ESF shuts down

Best answers
I tried to start a game in ESF. I went to LAN games, create game, choosed a map and started it. There came that loading thing, but little after it there came a window telling that ESF has found an error and it has to be shut down. I tried allready different video modes and reinstall ESF but it didn't work :(

MC

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I tried to start a game in ESF. I went to LAN games, create game, choosed a map and started it. There came that loading thing, but little after it there came a window telling that ESF has found an error and it has to be shut down. I tried allready different video modes and reinstall ESF but it didn't work :(
Can you post a screenshot of the error message?

Best answers
The error message is in finnish, you wont understand it.

Best answers
Ok.. I'll give it a try.. "Half-Life Launcher has found an error, and the produce has to be shut down. We are sorry (word I don't know how to translate).
If you just have changed some informations, they may be lost.
Report from this problem to Microsoft.
You can send a report to us. Information of the report will be handled trusted (not sure is trusted the right, but they mean trust) and (word I can't translate).
You can get the reports info from --clicking here--."

After that, there are two options, "send a report" and "don't send"..

Best answers
As far as I know I don't use Steam to open ESF? xD
Edit: I have reinstalled it a few days ago again because it didn't work.

Best answers
"STEAM USERS
1) Download and install the Steam engine from here.
2) Run Half-Life once so that Steam has the files and directories required by ESF's installer.
3) Install ESF beta 1.2 using the installer from this page.
4) Launch Steam, go to Games and double click on Earth's Special Forces under Third Party Mods to start a game of ESF.
5) Click Find Servers.
6) Click Change Filters, make sure ESF is selected."

I don't really understand how am I supposed to do that ^^'

MC

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
"STEAM USERS
1) Download and install the Steam engine from here.
2) Run Half-Life once so that Steam has the files and directories required by ESF's installer.
3) Install ESF beta 1.2 using the installer from this page.
4) Launch Steam, go to Games and double click on Earth's Special Forces under Third Party Mods to start a game of ESF.
5) Click Find Servers.
6) Click Change Filters, make sure ESF is selected."

I don't really understand how am I supposed to do that ^^'
Go to this link: http://steampowered.com/v/index.php?area=getsteamnow&

On that page, there's a button on the right side that says "FREE DOWNLOAD", click on that and download the file to your desktop. Once it is done downloading, execute it/install it. Once you've installed it, you need to make a new account, this can be done through the Steam client. Next, you need to register your Half-Life CD-Key for your account. Once you've registered your copy of Half-Life, and Steam downloads all of the necessary updates, you need to run Half-Life at least once in order to install ESF. Once you've ran Half-Life once, proceed to install ESF. Once ESF is installed, it should appear in your "My Games" tab in Steam.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
This is how:

ESF will NOT work with any game other than Half-Life 1

1. Download Steam.

2. Run the .exe file you just downloaded to install Steam and let it update completely. You will need your CD-Key from the back of your Half-Life 1 case.

3. When Steam is finished updating, turn it on.

4. Under the "Games" selection in the Steam toolbar, select "Activate a product on Steam..." and input your CD-Key.

5. Once your CD-Key is authenticated, download Half-Life 1 from Steam and let it update completely.

6. Once that is done, run Half-Life 1 once.

7. Download ESF v1.2.3 full installer.

8. Run the installer.

9. It will point to the correct directory for you, so just hit install. The directory should look somewhat like this :
C:\Program Files\Steam\SteamApps\Your Account\half-life\esf

10. ESF should now appear in your games list.

11. Double-click and enjoy!

And for CRYING OUT LOUD, read the ****ing stickies!!!! Every freaking one of them!! Which includes:

How to install ESF
Frequently Asked Questions
Newbies Guide to the ESF Forums
How to ask for help
Acceptable Use Policy (AUP)

I think there should be a rule on this forum about that. Seems there's no other way to tell people to read them except giving out warnings ;(. And I'm pretty sure people are sick of me posting the same thing over and over and over for every newbie that comes along, and I don't blame them.

Best answers
Bah, before we jump the gun here. You do realise you need a Valid Half-Life Key in order to play ESF right?? You can't play ESF just by simply getting Steam.

-GuZzie

Mog

Best answers
He already has Half-Life... therefore you should just assume he also has a valid Half-Life CD key. :]
It's not good to ask someone if they have done something illegal without any evidence.

Best answers
Yea, it works now :) Thank you all very much, the game rocks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom