. I've read studies on sleep saying that much of people's problems in this area relate highly to the amount of artificial light we keep around us, like computer screens, lamps and such at night.

Or maybe I'm just having a hard time grasping what you're meaning. It sounds to me you are talking more about Work/school one day, off the next, work/school another day off the next?

do you have problems getting to sleep early enough at night (10-12) and getting up early enough in the morning (5-8) ?

Force Pit Member
Best answers
No, I wake up when I need, I just feel I have too little time to finish school work stuff and errands and still have time to do stuff of my own.

And yeah, you can look at it as day work, day off, day work, day off.

Maybe we can get at least a free day in the middle of the week except Sundays? (Saturdays in Israel)

אני מלך - just a check if i can write Hebrew on the forum, ignore it.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I wish they'd test this out in your country first, so I could laugh at all the 36 year old high-school-students.

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Or you could save your time by either not doing your homework if you already know the material or doing it in class before you leave school. Once high school is over with, try to get yourself on a career path that isn't out to break you. You'll also have more time to do other things if you sleep less. I'm only able to sleep 3 or 4 hours a day so I'm usually able to get a lot done. Learn to manage your time wisely and 24 hours won't seem that bad.

sub

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I wouldn't be in favor of having off and every other day (Well, it would be awesome, but it's not practical..).

I would be in favor of starting school later, though. There's no need to start it as early as we do, no one enjoys waking up that early and while I have no evidence to back this up, I'd imagine children getting more sleep would be healthy for them, and their grades would probably increase, too.

Personally, every single day I had highschool, I struggled to wake up. I had to get up at 6 o' clock and it was torture, every single day. I slept in any class I could =/

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Eh, you are basically giving everyone a day off for every day they work. Capitalist or not, this would not work in an industrialized society.

Assuming they do not get paid on these days off, income is cut in half. Not cool. No matter the economies workings, money matters and this plan kind of put a giant constraint on everything productive. I would LOVE more days off, but does that mean the clerks in the store get the days off as well? Then who pays for my clothes? Do they do shifts? And if you keep weekends, that means people get like 2-4 days to work.

Sorry, but it's a bit unrealistic and counterproductive to the way we work....Also, if I ever got home at 2 AM from hanging out with friends, my parents wouldn't let me live long enough to see the next day off.

Best answers
Actually, it means 2 birthdays in a year.....

oh but would Mr Sun listen to us calender framers?

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
It'd also mean two Christmases. This would thoroughly **** with the tax-system in Norway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom