DX9L Will be DX10 for XP!

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=35110
The Inquirer said:
WE MANAGED TO glean a few facts about the upcoming DirectX 9.0 L we told you about here.

DirectX 9.0 L is simply a renamed and refurbished DirectX 10 for Windows XP. It will make DirectX 10 games to work on Windows XP.

And games such as the upcoming Crysis won't work on the existing DirectX 9.0 c. they need a DirectX 9.0 L

One of the biggest issues is the fact that Nvidia or ATI won't have any mainstream or entry-level cards until at least mid- to end of Q1 2007. This suggests that if Vista tips up around the beginning of the year, gamers will be turned off by it.

Electronic Arts, the publisher of Crysis, wants to sell hundreds or thousands, even millions of copies and we doubt that Nvidia can produce and sell that many Geforce 8800 GTX and GTS cards.

It will be interesting to see whether the Windows XP Crysis will be different from the Vista ones.
Seems that you won't need vista for DX10 as some people already believe (Unless that game requires vista for other reasons).

itr

✔️ HL Verified
🍂 Regular
Best answers
I won't believe it till a credible source posts about this.

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Why isnt the inquirer considered a credible source?

Even with 9.0L, I doubt I'd be able to play Crysis.

Live free or die by the sword
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I don't plan on buying Crysis if it's starforce protected, I like my IDE drivers uninterrupted by Hollywood and Moscow's dirty little love child. Still, it's nice to hear that DX9.0L, L undoubtably standing for "legacy" was designed with saving M$'s bacon in mind. DX10 is all good and fancy, but I see no reason at all to upgrade to Vista. I just hope Microsoft doesn't pull the plug on WinXP activation, that would mean you could never reload your legacy OS.

Desire to switch to Linux is rising.

G-Bear
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
Discord Member
Best answers
Zeonix said:
Why isnt the inquirer considered a credible source?

Even with 9.0L, I doubt I'd be able to play Crysis.
Because of Fuad. ;O

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Interesting find, Overlord. It looks a little ... strange, though to say that Crysis will not work on DX9 cards, considering that for the longest time, it was being displayed on DX9 cards.

Something else I don't exactly set easy with:
Inquirer said:
DirectX 9.0 L is simply a renamed and refurbished DirectX 10 for Windows XP. It will make DirectX 10 games to work on Windows XP.
DirectX 10 is intricately weaved within Vista. It's not something that can be just dumped onto another operating system. It's not a dump trunk, it's a series of tubes.
Devion said:
Because of Fuad. ;O
Haha, +1.

Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Mr. Zorg said:
Interesting find, Overlord. It looks a little ... strange, though to say that Crysis will not work on DX9 cards, considering that for the longest time, it was being displayed on DX9 cards.

Something else I don't exactly set easy with:
DirectX 10 is intricately weaved within Vista. It's not something that can be just dumped onto another operating system. It's not a dump trunk, it's a series of tubes.
Haha, +1.
Well, refurbished doesn't sound like dumping, it sounds like DX10 Emulator.

Best answers
Cucumba said:
Yep, i dont think Playstation,N64,GBA...etc games were meant for computers, but you can still play them on it.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Cucumba said:
Well that would explain a lot.

By the way, refurbished doesn't sound like either dumping nor DX10 Emulator. I even said them outloud to make sure, Mr. Silly Poo.

As you could quite rightly expect, Windows XP and DirectX 9 are still going to be around for some time yet. Officially Windows XP will cease to be supported at the end of 2006, but that doesn't mean it'll just vanish off home users machines (it may well vanish very quickly off corporate networks though). Application compatibility is a big factor in a new OS such that DirectX 9 applications built for Windows XP will still work under Windows Vista, and there will even be an updated version of DirectX 9 to take advantage of the new driver model in Vista ("DirectX 9.L").

For the time period running up to Windows Vista (currently estimated somewhere towards the end of 2006) it makes sense to continue developing for DirectX 9 with an eye towards targeting DirectX 9.L (as and when details are available). If you follow the guidelines in this article (as well as any others you can find) then updating to be Direct3D 10 compatible (or to make use of its features) should be fairly straight forward.
http://www.gamedev.net/reference/programming/features/d3d10overview/page2.asp

DX9L isn't quite DX10. It's just an updated DX9 to take advantage of the new driver model in use in windows vista, so it's a DX9 that's usable in Vista.

Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Therefore, it is a DX9 with built in WinXP emulator. I still see little reason to buy Vista. I'm also positive that the slapasses at Microslut internally call it 9 Legacy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom