ESF-Bots....I don't like them!

Orz

Best answers
One on one the bots are very easy to defeat, even on the highest settings. I usually end the game with a score ratio something like 50/5 - no challenge there.

However, if you try to fight MULTIPLE bots, you're entering dangerous territory. They play table tennis with you in melee when you have your attention focused in the other direction...

Best answers
the bots are good if u turn the percentage level of there attacks up on them they get harder and they will block ur attacks

Best answers
i cant beat a bot one on one with it set to "good" and the melee set to 40-60%.

What is the basic technique to meleeing successfully? All I can workout is to keep pummeling the bot with turbo switched on, and swoop & hit, regardless of if it blocks or not. I found if I start blocking the bots melee, I can't get the chance to attack again. The new block-counter delay gets you *****-smacked across the map everytime.

Here is a suggestion for new versions of ESF-Bot. Have a toggle setting for "Honour". If the bot has honour, it won't attack you while you transform. :D

✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
Originally posted by catfish
i cant beat a bot one on one with it set to "good" and the melee set to 40-60%.

What is the basic technique to meleeing successfully? All I can workout is to keep pummeling the bot with turbo switched on, and swoop & hit, regardless of if it blocks or not. I found if I start blocking the bots melee, I can't get the chance to attack again. The new block-counter delay gets you *****-smacked across the map everytime.

Here is a suggestion for new versions of ESF-Bot. Have a toggle setting for "Honour". If the bot has honour, it won't attack you while you transform. :D
for the swoop the one who wins the swoop is the player with the most ki. Since bots mostly powerup at the good moments they have a good ki managament :p but not perfect just train with it and you can win (like me :) )

for the honor thing, heh i already had that idea only a bit different. It should be an option, and if on the bots won't attack you if you can't move, this is much easier and less work for me :)

🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I thought the bots didn't melee if you were going ssj anyway? They sometimes throw a beam at you but its not enough to kill you (most of the time).
I don't know how you can't counter them though. I don't have any problem 1v1 countering a bot. 2v1 or 3v1 though is a different story. They all melee you at the same time and then you counter one and the other one hits you. One time I just sat and blocked to see what they would do and one of them started to circle behind me while the other one stayed where it was. It scared the **** out of me lol. Another time I heard beams coming at me. I double teleported back and saw two beams criss cross my old position. Me and my friend who were fighting them just starting laughing in disbelief.

All and all these bots are awesome. They've provided me with some memorable moments in only the few short hours I played with them. The most impressive thing about them though is the team play aspect. They swarm like nothing I've ever seen before...

✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
its not coded that they shouldn't do it... it (still) need some more optimizing when hitting someone who stands still...

🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Strange... They kept swooping and not hitting us but it may be that the aura changed the hit location or something...

Naz

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
oh, when u want to melee a bot easily, try once NOT to swoop, I noticed they react on swoops not on actual meleeing, thus, teleport closely and right click instead of swooping, that should do it :]

✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
Originally posted by Scorcher2k
Strange... They kept swooping and not hitting us but it may be that the aura changed the hit location or something...
yep thats a weird prob that happens sometimes, i think its cuz they swoop to you and have an other player targeted

Originally posted by Naz
oh, when u want to melee a bot easily, try once NOT to swoop, I noticed they react on swoops not on actual meleeing, thus, teleport closely and right click instead of swooping, that should do it
sssssht !!
anyway you're right :( i need to change that :p

Best answers
ummm, no i disagree with that. this was one of my common tactics before the new bots:

swoop in from afar
cancel the swoop about a teleport distance from the character
teleport once and hit.

the bots smash my face in everytime.

Orz

Best answers
I just played an 8 bot free-for-all in ESF_Cell_Day as Piccolo... it was fun, if insane, and I ended with 108 frags/20 deaths, with the next bot at 21 frags. If they're not in a team I can comfortably take eight at a time now, especially as I've finally become accustomed to their little traits.

Basically, they're easy to melee if you've adapted to 1.1 melee like I have. Ki management is essential, as well as taking advantage of bots when they're busy - they're great at dodging SBCs EXCEPT for when they're in mid-swoop. Silly bots. If you swoop, cancel your swoop, charge up and swoop again, you can do this while the bot has one long continous swoop. Result - one bruised bot.

They also have short attention spans and will attack whoever is closest. Teleport away until they find somebody else to focus on, then swoop in and hit them. When there are eight crazed bots around, watch the radar and the minute a dot closes in, face it, block, and prepare to teleport and counter attack. The bots, being silicon as they are, can't adapt to anything intuitive.

Though I've comfortably conquered them by now, these bots are still far beyond anything else I've ever seen in a mod. And bot support is essential for me - with a 56k modem and a dubious ISP, I only play on LANs. This makes practice difficult, and bots have proven more than effective. I'm really pleased the bots are an important part of ESF and hope they'll move on to the later version as well.

✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
:scared: ok what should i do now improve them or make them less harder ;) anyway i take nr 2 for now; less hard on low skill after that i prolly make more different skills, 5 is not many IMO.

But orz i agree with you they are a bit static for now i see the current version more as a base and improve every part in the bot for later but on lower skill they should be still defeateble for less skilled people. And well if you can manage that your ki is as high enuf you have a good chance to win(a swoop), well next thing: improve the powerup code ;)

But still i've seen much people (online) who are less skilled then my bot :D ;)

Best answers
pfft yu guys seem to play with only a few bots :)

i plays a 20players server and adds bots to all other 19slots on what difficult i dont konw but i think its the one before the highest ... okey im getting my ass whopped but its fun :) i like hte bots very much buts as some states they are darn hard to beat in melee

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
the reason bots pwn us all is because they cannot be suprised and easly confused, you cannot tele out of the way as if they were a player, they just swing round and attack,you cannot fire a beam from a distance while there busy, they always tele just out of range, basiclly, most tactics used by us involve either confusing the opponent or suprising them, with these options taken away by bots... we lose our ulitmate ability, and finally, the pc's reactions are 1/100th of a second to press a button, out is about half a second to press a button, so the pc's reactions win us every time.. this basiclly goes by the rule

" how can you beat the the creator of the image before you, the controller every action you use. how can you beat them if they know what button your going to press before you actually do, how can you if they know every secret, every tactic, and every place that you dont?"

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
gargh! i am BIG BOSS! i speak only untainted knowlage!
anyways.. well.. at least i pretty much pointed out the moral of this thread with a bang :p

✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
hehe agreed but the patch is coming on his way and then the bots can be surprised :yes:

Best answers
I really enjoy these bots. However, there are a couple of things:

- Kame Torpedos. Bots don't really notice 'em, which is bad news...for them. In a one on one, try charging up as many as you can directly in front of you while facing your enemy: if you stay there, he won't be able to beat you. If he swoops, it's not that hard to hit him with one, or switch to melee yourself. If he beams, throw a couple of the torps into it, then add a generic beam. Voila, one cooked bot.

- Block struggles. Occasionally, the beam will get stuck, and it will detonate only on /kill or after a long wait (up to five minutes). I believe this is a problem with the bot(s) running out of ki, since the bot on the recieving end will drop out of flight and stay stuck as well.

Good job, ME.

Lost in space
Banned
Best answers
You forgot that bots who see you will fly atcha and you'll BOTH die... I've had more trouble with that than any other things you've mentioned.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom