Ever Dabbled with the Tux?

Best answers
By Tux i mean the lovable Linux mascot.

Well after reading dReAm KiLiEr's thread about tring out Linux, I was wondering how many in the community are using linux. Whether it be dual booting with another OS, or only running linux, or even having two computers where one runs linux and the other running another OS.

For those who dont use linux, have you tried running linux before, and if you havn't would you try running it and giving it a try?

I expect most people are just using Windows, so heres are few links to popular Linux distrobutions:

Ubuntu
Fedora Core or Fedora Core Forum for more info
Suse

There are many more, just have a look at Distro Watch and there is a list of the current popular distrobutions.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Aye, a dual-booter I be.

I'm probably not much more than basic Linux user myself, but just the process of installing and using Linux can teach you things about computers you probably wouldn't learn otherwise.

For those that are interested in trying Linux, but are afraid of messing up your Windows install, check out LiveCDs - many distros offer them. They're a great way to try a Linux distro with no strings attached.

"In a world without walls and fences, why do we need Windows and Gates?"

Heh.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
DragonDude said:
"In a world without walls and fences, why do we need Windows and Gates?"
Quoted for truth.

I myself have only sen Linux in action when my brother uses it (I think he uses Redhat last time I checked). Ever since Kurt showed me screens of Gentoo iv'e been thinknig of switching to it (Just gotta get my old 40gig drive off my brother and i'll use that for a linux distro :)).

Best answers
Gentoo... linux for the hardcore people in my opionion. I do plan on getting a Gentoo system up one day, when I get a better internet connection speed, and a better understanding on the in's and out's of linux. And when i eventually print out and read through the manual, and its a big manual. Not to put you off, but if you can get Gentoo running, you can get any distrobution running, im my limited experience.

Good Luck to you if decide to go for it and install Gentoo. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom