Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Smelly Stewie

• Naked Stewie

• Total voters
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Motion blur is going to make things look really cool in games to come. Even these DX10 ports should have it, and it makes things look really cool. Even in the Lost Planet demo, which is a blatant console port, it adds a lot in the way of realism. Explosions are still just giant animated sprites, but I can forgive that because the debris from them that flies past you moves as a streak through the air. Sure, there are some glitches when some of the aliens slash at you, but I'd blame the game for that.

Other than the motion blur though, it could very well be a DX9 game.

Best answers
You don't need dx10 to do proper motion blur.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
You don't need dx10 to do proper motion blur.
Yeah, it really is quite a simple shader... I wonder why it hasn't been used before, it's such a cool effect.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I remember Jinto added motion blur into Half-Life (as a test before it was to be implemented into BTL), the faster you travelled (be it walk, run or train), the more it blurred. It was a pretty cool effect, smoothed out the graphics too.

frsrblch said:
Explosions are still just giant animated sprites, but I can forgive that because the debris from them that flies past you moves as a streak through the air.
I'd love to see that in action if you know where I can find a video of it?

★ Black Lounger ★
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I dunno if you guys saw the same things i did, but direct x 10 does some things to renders which i think are quite... nifty. It softens and sharpen edges a lot better depending on materials and lighting. It anti aliases/blurs textures in places which make more sense, like looking at a brick wall from the front, u can see all the detail, but looking at it from an angle you notice how the texture in it will appear much weaker the further away from your eyes, this allows for more realistic rendering of surfaces and materials, plus I saw a few things which show how the light reacts with these surfaces are even better than I've seen before, maybe due to the fact that the normal mapping seems to work even better. I really think it's an improvement.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
If anyone has a G80, check out nZone's Cascade demo. It's just a little tech demo, but it shows a couple examples of what DX10 can do.
And it's great if you've just gotten a new computer, and are starved for stuff to make it do.
Cascade is a terrain/waterfall generator, complete with bugs, physics for the water, and wetting for where the water touches the rock.

All of it is done by the GPU.

It's also pretty taxing on said GPU... runs nice and smooth at 800x600 though. :rolleyes:

Best answers
Everyone stop worrying, by time DX10 is mainsteam then tons of cheap DX10 cards will be out,

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Yeah frsrblch, that's Nvidia showing of their new Geometry shaders if I am right. Pretty cool.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
to be honest, a DirectX-10 card, running DirectX-10 games, will be worth it for the frame rate increase alone, over the same game being run in DX9 mode on a DX9 card.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom